SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #81
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Re: The fix-up of my $400 '93 Saturn SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
Yes, I did use it quite a bit, but.....uh...maybe you can expound on this a little more....
I work for the post office.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #82
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabercatPuck View Post
I work for the post office.
LOL, i figured as much. Yeah, most of the parts I've ordered has been over the Internet...... better prices, selection and quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #83
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Default Re: Few more pics

Quote:

The famous shifter bushing that often fails....

apparently I don't know what the heck I'm talking about here. This is not the famous shifter bushing that fails....It's actually lower and connects directly to the cable. I'll have to get a pick up soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #84
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I know some people have painted that shifter bracket - I didn't since it was just surface rust that no one would ever see and the part was still plenty solid.

I don't recall if anyone has mentioned it, but while everything is apart, it would be a good time to rewire the cigarette lighter if you plan on using it as a charger (for GPS, phone, etc). It was designed pre- GPS and not designed for contnuous load, tends to overheat the F5 block. I think adventureoflink wrote up a "How To" in the How to Library for rewiring if you need it.

F5 thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173989

+1, great documentation pics

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #85
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I know some people have painted that shifter bracket - I didn't since it was just surface rust that no one would ever see and the part was still plenty solid.

I don't recall if anyone has mentioned it, but while everything is apart, it would be a good time to rewire the cigarette lighter if you plan on using it as a charger (for GPS, phone, etc). It was designed pre- GPS and not designed for contnuous load, tends to overheat the F5 block. I think adventureoflink wrote up a "How To" in the How to Library for rewiring if you need it.

F5 thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173989

Super cool, thank you so much for the tip. I was indeed going to use it for charging my cell phone, and other acc items.

Thank you for the tip!

I'm going to remove the rust with my power brush and paint the brackets. This rust seems a bit excessive for a piece of metal that comes from the inside of the car. I mean, I might as well, since I'm in there.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #86
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I mean, I might as well, since I'm in there.....
There's that slippery slope

Since I was only replacing the bushing at that point (and doing it as preventative maintenance), I didn't paint mine on my SL2.

But since I have the interior of my SC2 gutted, I'll paint that one while I'm in there, one of these days - and I can just use whatever bits of paint I have left over since no one will ever see it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #87
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up Wise words by OldNuc

Words of wisdom by OldNuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Drill the drain holes and don't let someone talk you out of it either. If you go into my photo gallery you will find all 5 sheets of the torque specs for the engine. Print them out before something breaks.
Use Permatex Ultra slick on any and all rotating or moving surfaces. Use Permatex The Right Stuff which comes in a pressurized can instead of RTV, works much better.

Print out this post for reference.
Head torquing.
Clean the head bolt holes with a fiber brush and blow out with compressed air. Clean the head and block mating surfaces with acetone. Set your new gasket on the block in the correct position so the oil port is not blocked. Carefully set the head on the gasket and do not scratch the head or block. If the bolts seem to be oily when you pull them out of the box wipe them off with a clean dry rag and don't leave any lint on them. Now screw all the NEW head bolts in by hand and torque them in order and stages to the 48ft-lb final value.

DOHC head torquing procedure

Initial dry bolt torque in sequence to 48ft-lb following the torquing pattern in stages to 20ft-lb, 30ft-lb, and final 48ft-lb. This establishes the proper clamp load on the gasket.

This is followed by removal in about 1/4 turn in sequence until loose.

Bolts washers, threads and bolt heads are oiled with clean engine oil and reinstalled finger tight.

Torqued in sequence to 22 ft-lb then 37ft-lb and then additional 90 degree turn.

The 90 degrees is important so do not guess at the 90 degrees. You can eyeball it and use a 1/2 drive breaker bar and make the 90 degree turn in a single smooth motion.

If this is not followed the new gasket will end up leaking.

Torquing sequence
intake side
8-4-1-5-9
7-3-2-6-10
exhaust side

Oil system prime before start.
To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement, timing chain replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.
-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.
-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.
-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.
-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.
-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.
-Remove spark plugs.
-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.
-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.
-Replace spark plugs.
-Replace PCM B fuse.
-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
-Start engine.

First start after rebuild.
After start.
-If engine running as expected continue to let it sit and idle while you inspect for leaks and other off normal behavior.
-Do not touch the gas!
-Allow to sit and idle until the fan cycles on and off twice.
-Shutdown engine and allow a 30 minute oil drain down time
-Replace the oil and oil filter with a Pure One PL20195 or Mobil-1 209 filter and a name brand high quality synthetic blend oil. Valvoline works or Casterol.
-Drive car conservatively, no steady RPM operation and hold max top gear RPM to ~3000 RPM
-Closely monitor oil level by parking in the exact same spot and checking level after a 6 hour minimum drain down time. Maintain oil level at the Full mark or up to the lower edge of the "U" in full.
-Once it has been established that oil consumption is zero change oil and filter.
-At this point using a high end 100% PAO synthetic oil is the best option.

Keep the RPM below 3000 in 5th and 3500 in lower gears until the oil consumption drops to zero.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #88
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
There's that slippery slope

Indeed....where does one stop?

I did manage to get the parts painted and tomorrow I'll get em installed again.

I've done some researching about the F5, and yup, better get that taken care of while it's apart..... I mean..... why not, it's all apart anyway....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #89
Scholzpdx
Scholzpdx is on a distinguished road

Quote:

F5 thread

Noob alert! Is this applicable to a 99 SL1 as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scholzpdx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scholzpdx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scholzpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #90
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholzpdx View Post
Noob alert! Is this applicable to a 99 SL1 as well?
Yes (both the shifter racket rust and the F5 issue)

I was a n00b 4 years ago, so no worries

I still think of myself as a newbie, because there is so much to learn, but madpogue objected since I have thousands of posts, occassionally add useful information, and did a couple minor How Tos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #91
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Default more work done

Got a little more work done..

Here you can see how the timing marks have been moved. They were aligned up on the TDC marks, but I moved them around as I was testing to ensure the valves would not hit.......just to be sure......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #92
Inky
Inky is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Wow that looks great. I hope you post a video once it's up and running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Inky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Inky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #93
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

I intend on making a video of the startup process.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #94
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

One question now that things are going together I am curious about how the costs have added up especially gasket and machine costs. I do know that the machine work can vary but it would be nice to have an approximate number before I get started on mine soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #95
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabercatPuck View Post
One question now that things are going together I am curious about how the costs have added up especially gasket and machine costs. I do know that the machine work can vary but it would be nice to have an approximate number before I get started on mine soon.
Great question, I'll post up a detailed cost sheet today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #96
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

That looks fantastic! I've never rebuilt an engine so I'll use your pics of a shiny block as inspiration

Was going to make a comment about POR15 or truck bed liner on the oil pan for rustproofing, but then remembered you're in an dry, snowless part of the US

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #97
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

Depends on what part of ole New Mexico he is in. When I was a kid back about 1980 in Albuquerque there was plenty of snow around. Made some huge forts for mega snowball fights, it was a blast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #98
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up Re: The fix-up of my $400 '93 Saturn SC1

got a little more work done today.

Concerning the paint job on the oil pan. I ended up putting three full coats of "Krylon Spray Paint Hammer Finish". This stuff is pretty thick and seems to provide a pretty good layer of protection, no matter what the elements are.

Pulley for the Water pump....the rust was flaking off the inside of the pulley...

Cleaned it up and put on a few coats of paint

The Idler pulley bearings sounded dirty. I pulled the seal out and cleaned the bearings of any dirt.

Still need a little cleaning....

Greased em up nice, and put the seal back in place.

Cleaned any rusty items with a wire brush, then added a few coats of spray paint to keep the rust at bay.

Getting closer......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #99
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Roll Eyes Re: The fix-up of my $400 '93 Saturn SC1

Unfortunately I didn't get around to posting up my current cost sheet. I started creating it and then really got into it. I started adding Merchant, Cost, and part number for the items I've purchased......Eventually, It'll be a really nice sheet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #100
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up Re: The fix-up of my $400 '93 Saturn SC1

Ok, I know that some people may not agree with with what I've purchased, but I'm on a budget, so I got what I could get. I'm trying to refurbish a car that I can use primarily as a commuter car. I do a lot of Dirt Bike riding (as you can see from some of my pictures), so that is why I got the trailer hitch....

In an effort to save money, I'm doing all of the work myself. However, as you can see, the cost of parts can add up quickly. This total price also includes the price of the car, as you can see from the itemized listing.

I purchased most of my items via Autozone to save 20-25% on items and receive free shipping. Plus, you can accumulate points to get $20 for every $100 spent. Thus far, I've received around $300 back in cash. So....not too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!