SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 06 Vue roof rack options

I'll put this out there first. I've never had a vehicle with any kind of roof rack or needed one in the past, so all of my questions will likely be dumb however...

Our Vue just has the black track, no type of taller rails. However I'm thinking as we're planning a move to a new house and contemplating expanding the family, we might need the space up top for luggage on trips where we bring the dogs. Hell we might need the space if we go on a longer trip and just bring friends and not any pets or kids. Any recommendations to get started? Do I need the factory rails, or are there better options that attach without any drilling?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 06 Vue roof rack options

You have a few options here:
1. Source a set of the chrome rails and install. To do this your existing black track will have to be removed and the chrome rails with it's respective black track will have to be installed. It's not terribly difficult to do this. I've done it. The hard part is the cross rails. I've never seen a Vue with the factory cross rails and I'm still looking for a set. I believe they mount in channels on the chrome rails which allows them to slide fore and aft as needed. You can buy aftermarket cross rails, but the mounting is different. Perhaps someone who has this setup will chime in.

2. Source a set of factory bolt on cross rails. I've seen these on Vues with sunroofs. In fact I saw two sets on an '03 and '04 Vues in my local junk yard just yesterday. I believe these mount to the black track utilizing stock mounting locations so you don't need to remove and replace your current black tracks. Once mounted, they're not easily adjusted, unlike the chrome rail cross rails which can be adjusted on a whim. The bolt on cross rails also have a sticker on them with a warning not to exceed 100lbs.

3. Check ebay. I've seen systems similar to item #2, but I have no idea how the mount and ease of operation.

You really can't drill into the roof easily and mount a rack, so you'll either have to source the two types of factory systems or get an aftermarket rack that will bolt onto at existing locations.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions on the factory racks and I'll do my best to help out.

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I was under the impression that if you can't fit all your people and stuff inside, you need a bigger SUV. For a one time thing like moving I can understand, but grabbing your luggage from the roof every night and replacing it every morning on a road trip can't be too pleasant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I was under the impression that if you can't fit all your people and stuff inside, you need a bigger SUV. For a one time thing like moving I can understand, but grabbing your luggage from the roof every night and replacing it every morning on a road trip can't be too pleasant.
A larger SUV is in consideration as well, but the Vue is paid for and has been extremely reliable. This would primarily be for shorter trips, where it would be minimal times on and off (long weekends, or trips to visit family in state or just outside of the state). Maybe it's not worth it, but I wouldn't know without asking .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Maybe also consider minivans?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Maybe also consider minivans?
Yep, also in consideration. Weighing options

REWARD EXCELLENCE!