SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
96Firebird
96Firebird is on a distinguished road

Default P0410 code...

Girlfriend's '99 SC2, DOHC motor, 90k miles. Continuous P0410 code, tried clearing and it came right back. I don't think the pump is working, because while we used to hear it when she first got the car, it no longer comes on when the car starts. I'm pretty sure it is either a dead pump, or the temperature sensor is not working. First question, how do I go about testing the pump? Second question, will the pump turn on if the code is active? Third, should I be checking the ETCS before or after testing the pump?

I'm thinking this should be fairly easy since I know the pump isn't turning on, I just have to figure out why. How would I go about testing the pump? Also, where should I look to get a new pump? Inspection is due at the end of this month, so I'd like to get this figured out as soon as possible.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96Firebird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96Firebird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: P0410 code...

You can apply 12 V directly from the battery to the air pump to see if it works. You can also check for 12 V at the connector to the air pump after a cold start. You should read 12 V at the connector for 30-60 seconds typically on a cold start. If you get power at the connector, but the pump does not run with 12 V applied directly, the pump is dead. Yes, the pump will run if working while P0410 is active.

Air pump is a dealer only item, but you might visit your local pick and pull and find one that works with 12 V applied. All 2000-2002 S series and some late 90's versions from CA have the pump.

There are a number of components downstream of the pump that can fail and lead to P0410. The vacuum source to the solenoid valve (on top of the a/c compressor - two vacuum lines attached) can fail if the line is cracked or broken. The diverter valve, adjacent to the solenoid valve, can fail to open. The solenoid valve itself can fail. And finally, the air passage through the little 1/2 OD stainless steel tube between the diverter valve and exhaust manifold, or the passages in the exhaust manifold itself and through the head can get packed with crud.

If you determine that the air pump does not work, replace it. If it does work, then pull the aforementioned ss tube off and do a cold start. Air should be flowing freely out the diverter valve and exhaust gases coming out of the hole in the manifold. If no air from the diverter valve, either that valve or the solenoid may be bad. If you get good air flow but no exhaust out of the hole in the manifold, it is time to pull the manifold and do some cleaning.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

If the pump is good, I would take off tube to exh. manifold to see if plugged, which it will probably be, cleaning it might help but the passages in the manifold will be plugged to, be best to remove it and scrape it and check the little holes in the head where passages line up and make sure there cleared too, get some PB blaster for the rusty nuts before trying to remove them, had a 01 TC I rebuilt and it was completely plugged with a P0410 code and fixed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Watch this video and follow all the steps to find everything that is wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrmkxj6wJE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
96Firebird

Alright, spent some time tonight trying to troubleshoot this...

First, I checked voltage at the connector coming into the pump. +14V, give or take. Next, I applied 12V to the pump via a jumper box. The pump turned on, but didn't sound too good. So I plugged it back in and checked the voltage with it plugged in, 0V. So at this point I got really confused and thought maybe it was the connector. So I cut the connectors at did a straight wire, but was still getting 0V when connected. The pump still turned on when I used the jump box, and the connector still read +14V when it wasn't connected to the pump. So at this point I decided to just take out the pump, and as I was taking it out water poured out of it. I assume this means the pump is shot and I need to get a new one? I'm almost positive the valves are working fine, because I can feel exhaust coming out of the port that connects to the hose that goes to the pump. It will only shoot out exhaust gas less than a minute, at which point I'm guessing the system closes.

Am I correctly assuming the pump is not working, considering water came pouring out of it? I'm just confused as to why it wouldn't turn on when hooked up to its regular source, but would spin with the jump box (that was outputting +12V, I checked to make sure). Any ideas? Also, is it ok to leave that port open while I get a new pump? I realize I may pollute the earth a little more on start-up, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 96Firebird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

If you need the pump I have a spare off a 01Sc2 that I totaled and it was working, let me know, PM me give u a good deal on it, do like he says in the vid and check everything as I have spare parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Yes, pump is likely shot if full of water. When they don't work, the moist exhaust from the cold engine flows into the pump and condensation collects. Sounds like your diverter valve is opening and closing and the passages are reasonably clear if you get exhaust flow backwards through the system with the hose disconnected.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
96Firebird

What is the GM part number for the pump?

Is it 21015056, and is this the part?

Can't post URLs, so search Amazon for 21015056...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are 2 different pumps and associated mounting brackets, that is the part number for late 99 and 2000. They are interchangeable if you get the pump and bracket. Junkyard works well for this and a couple of alligator jumpers and a 12V battery tests them out. Your pump may be just fine try spinning it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
96Firebird

Well the car is a '99, is the other pump for 2001? So I can safely assume there is only 1 pump for the '99 cars? The bracket is still in the car, and I still have all the hardware needed (bushings, fasteners, etc...). I just want to get one, put it in, and clear the code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 99 has 2 different pumps, the number you have is late 99, 00, early 01. Then there is a late 01-02 pump.

Like I said a trip to the JY for a working pump with bracket makes it easy as then they all swap. Find one that looks like yours.

Are you sure your pump is dead? Being water filled does not always kill them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!