SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #41
DrGonzo
DrGonzo is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

also, i figure i'll go ahead and replace my belt and tensioner pulley, since i was told it was wearing unevenly. Is the dayco light duty idler/tensioner pulley from advanced any good? part number 89037. and how hard is it to replace the pulley?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrGonzo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrGonzo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If that is the plastic one, skip it. They are easy to replace just do not get carried away tightening the bolt back in. Light snug will be fine. Over tightened will break the timing cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #43
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

Finished this project today, as well as cleaning the throttle bottle, and egr. Car runs like brand new, and the idle is about 8-900rpms. I couldn't have done it without all the helpful advice in this thread, so thank you everyone!

One issue is that the CES is still on and has a P0507 code still. Should I wait to see if it goes away, or is it possible the IAC is bad?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DrGonzo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #44
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Finished this project today, as well as cleaning the throttle bottle, and egr. Car runs like brand new, and the idle is about 8-900rpms. I couldn't have done it without all the helpful advice in this thread, so thank you everyone!

One issue is that the CES is still on and has a P0507 code still. Should I wait to see if it goes away, or is it possible the IAC is bad?
With the engine off, remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (engine compartment fuse box) for 2 or 3 minutes and replace. SES should be gone. If so drive gently until PCM relearns everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #45
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
With the engine off, remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (engine compartment fuse box) for 2 or 3 minutes and replace. SES should be gone. If so drive gently until PCM relearns everything.
Well, the SES is gone now (just from driving around), but I did get one high idle issue about an hour ago. I drove to the store, put it in park and the engine idled up to about 2k. I went in, and when I came back out it was fine, and idle didn't go above 1k. Should I worry about that, or is part of the relearning process? And yes, I did have a very bad high idle problem before I replaced this gasket.

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #46
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Well, the SES is gone now (just from driving around), but I did get one high idle issue about an hour ago. I drove to the store, put it in park and the engine idled up to about 2k. I went in, and when I came back out it was fine, and idle didn't go above 1k. Should I worry about that, or is part of the relearning process? And yes, I did have a very bad high idle problem before I replaced this gasket.
Sounds like your TPS might be on the fritz...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #47
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

I also noticed that my IAC has no spring assembly on it. While watching richpin's videos on cleaning the throttle body, I see that the one he has has a spring before the metal tip, as do the pictures of the new ones from rock auto. Is this something I should be concerned about? There was also no movement on the IAC when I had it out to clean it, is the metal tip supposed to move up and down, or stay in one spot?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The next time you have a High Idle condition turn the car off and restart it without touching the gas. If the idle is back to normal when the engine restarts then replace the TPS. Leave the IAC alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #49
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

had many high idle situations over the past few days, all went away when i stopped/started the engine. SEL has gone off and come on a few different times, haven't had a chance to go get the codes read though. Should I be looking for any specific TPS or will one from advance/autozone work?

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #50
DrGonzo

2000 SL1

TPS replaced, drove around for a couple miles through town and no issues so far.

2000 SL1 164k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #51
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Missed your question. The best bet is an OEM from a Pick & Pull but if your aftermarket is working then you can take your time finding an OEM unit. You need to obtain one from a 2000-02 SOHC car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
racso
racso will become famous soon enough

How do I change the gasket on a 95? I searched but couldn't find a guide for it? Is there a lot of difference to replace it on a 95?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #53
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Basic same process. If you decide to roll the engine for better access to the nuts you want to also remove the upper engine mount and the lower engine dogbone. You will have to support the engine with a board on a jack against the pan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #54
racso
racso will become famous soon enough

Ok thanks but I won't be rolling the engine since I am not a mechanic and have no idea how to do that. I usually only replace simple stuff like starters and alternators. Sounds like I can do the job this way with all the info on here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #55
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Pulling the engine forward keeps you from having to remove the nuts from underneath. Best to put the car upon ramps before you start. Makes it easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #56
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

Are these instructions the same for a DOHC? My son bought a 2002 over the weekend, on the way home SES light, code for misfire on as well as the p0410 code, idle messed up not high but just off. Sprayed cleaner around cylinder 1 and idle changed and got sucked in whereas on the other 2002 sl2 we have it didn't do it.

Hoping napa has in stock as autozone and advanced do not. I see on the first page of instructions the order for the bolts to go back on for top and bottom. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows which is number 1, 2, 3, etc?

Thanks!

Angela

02 SL2 Green Goblin
02 SL2 White Whisper

96 SL1 Green Gerty Gone
97 SC2 Cracker Jack (never knew what u were going to get)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #57
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaw View Post
Are these instructions the same for a DOHC? My son bought a 2002 over the weekend, on the way home SES light, code for misfire on as well as the p0410 code, idle messed up not high but just off. Sprayed cleaner around cylinder 1 and idle changed and got sucked in whereas on the other 2002 sl2 we have it didn't do it.

Hoping napa has in stock as autozone and advanced do not. I see on the first page of instructions the order for the bolts to go back on for top and bottom. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows which is number 1, 2, 3, etc?

Thanks!
Your issue is most likely a little different. The DOHC differ in that the intake manifold itself breaks...not the gasket. They switched to Plastic intakes on the 3rd gen DOHC. Yea..dunno why.

Look around for the numbering. There is a pic someplace. Essentially the numbering is as if you are the firewall looking at the block.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #58
constant saturn
constant saturn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this thread!

I just finished this job using this as a guide and everything went pretty smooth.
I had the rough idle problem and figured I would replace/clean everything before having to do this job. I cleaned the throttle dody, egr, replaced the ECTS, new plugs/wires. air filter, injector cleaner, all with no improvement.

Anyway, I thried the brake cleaner test and the idle changed so I figured this had to be done. Just doing a couple hours an evening this took me about 6 hours total but that was outside in the cold snow and rain up here in Canada where I was doing this on my stone driveway lol.
But I also replaced the t-stat and put a new belt on (which after an hour of swearing at it trying to get it on from the top, I found how to access it from the wheel well and it went right on.)

Now she purrs like a kitten on prozac! what a difference!
thanks all for input on this topic.
I could not use a torque wrench sinse there is no room so hopefully this does not cause any issues.

Just a side note though, it may matter what type of brake clean you use to test this. I used the GUNK brand hwich is actually non-flammable and I dont thnk the engine liked that much. You could see it blowing out the exhaust in thick white smoke for quite some time. I checked my empty can of brake clean and it is very flammable, so..... it might make a difference which is used.

I also tried air intake cleaner and the idle still changed but the engine did not seem to mind as much.

Anyway Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to constant saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help constant saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
constant saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #59
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Brake Cleaner has been rendered Low VOC so it is almost useless for anything now.

As you have discovered changing the belt through the wheel well is the easy way.

As long as you did not gorilla those nuts you will be fine. Consistency is what counts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #60
Welljl01
Welljl01 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Completed this project this weekend along with replacing the belt and plug wires. Car runs better than it has ever run in the 5 years I've had it. Thanks for all the tips and help.

Will add that I was able to get all of the bolts from the top but it wasn't easy. A magnet was invaluable as it allowed me to put the nuts on the end of the bolts before sliding the socket over (on the bottom row). A tooth brush and plastic putty knife worked great for cleaning the surfaces as well.

Lots of gunk that I couldn't get too and am going to try a Sea Foam treatment. It says I can add it to the fuel, oil, or direct to one of the vacuum lines. Which should I do or all of the above?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Welljl01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Welljl01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Welljl01 is offline   Reply With Quote