SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default 97 SW1 Timing Cover Replacement. Help Please?

The idler pulley wheel sleeve/boss/peg sheared off my 97 SW1 timing cover, I tried all kinds of fixes, that didn't really work, so I have to replace the whole timing cover.

1.) Can this be done with the engine still in the car?

2.) I was unable to locate any good YouTubes on how to do this. Are there any good videos or YouTubes how this is done.

3.) Are there any good message threads on SaturnFans how to do this with Photos?

4.) I got a JY timing cover and it looks mechanically sound but it is dirty and covered in grease and corrosion spots. What's the best way to clean it up. what're the best cleaning products to use on aluminum?

Thanks in advance.
tgparker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
tgparker

1997 SW1
Default Re: 97 SW1 Timing Cover Replacement. Help Please?

What other parts should I order for this project?

so far I have ordered:

1.) JY timing cover.

2.) Timing chain & gears kit from eBay.
9598 Saturn SC1 SL SL1 SW1 1.9L SOHC Timing Chain GMB Water Pump Kit VIN 8
http://r.ebay.com/3qXaXu

3.) Melling K196 Oil Pump Repair Kit
Melling K196 Oil Pump Repair Kit
http://r.ebay.com/KNZeS7

What else should I order and replace?

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will need a new front crank seal. Use a FelPro brand and you can get the part number at RockAuto and then buy one locally. You will need a can or tube of slow set/cure RTV or The Right Stuff. doing a cover in the car is tough as the RTV sets before you get the cover on and you end up with a pan leak. SOHC and DOHC are identical steps just slightly different shape and only a single cam sprocket.

This is for a DOHC but all the steps are functionally identical.
Head replacement and chain remove-replace
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168496

SOHC pix. SOHC (1999) https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...M-sgqDt-K26-gE
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
tgparker

1997 SW1

Thanks for the pix and threads.

I'm still assembling all the different parts I'll need to replace.

Will I also need this part?

JV1174 Victor Reinz Timing Cover Gasket Set
http://r.ebay.com/GGZ9MH

Are there ever any other parts that I'll need to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You will need a new front crank seal. Use a FelPro brand and you can get the part number at RockAuto and then buy one locally. You will need a can or tube of slow set/cure RTV or The Right Stuff. doing a cover in the car is tough as the RTV sets before you get the cover on and you end up with a pan leak. SOHC and DOHC are identical steps just slightly different shape and only a single cam sprocket.

This is for a DOHC but all the steps are functionally identical.
Head replacement and chain remove-replace
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168496

SOHC pix. SOHC (1999) https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...M-sgqDt-K26-gE
Old 03-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgparker View Post
Thanks for the pix and threads.

I'm still assembling all the different parts I'll need to replace.

Will I also need this part?

JV1174 Victor Reinz Timing Cover Gasket Set
http://r.ebay.com/GGZ9MH

Are there ever any other parts that I'll need to replace.
Yes, get that victor kit as it is a tube of good RTV and it also has a good front seal. The oil pump seals should always be replaced when the cover is off. There is not much you have to find other than a couple of intake manifold studs to hang the cover on when installing it and an old timing chain lower sprocket to use as the pump alignment tool. Then the cover will just slide into place. You can use this size of metric set screw instead of manifold studs as guide pins. 8mm X 1.25mm X 60mm part number 91390A153 McMaster or your high end hardware store. http://www.mcmaster.com This is a long set screw as you can not have a head on whatever you use. It is possible to find 8mm bolts and saw the head off but it is a lot of work. Be very careful to get any cured RTV out of the little pan bolt holes in the bottom of teh cover and do not get any in them when installing the cover as the hydraulic force produced when you install those little bolts will break your new cover.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
tgparker

1997 SW1

Ordered the set screws and the "JV1174 Victor Reinz Timing Cover Gasket Set."

Will I need more RTV? Is there enough RTV in the Victor Renz kit to do the whole job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yes, get that victor kit as it is a tube of good RTV and it also has a good front seal. The oil pump seals should always be replaced when the cover is off. There is not much you have to find other than a couple of intake manifold studs to hang the cover on when installing it and an old timing chain lower sprocket to use as the pump alignment tool. Then the cover will just slide into place. You can use this size of metric set screw instead of manifold studs as guide pins. 8mm X 1.25mm X 60mm part number 91390A153 McMaster or your high end hardware store. http://www.mcmaster.com This is a long set screw as you can not have a head on whatever you use. It is possible to find 8mm bolts and saw the head off but it is a lot of work. Be very careful to get any cured RTV out of the little pan bolt holes in the bottom of teh cover and do not get any in them when installing the cover as the hydraulic force produced when you install those little bolts will break your new cover.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

More than enough. The 1/16" to 1/8" bead of RTV is placed inside of the bolt holes on the cover or the block, your choice and inside of the lower bolt holes on the pan lip. More is NOT better. I believe all of this is in that head replace chain off and on thread. You can search for timing chain replacement and then replace timing chain using the large search box and see all the ways to really screw this up before you start.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

It seems like you have everything you need to do the job. Be sure to thoroughly clean the sealing surfaces before applying the RTV and re-installing the cover. I recommend a good FINAL pass with acetone and a clean cloth on both surfaces to eliminate any residue.

Also (and this may be different for a SOHC), since you will be dong this with the engine in the bay still, you'll need as much space as possible. When I re-installed my cover, I removed the engine mount base (which required removal of the wheel well cowling to get at the inside bolts). This gave me just enough space to get the cover in without smearing RTV all over.

Below is a link to one my posts with some pictures. The first 3 pictures have the engine mount base removed, while the 4th has it re-installed. Hopefully this helps...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=4
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I didn't look at the link but it's recommended to pack the oil pump gears with Vaseline and then go thru the oil priming sequence.

Good luck
Highmile
'95 SL1 596k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #10
tgparker

1997 SW1

The replacement timing cover from the JY appears mechanically sound but it is very dirty, greasy, has multiple white corrosion marks on the outside, and hardened black oil "varnish" on the inside. Can anyone recommend any good cleaning/degreasing products and procedures to thoroughly clean the timing cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
It seems like you have everything you need to do the job. Be sure to thoroughly clean the sealing surfaces before applying the RTV and re-installing the cover. I recommend a good FINAL pass with acetone and a clean cloth on both surfaces to eliminate any residue.

Also (and this may be different for a SOHC), since you will be dong this with the engine in the bay still, you'll need as much space as possible. When I re-installed my cover, I removed the engine mount base (which required removal of the wheel well cowling to get at the inside bolts). This gave me just enough space to get the cover in without smearing RTV all over.

Below is a link to one my posts with some pictures. The first 3 pictures have the engine mount base removed, while the 4th has it re-installed. Hopefully this helps...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=4
Old 03-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Big jug of Purple Power local parts store. Don't just drop it in to soak as the PP will etch the aluminum. Remove oil pump cover and lift out the old oil pump. To get the screws out without braking something heat them up to about 160F with a heat gun or torch and if you use a torch go slow so you do not make hot spots. This will release the thread locker and gunk. Stiff bristle brush and clean and rinse. Once clean it is inspection time. Oil pump cavity an inside of cover are critical.

What year is the new cover?

DO NOT PACK THE OIL PUMP WITH VASELINE! just use assembly lube. The oil prime procedure will verify it is functioning and you will not end up bursting the oil filter element.

To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement, timing chain replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.
-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.
-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.
-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.
-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.
-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.
-Remove spark plugs if installed.
-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.
-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.
-Replace spark plugs.
-Replace PCM B fuse.
-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
-Start engine.

Do not skip or delete steps or add additional steps.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.... That's exactly what I did when I replaced my cover. I cleaned it good with PP and a brush until I was satisfied. It turned out very good. The oil pump priming procedure worked very well for me also. So just take your time and do it right and you should be good.
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote