SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #21
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New owner of a 2002 LW300

It's nice to hear of someone who is not afraid to dig in and fix things. The timing belt is a puzzle in itself. When its right it's right no matter how you got there.

While you're in there doing the valve cover gaskets... I recommend to remove the Oil Separator PCV module and verify the rubber reed isn't baked. Almost all high mileage Saturn's have excessive crankcase pressure due to the reed being baked to a solid mass and/or gone all together. The CTS Caddy engine is same as our Saturn's, but they have a different top end and which does include a PCV valve where ours does not. So the reed is an essential part and function to handle crankcase pressure.

The Oil Separator PCV (OS PCV) has no gasket (just gasket maker RPV) and is held in place with 4 bolts that are easy to access while intake runners etc... are removed. It is located mid way down on the center of the drivers side of the engine.

There are two ports in the OS PCV into the engine with a rubber reed blocking one port. There is a vacuum line from the intake and one larger hose to the plastic bridge to the intake. Make sure the bridge isn't plugged. Some are plugged. I still struggle to understand how it works. There is no PCV valve, just the reed. My reed was baked and broken. I replaced it with a piece of Viton Rubber, a bolt and nut to secure it along with thread locker. It worked oddly enough. The crankcase pressure was handled and it helped to stop oil from exiting the engine at every seam.

There are no replacement OS PCV parts so it's a DIYer repair. Just make sure the viton can move easily to open. I've never seen a healthy reed so I am just guessing at it all.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
HellPoolHall
HellPoolHall is a jewel in the roughHellPoolHall is a jewel in the roughHellPoolHall is a jewel in the rough

Well completed repairs about an hour ago. Been idling since. No leaks. No issues. Even fixed a couple other things (flattened brake booster vacuum hose and a power steering leak. These are the idling figures im getting now
HellPoolHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #23
HellPoolHall
HellPoolHall is a jewel in the roughHellPoolHall is a jewel in the roughHellPoolHall is a jewel in the rough

It wont let me upload pics. Lol. Anyone got a good way to do it?
Old 11-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Virtually every cellphone and digital camera creates very large image files, several megabytes per snapshot. Great of you're a photographer spending hundreds of dollars to enlarge images for poster or billboard viewing. Useless here as restrictions to thumbnail images of no more than 150 kilobytes. Easy solution.

Use your favorite image handling program to resize snapshots to less them a megabyte in size, preferably in jpeg then try submitting it. If it's accepted, select the preview tab to view your reply as well accepted thumbnail. Click on the thumbnail to see whay everyone will see then decide if you want to edit your snapshot to eliminate unwanted borders taking up space or submitting your reply. I do it all the time when images are too large and unacceptable by resizing. I use Windows Paint. There are many others equally easy to use for resizing images with taking away resolution.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #25
HellPoolHall

I'll have to wait til I get better service. I live in the sticks and signal aint the best out here. I'll upload the pics I took of my live data later.

Fun story about maiden voyage after all the repairs. 20 miles and the damn thing dies. Pulled codes and brought up a P0341. As I've seen before. Died a couple more times within the next 5 minutes. Pissed me the hell off and I remembered reading on these forums where the cam sensor dont do m

uch. So I just unplugged the damn thing and reset the codes. Ran fine but just gave me a P0343 rather quickly. So I called around and the closest part store that had one was 100 miles away. Drove it all the way there, put on a new Cam sensor, and let the code clear itself. Cool thing about my code reader is it will show the stored codes that are no longer active. Didnt take about 25 miles for the code to clear itself. Waited til I got home to clear the stored code. All in all about 300 miles driven since final repair.

3 weeks and Ive replaced starter, valve cover gaskets, coil packs, plugs, throttle body, cam sensor, crank sensor, MAF, a couple vacuum lines, fuel filter, and a hard water pipe. The feeling of driving it and see not a single light on the dash on is quite nice after all this work. I know my lady wont have a worry on her 37 mile one way trip to work. Also save the miles on my durango lol.

I noticed an odd sway when driving some of the not so greatest roads. So I guess next is to inspect steering and suspension all the way around. I supposed an 18 year old vehicle with higher mileage should have some wore out bushings. Can get a front end rebuild kit from rockauto for like $75. Comes with sway bar links, inner and outer tie rod ends, and lower ball joints. Gonna see if there is a matching sort of kit somewhere for the rear. Just replace it all and immediately put it on my trailer and take it in for a 4 wheel alignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201129_215651.jpg (203.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 AM   #26
HellPoolHall

Well one went through the last message. Lets add another pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201129_222122.jpg (202.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #27
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Right side screen glare obscures values. Try taking snapshots under shade with out glare reflecting off the display.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #28
HellPoolHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Right side screen glare obscures values. Try taking snapshots under shade with out glare reflecting off the display.
Lol there is no shade in country fields. Sorry. When you zoom in you can see the values. 🤷*♂️
Old 11-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #29
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My bad. My laptop didn't expand the snapshot but my tablet did. Both snapshots are enlarged for clarity.
VCX NANO
Old 11-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #30
HellPoolHall

Ok. So I do have a question that will require experience with this exact engine.

Now that the car is running perfect, no SES light, fires up cold or hot in 5 compression hits or less, I still hear a valve train tapping. Sounds exactly like weak lifters. After a bit of research I'm blown away that a DOHC engine is actually using lifters.

Will the engine be fine with these weak lifters tapping? Or do I need to pull some heads from a junkyard and rework them to replace the heads currently on the engine?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #31
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a snapshot from my GM service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201130_162227.jpg (188.9 KB, 6 views)
VCX NANO
Old 11-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #32
HellPoolHall

Thank you. Since I already know what's involved getting valve covers off and getting to timing belt, what else is needed to get to lifters? If memory serves me correctly from what I saw, there are 4 caps that hold each cam in. The sprocket is held on by a center torx bit. What I dont remember is seeing how that cam seal is removed. Is it bolted on or a part of the head that it's pressed into?. Do I just unbolt the caps and sprocket and slide cam to right of engine?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #33
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

At one time, anyone had free access to GM electronic service manuals up to model year 2005 or so. For a brief time I had access to alldata and Mitchell. Not anymore. Bits and pieces of free access to service manuals exist but requires extensive searching. Some public libraries have access alldata. A subscription to alldata or Mitchell is an alternative as well as ebay for used manuals. WIth access to electronic manuals, copying, pasting, creating pdfs, etc was easy to post them in these forums but not anymore. Large pdf files were sent via email if they couldn't fit here.
VCX NANO
Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #34
HellPoolHall

Thanks. I'll keep searching. Gonna be a minute before I can afford a full set of lifters. I believe in doing things balanced, so 24 lifters it will get. If all else fails I've made all repairs just by getting in there. She just mentioned oil pump (slaps forehead). She dont the understand valve train ticking. Lol. But to keep her happy I'll do the oil pump as well.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Listening to your dedication and motivation... I might have to dig in and repair something! LOL I shy-ed away from oil pump and other repairs because the valve cover gasket repair just about killed me. As I was putting it back together, I saw the front valve cover gasket was hanging outside the engine! Redo, redid it right and then I ripped a hole in the large Bank 2 intake hose and it caused me weeks of pain thinking I destroyed the engine! It made me a bit gun shy to do more repairs.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #36
HellPoolHall

Well I'll dig into any engine and fix it. I've always been that way. I have to tools at home to get the timing cover off in 20 mins. I read so many places that with the work required to do a timing belt, I might as well do the water pump. As easy as it was for me to get to it, I realized I wasn't the average "DIYer". Hell I put a CVT in an 09 nissan altima in 6 hours. That's pull and replace. Lol. You never learn or figure anything out unless you do it. And I started early at the ageod 16 by using a breaker bar to tighten a head bolt and broke it off in the block of the vehicle. Lol. Im 37 nowadays...
Old 12-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #37
HellPoolHall

So funny story that literally just happened. Took the car to car wash to clean engine bay. Dump superclean everywhere because next time Im under the hood I dont want to finish looking like my skin tone heritage has changed. After a gallon and about 10 minutes of pressure washing, Im done and a car that has been reliable and running great is running like dog ****. Girlfriend freaking out. I already know the problem is water in an electrical connection. Go to every one that I have pulled apart and they're all dry on the inside. After going over engine compartment and start breaking apart main connections I found the culprit. Im not sure if its the ECM or some other major processing piece for engine. But one of the plugs on that component that sits on the rear corner of engine had some water in it. Also noticed some blue corrosion. Time to reseal that electrical connection and clean out the corrosion right there.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #38
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Our L300 ecm is the (approximately) 4x4 inch square part with two multiple pin connectors on top, bolted onto the driver's side intake runner. If I'm not mistaken, electrical connections are water resistant, not water proof. As you found out, pressure washing on electrical connections may force water and degreasing fluids in.

I use a bucket of soapy water and bristle brush to scrub dirt off, avoiding electrical connections. A gentle water rinse and restart on an already warmed engine hasn't caused issues.
VCX NANO
Old 12-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #39
HellPoolHall

Thats exactly what it was. Nothing was harmed. Lol. Im glad I discovered the corosion. After being used to seeing much larger ECMs on other vehicles, and rarely actually bolted to a piece of the motor (intake in this case), this vehicle continues to surprise me. I've done that cleaning procedure on many engine bays. Both rigs and automobiles. Generally only time I have an issue of this sort is with old school distributor style ignition systems.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #40
ber1998
ber1998 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPoolHall View Post
Thanks. I'll keep searching. Gonna be a minute before I can afford a full set of lifters. I believe in doing things balanced, so 24 lifters it will get. If all else fails I've made all repairs just by getting in there. She just mentioned oil pump (slaps forehead). She dont the understand valve train ticking. Lol. But to keep her happy I'll do the oil pump as well.
Im no expert..but i do piddle. Are you sure that ur hearing lifter tap?....I do know the Bosch Injector system is noisy(resembles lifter tap)....seems to be louder the colder the ambient temps are.....
ber1998 is offline   Reply With Quote