SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #141
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: KREEN Added to Oil Reduced the Oil Burning in my SC2.

Something close to that. You have to take the plugs out so it will roll easily. You can probably pop it over in 5th but only push FORWARD.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #142
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Amsoil has a buttload of products! Even things you pour in the gas or oil. Is kreen better than these products?

Aint doing the kreen treatment in the forseeable future. Its too warm. I want like a 20 degree morning that takes the engine forever to warm up so it doesn't burn off too fast

Based on you all caps'ing forward, i probably will not move the pistons in 5th gear.
98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #143
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You want to keep the solvent in contact with the piston as long as you can so keep them topped up until done.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:22 AM   #144
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

When the time for the piston soak comes, I will probably try taking the plugs out, propping drinking straws up through the plug holes, and turning the crank pulley with a crescent wrench of the appropriate size. This will be after running some Kreen through the tail end of a tank of gas.

Upthread I have so far been all talk and no action about using Kreen. The reason for this is that it simply has not been cold enough for long enough to reproduce the conditions of known successful use. The closest we have come so far was a brief ice storm over Thanksgiving weekend. January and February are usually reliable for sustained cold in these parts, however, so we shall see.
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #145
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

I'm in the middle of a 3 day MMO piston soak and I'm very interested in all the comments about Kreen. What I'm gathering is that Kreen is more powerful a solvent than MMO and yet will not harm the engine. I have actually ordered 3 quarts of Kreen. My plan is to apply 1 qt. of Kreen via the Brake Booster Vacuum hose to clean the fuel system and upper engine. Apply approx. 1/4-1/2 qt. via a Piston ring soak, after the soak pouring the balance into the crankcase. Changing the oil and adding 1/2 a qt to the new oil.

Since Kreen is a stronger yet safer solvent, I'm interested in hearing opinions about how long the soak should last.

I also like to hear some opinions about how often and at what intervals should we be rotating the crankshaft forwards to move the pistons up and down, and refilling the cylinders.

I assuming using 1 oz. of Kreen per cylinder per interval. This would use up 4 oz of Kreen per interval (assuming 4 cylinders in a Saturn S). How does four intervals, 2 hours apart sound. Or should the soak interval last longer?

Opinions and comments please..

Thanks in advance..
tgparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #146
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I would read the instructions on the back of the can. Deviations from instructions put you into unanalyzed space. You can soak the pistons for as long as you like refreshing the Kreen as often as you want. At the end of that process oil the pistons and change the oil.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #147
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Seriously time for an update on the reduced oil burning rate.........

Background is in the quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
This was done on my 1998 SC2 "Red Hot" with 160,000 miles.

To Summarize:

Pre-KREEN in oil: 1/2 quart (16 Oz.) per 200-250 miles.

Post 14 Oz. KREEN for 500 miles in oil: 3-4 Oz. per 625 miles.

It was down exactly 16 Oz. in 1,200 miles. This is with lots more high RPM driving of 65-70MPH driving on Castrol Edge Full Syn, so not totally apples to apples.

This is over 8,000 miles down-the-road after the KREEN treatment.

So, the oil burning did increase some, but is still better by far.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #148
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

LONG Term Update.....

Over 20,000 miles & 1 1/2 years later.....

Reduced oil burning has stayed the same - 1 Quart in about 1,200 miles.

Running Castrol Edge 5-30 bought 3 years ago & Mobil 1 Ext. Performance Oil Filter.

Good on Kreen. Not bad, eh??
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #149
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the Update, Pitcher!

That's clearly a successful treatment.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote