SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
havok
havok is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline AC

This questions pertains to my 2007 Vue Greenline with 170,000 miles.

So, living in Vermont, I very rarely use my AC ... turn it on once in a while to keep it lubricated, etc.

With the weather in Vermont the last week or so, (100 and humid) I've been running the AC a fair amount ... sometimes with the recirc on, sometimes fresh air. All has been working fine and the AC has been appropriately cold (keeping in mind that the Vue turns off the compressor when at a stop light if the AC is on "green" and not "orange").

So, today, temp is about 86-89 with humidity of about 65% and I was running the AC on a 30 mile drive, up into the mountains and back down. About halfway back to my office, the AC stops blowing cold air. I turned the AC selector off, turned the recirc off and turned the blower off.

I then turned the blower back on, turned the AC selector back on (snowflake) and I hear what sounds like something hitting the ground under the Vue (I did not see anything in the rearview or sideview mirrors and could not stop). No matter what setting I used, I could not get cold air to blow again.

Any ideas? Could I have iced something up, which that ice then fell off and was the source of that noise? If that is the case, will leaving the car sitting for a few hours allow the temp sensor to reset? I'm going to take the Vue to my favorite independent service center on Monday but am curious as to what could possibly have happened ... especially with that noise of something falling off and underneath the Vue.

Thanks to anyone for any ideas!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to havok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help havok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
havok is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline AC

If you can, look under the hood for anything unusual then crawl under and look again. If you can't do this and the Vue is drivable, it may be wiser to visit a repair shop sooner rather than wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
havok

Thanks for the very sage advice ... the Vue was drivable ... made it the last 20 or so miles back to my office and then the 25 miles back to my house with no issues whatsoever ... except for the lack of AC.

I did stop at my usual place for service and they will look at the vehicle on Monday. I had a OBDII device that I plugged in to see if there were any codes set (the cat is barely below efficiency so I often have the CEL illuminated). There were no codes ...

It was all very odd ... my only thought is that the drive belt has been chirping occasionally (had it checked and no glazing or cracks) so I'm presuming that I blew out the compressor clutch ... which makes sense given the age. I'm just not sure about the odd noise when I turned the AC back on to test ...

Regardless ... thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help havok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have seen several compressor clutch outer plate be come loose and fall off. (green line only)
The clutch plate is splined to the compressor shaft and held in place with a small bolt. Because the compressor shaft is also damaged you'll need to replace the compressor

also check for the AC condenser leaking (oil stain) from low corners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
havok

Thanks for that ... that is very interesting and sounds plausible.

I did as fdryer suggested and took a quick look around with the engine running and not and saw nothing amiss. The vehicle runs exactly the same ... albeit with no cold air with the AC turned on.

I will make sure that the garage checks the condenser for leaking oil.

I greatly appreciate your experiential-based advice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
havok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
I have seen several compressor clutch outer plate be come loose and fall off. (green line only)
The clutch plate is splined to the compressor shaft and held in place with a small bolt. Because the compressor shaft is also damaged you'll need to replace the compressor

also check for the AC condenser leaking (oil stain) from low corners
so ... great deductive work!

i relayed your suggestion about the clutch outer plate / cover possibly being what i heard falling off and, sure enough, that's exactly what it was!

a little bit of dye on the low pressure side by the switch ... they think it's just the seal where the line connects to the switch.

so, the big question is ... and i welcome all opinions ... do i replace the compressor? it's just over $200 from rockauto.com plus about 2.5 hours of labor (around $200). we don't use it much at all but i wasn't sure if the defrost required the use of the compressor. the Vue has almost 180,000 miles on her! what a great vehicle!

thanks for everyone's opinions and suggestions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This can be an inexpensive fix with a junk yard clutch plate, bolt and washer shims to the expensive repair of replacing compressor and drier first. If a leak occurs afterwards, more repairs follows. Defrost uses ac to help dehumidify air when temps are above 40F. Below 40F ac is automatically disabled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
havok

Thanks!

That explanation of the use of the AC for defrost is extremely helpful and will assist with this decision.

As I gave up working on my own vehicles a while ago ... I would be going the route of having the garage replace my provided compressor ... if I choose to repair.

Now, does one always have to replace the drier when replacing the compressor?

Thanks as always for your very valuable advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Compressors require drier replacement otherwise a warranty may be void if a damaged compressor is returned for exchange. Driers remove crap and minute moisture similar to oil filters removing and trapping crap. Would you leave an oil filter in place when replacing oil? Drier replacement is cheap insurance against contaminating new compressors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
havok

Great explanation ... had no idea the purpose of the drier.

I really appreciate your time and expertise explaining the finer details of this AC issue and proper replacement procedures.

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #11
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

keep in mind that the green line belt is wider, their for the compressor needs to be for a hybrid application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
havok

thanks for the reminder ... i specifically looked for the hybrid compressor at rockauto.com. but, given fdryer's strong suggestion that the accumulator/drier also be replaced (which i had absolutely no idea) ... i'm leaning toward not repairing the AC as just the parts (from rockauto.com) are going to run almost $400.

so, that begs one last (hopefully) question from you AC-knowledgeable individuals: my mechanic has suggested taking the AC out and putting in a bypass pulley ... is that necessary? prudent? i'm not sure if he is suggesting taking all the AC hardware out or just the compressor but i would think that would be not a good idea if the next owner wanted to fix the issue.

thanks in advance for your opinions ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's your choice on repairs, prudent or not. If you don't intend to keep your Vue and want the next owner the option of repair then you might be narrowing your options. As it is, a missing clutch plate, shim washer and bolt are missing, Are you aware of the pulley having nothing to hold it onto the compressor hub but a friction/press fit? The clutch plate and bolt holds the plate onto the compressor shaft. These parts also prevent the pulley from sliding off the compressor hub. Drive belt alignment also prevents the pulley from sliding off. The chances of the pulley sliding off is slim but there's no guarantee of this while you continue to drive your Vue this way. I'm wondering why your mechanic didn't bring it up. The lowest cost repair is finding a junk yard Vue compressor and removing the clutch plate, bolt and any shim washer to replace the missing parts on yours to restore ac without the expensive alternative. This presumes your ac was working before the parts fell off.

At the very least, adding a washer between a large flat washer and compressor shaft with bolt to hold these onto the shaft will prevent the pulley from ever sliding off. The pain washer will act as a spacer for a large flat washer preventing contact with the pulley while preventing the pulley from walking off the compressor hub.

Last edited by fdryer; 07-13-2018 at 03:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
havok

I am aware of that now (certainly why I ask those questions here ... get great answers and I learn quite a bit).

You have given me options that I wasn't aware of ... and for that I am grateful. It is good to have knowledgeable Saturn people who can act as a sounding board for my thoughts (I used to do most of the mechanical work ... just not AC) and the thoughts of my mechanic (independent in a small state ... so, sometimes my issues are the first he's ever see of that type).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
havok

one other thought ... as salvage yard parts for Saturns are scarce is my neck of the woods ... and even more so for hybrid Saturns, would it be possible to purchase a replacement AC Compressor-Clutch Plate & Hub Assembly?

if so, would anyone have the proper part number?

thanks for the continuing education. i do hope that i am not making you roll your eyes too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had a debate with one of my nephews - he was adamant of sending uneducated people to Mars and I was steadfast about sending well educated people. He figured sending dimwits wasn't wasting lives. Dimwits will panic at the first signs of trouble, not have a clue on how to handle emergencies, know even less about contingencies, navigation, etc.. Perhaps he thought the entire Mars voyage will be 100% automated and humans are just along for the ride as 'lab rats' and expendable. My eyes rolled before he finished the sentence of sending morons to Mars.

Shop online for ac parts. You're likely to see two groups of compressor parts, one set consisting of clutch plate, pulley and clutch coil and the other a complete compressor for plug n' play. More searching (ebay?) for individual parts like a clutch plate by itself may be found but you'll have to do all the work to be sure its the correct part. Ebay may be considered a cleaned up version of a world wide junk yard for everything and anything - as long as someone needs a part and someone else advertises a needed part, prices are set along the lines of supply and demand. Not everything is on ebay but it never hurts to spend time searching. Used parts on ebay are a great way to find individual parts if a set isn't needed.

The clutch plate, pulley and clutch coil set are costly. Some sets are sometimes more than half the price of a complete compressor. If I were in your shoes, I'd check every source if I can just buy a replacement clutch plate, new or used. Shim washers may be a GM part from a dealer along with the bolt. A bolt (metric) may be just a hardware store item.

The difference between a diyer and a repair shop; a diyer will spend the time and effort to find parts, learn about repairs, and make them to save money as opposed to paying hourly labor rates, marked up parts and knowledge to mechanics/technicians that deserve pay for their expertise. Great repair shops can work with vehicle owners to keep costs down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
havok

I truly appreciate your very informative responses to my questions. My father (gone some 11 years) was an auto mechanic and taught me from the age of 5. I truly miss his knowledge and oversight.

That being said, I agree with your eBay assessment. I have successfully purchased a replacement wiring harness for the Vue lift gate (three or four wires broke due to excess tension opening and closing the lift gate). Part of the difficulty I'm finding is the many vendors (even auto parts stores) list parts for the 2008 Greenline as also fitting the 2007 Greenline ... which often isn't the case.

Fortunately, my "normal" service shop is aware of my level of expertise and will talk with me about much of this stuff. They are also more than willing to install parts that I have procured ... allowing me to pay for their expertise. I haven't had the opportunity to fully discuss this AC issue with them ... other than to determine they're reman compressor is over $400 ... and I don't think that includes the drier (as you adamantly suggested be replaced).

I've seen many other reports (including on these forums) of the 2007 Vue Greenline having this exact problem ... the AC compressor clutch plate falls off. They have indicated that the compressor clutch plate is a press fit, not bolted on. So, I wonder if your suggestion to use spacers/washers and a bolt to keep the pulley on will really work.

Obviously, I'll have to stop and chat with my mechanic on Monday and see if he sees some way out of this without either hundreds of dollars replacing the compressor and drier or ripping out all the AC parts.

Regardless, I owe you thanks ... and thanks is what I give you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I took the liberty of copying three ac compressors from rockauto. The first image is for ACDELCO showing what appears to be a chromed Allen head bolt in the center of the clutch plate. The other two compressors use a conventional hex head bolt. While clutch plates are a slip fit, I presume they're bolted to prevent them from coming off. Yours loosened its bolt and allowed the clutch plate to slide off. Perhaps GM didn't use loctite on the bolt. Press fitting may be a misused term.

Press fit in machinist circles means using a press to force fit two parts that won't fit together by hand. Interference fit may be another way to describe a forced fitting of parts that require a press. Ball bearings are pressed to fit.

The clutch plate is a slip fit when assembled and bolted in place. Over time, moisture corrodes the steel compressor shaft, steel clutch plate hub and bolt to become the equivalent of loctite, semi seizing parts. Some come apart easily with some prying, others need some help by way of heat or penetrant to break the bonds of corrosion. If I'm not mistaken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-22189_Primary__ra_p.jpg (93.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CO 11079LC__ra_p.jpg (68.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 98293__ra_p.jpg (67.2 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #19
bern
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Wow! I turn my back for a few minutes and you 2 nearly wrote the whole book :-) My turn:
1) The belt pulley/ inner clutch plate has a heavy snap ring holding it tight in place. So If your not go to fix it , then their is nothing you need to do.
2) The compressor shaft is likely has damaged splines, the clutch plate bolt may have broke off with part still in the shaft. Clutch only is not a good option.
3) Replacing the drier is good advice when repairing a failed, damaged or discharged AC system, Your AC system didn't have an internal failure or wasn't discharged allowing moisture in the system. So as far as the drier goes I think this is optional.
4) A vehicle with the AC in disrepair in my mind is like starting to throw in the towel on the whole vehicle. As other repairs are needed and not repaired, sooner than later the vehicle will need to be replaced, So do you think your Vue gave most of what it has to give. Or do you think your close to replacing it.
For me I drive a 2006 Vue with 153,000 miles, My wanting a new car is not as much as I not want a car loan. I'm hoping to get to 200,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Old 07-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
havok

fdryer: i had looked at those photos at rock auto and was truly unsure of what i was looking at. plus, i wasn't 100% sure that they weren't using "stock" photos that weren't necessarily representative of the actual part. i owe you ... i am an apple specialist so if you need advice or troubleshooting on your apple product, give me a try as i'd be happy to try and help.

bern: thanks for adding to fdryer's wonderful and thorough explanations and descriptions. my main concern with this vue is that the catalytic converter has been throwing low efficiency codes for about a year-and-a-half ... probably due to an exhaust leak from a crack in the exhaust manifold (weld joint, apparently) that was missed causing the computer to misread the exhaust composition and adjust unnecessarily. from all my research, my only choice is a catalytic converter direct from GM which is going to run me almost $2000. my second concern is that, since this is a hybrid, the battery pack will most likely crap out around 200,000 miles (it was replaced under warranty at 100,000 along with the alternator/generator). while i don't necessarily have an issue with investing $400 in replacing the AC compressor ($200 for the compressor from rockauto.com plus about 2.5 hours of my mechanic's time), i really don't want to invest $2000 into a catalytic converter. that's half a year's worth of car payments. if you have a better suggestion to address that, i'm all ears. i love my vue and would hate to have to retire it. my 2001 sl2 had 260,000 miles when i parked it to give to my brother (who never picked it up ... two years later) and now i don't know what it would take to re-energize that poor thing

so, again, bern, if you disagree with my assessment of my vue and have any suggestions for keeping it going toward upward of 200,000 miles ... i'm all ears!

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!