SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default SES P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance" 97 SW1

Today after 30 mile drive the SES light went on and I extracted Code P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance" on my '97 SW1.

True enough it was completely caked and encrusted in carbon and the little pindle was stuck. This is a cheapo EGR that I got from Autozone which I replaced the original oem EGR with 3-4 years ago.

I un-bolted & extracted the EGR and cleaned the EGR with Berryman's Throttle Body Cleaner dug out all the crud and got the pindle moving freely...

I re-positioned and bolted the EGR back onto the engine and started her up...

SES light went back on and with the same Code P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance".

Does that mean the EGR is toast and should I just get a new one and replace it entirely?

Thanks,
tgparker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SES P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance" 97 SW1

Google how to measure egr position sensor and motor values with a multimeter. There are several ways for egr valves to fail; sticking (mechanical) pintle valve, damaged position sensor and faulty motor (both electrical). Cleaning it covers only the mechanical portion, leaving the feedback position sensor and motor as other possible failures.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have actually got it cleaned out then you need to pull the PCM B fuse as I listed in your other post to reset the closed position or you will keep getting the code. Measuring the resistance may prove the valve is no good but they are expensive and the quality of used JY valves and the aftermarket valves is iffy at best. It is not an easy replacement.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
tgparker

1997 SW1

The cheapo 3 year old (Chinese cheapo) EGR from the 'zone does looks rusty and corroded around the edges between the plastic connector/cap and the metal body of the EGR. I wish that I had kept and cleaned the older OEM EGR instead of throwing it out. Oh well, live and learn. I will pull the PCM B fuse when I go outside to check and see if the P1401 code come up again. It's a little warmer today 52F but it's overcast this am. Hope the weather holds long enough to do a little more work on the car.

I have ordered a replacement eBay EGR which should arrive by Thursday.
EGR Valve Standard EGV544T W/ Gasket
http://r.ebay.com/OIirBA

So I have a couple of days to do some of the other chores on the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you have actually got it cleaned out then you need to pull the PCM B fuse as I listed in your other post to reset the closed position or you will keep getting the code. Measuring the resistance may prove the valve is no good but they are expensive and the quality of used JY valves and the aftermarket valves is iffy at best. It is not an easy replacement.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
tgparker

1997 SW1

Removed the PCM B fuse for 5 minutes and cleared the P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance" Code.

Car still idling low.

Taking car out for 5 mile spin to see if the P1401 "EGR Closed Position Performance" Code comes back.

Quote:
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

As to this supposed low idle. Cut up a can so you can block both EGR ports and see if that solves some of the idle issue. This will set a code so do not be surprised. Set the can piece on top of the EGR gasket and then put the EGR on top of that and install bolts, Do Not over torque these bolts.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are to many threads with the same related problem.

Check the exhaust system for leaks and follow this procedure. Check everything from the cylinder head to the flange behind the CAT.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT inlet with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
tgparker

1997 SW1

Found a leak in the gasket where the exhaust manifold meets the flex pipe. Looks like something the previous owner had done. It looks like a half-assed home-made gasket. No wonder it finally leaked. I'll temporarily patch it with some Walker black muffler paste and hope it holds long enough for me to get a new gasket. Also if the idle goes back up then we'll know THAT was the problem. The three exhaust manifold/flex-pipe bolts & buts are totally rusted together. Gonna be a ***** to remove. Ideas? I don't have a cutting torch.

Quote:
There are to many threads with the same related problem.

Check the exhaust system for leaks and follow this procedure. Check everything from the cylinder head to the flange behind the CAT.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT inlet with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Soak fully for several days with any decent penetrating oil and after the 1st gay rap on the SIDE of the nut with a blunt punch and hammer. Wire brush off all the rust on the threads. They usually come off as long as you use something like an impact. They will twist off by just pulling on them though. Pull first in the tighten direction and then in the unscrew direction. If they do not move go to the next and after trying all 3 then go back and whack the sides again. The rust easily powders and lets go once you get any one started to come loose. That is a generic WALKER gasket and any parts store has it. Sometimes putting in 2 of them helps and be sure the clamp under the car in front of the flex joint is in place and tight or the new gasket will last about 1 week.