SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
thejerk47
thejerk47 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL1 trouble starting and temp gauge not working

Hi........I have a 2000 SL1 with about 100,000 miles on it and have a couple small problems with it.
When the car is cold it will fire right up and drive perfectly, however, after driving to work, then trying to start it again minutes later, it won't start. It will just turn over for until I pump the gas, then it starts (and will blow a big amount of smoke from the exhaust), but will rn fine after it starts. Also, the temp gauge does not work. Are these two issues linked? It has the original thermostat and as far as I know the temp sensor has not been changed. I have been told to change the thermostat and the temp sensor, but am not sure where the temp sensor is.
Any help would be appreciated !!
thanks for reading

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thejerk47's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thejerk47 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thejerk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 SL1 trouble starting and temp gauge not working

The lack of any temperature indication can be either a failed coolant sensor or its two-wire connection. When replacing the sensor be sure to check for a corroded connector. The sensor/connection failure also causes a rich running condition with excessive fuel consumption. An old thermostat adds to more fuel waste.

The coolant temperature sensor is located next to the egr valve that's on the opposite side of the serpentine belt driving all the accessories - power steering/water pump, a/c compressor, and alternator. Its on the cylinder head. Buy the flat nosed brass one and don't tighten it completely otherwise you'll crack the new sensor in half. Finger tight and then another 1/4 to half turn will seal it from coolant leaks.

Replace the thermostat with a 195F one. Its on the engine block where the lower radiator hose attaches below the a/c compressor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

^+1 - Likely a faild ECTS. See the first few sticky threads in the How-to Library forum for more on ECTS. And welcome

On the '96 and later a bad ECTS will result in unreliable temp radings, typically indicating cold engine. This causes difficult starting then the engine is warm and other driveability issues, including reduced MPG. It may or may not set a warning light depending on how bad it is. If the temp gauge is sitting on 1/2 scale when the car is running the ECTS or its circuit is likely bad.

Once the ECTS and circuit are known to be good, you can move on to further diagnosis. The temp gauge should read about 3/8 on the open road when the engine is warm. If it tends to stay at/below 1/4 scale the t-stat is likely stuck open and should be replace befored cold weather in the interst of fuel economy and comfort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
Mike rob
Mike rob is on a distinguished road

I have a 2000 Saturn sl1 and I went to replace my temp sensor and it broke off. I got the threaded part out but the brass end of it is inside the engine....how do I get this out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike rob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike rob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

I am gonna say an extractor. Bolt type extractor after drilling. Preferably with left hand bit.

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Mike rob

The piece of the temp sensor is sitting in the hole but want to know how to get it out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mike rob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Did you get all the threaded part out? If so, I would be tempted to push the rest into the head and ignore it. That's not ideal, of course, but the remnant in there probably won't block flow enough to matter, and getting it out might require removing the head. Whatever you do, don't fuss with it endlessly, trying to fish the remnant out, so that you ruin the female threads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Ah, missed that threaded part is out. My bad.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Curious as to why it snapped off. Is it possible for the brass to seize in the block? If it was free maybe pressurizing system would push it out. If it was pushed in would it travel to pump or just fall to a low point and stay there?

Weird one.

Not sure how that piece extends into water jacket.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Mike rob

I've changed everything in the car ..radiator,water pump,thermostat,ects, then my heater core went so I had a mechanic do that cause that looks like a pain in the butt to do but after all that stuff was replaced my temp gauge started off cold at just over the 1/4 mark and would go up between 1/2 and 3/4 and so I figured the temp sensor wasn't working right. I think when I replaced it a few months ago I over tighten it and go lucky taking it out that the threaded part came out but the tip was laying in the hole.been trying like hell to get the thing out but nothing is working.and I guess you answered my concern about what would happen if I just left it in there but if I started the car with it open would that piece come out from the pressure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I was referring to using something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...kit-69258.html

I have no idea how the piece is stuck in there though and that may be urinating in the wind. Will the piece move at all?

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
Mike rob

Mad Re: 2000 SL1 trouble starting and temp gauge not working

The piece of the temp sensor is just sitting in the hole but every attempt at getting it I seem to push it further back

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

If it's just free in there, I would try a vacuum to pull it out. Remove coolant tank cap.

I assume water flowed around it if it is just free in hole.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
Mike rob

Yeah water is dribbling out of the hole so I'll try the vacuum and thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Mike rob

Not having any luck with the vacuum so do you think the rad pressure tester would push it to the hole opening? And do I leave the sensor out or do I put it in to build up pressure? This sucks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

To be honest, I'm out of my league or out of ideas. If it will push through, not sure there's much I can think of to get it out. Not magnetic if it's brass or plastic. Possible pressure would push it out but can't say for sure.

Hopefully some really smart guys will come along and have a recommendation.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
Mike rob

Every attempt to get this piece out is not working so I'm probably gonna just put the new one in and hope that piece that's in there doesn't get lodged somewhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #18
Mike rob

Still baffled on how the end piece would brake off and not at the threads.oh well just my luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Weird stuff happens and often times to me. Sans anyone having a better idea, I guess it's time to punch it and carry on.

I was going to suggest super glue on the tip of something but that would probably end up exacerbating an already not ideal situation.

So don't listen to that silly thought.

'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
Mike rob

Well it's all back together and running normal and hope it keeps running that way(crossing my fingers)..lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!