SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
halo14
halo14 is on a distinguished road

Default Overheating Vue

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding something I hadn't run into before. My Vue overheats if you drive it, but won't necessarily do it if idle. The fan kicks in shortly after driving and the heat gauge keeps climbing until it hits the red mark. I stop let it cool down, fan eventually turns off and drive again, but it heats up right away. After I drove it home like this my battery drained completely. I gave it some charge and it started again, but then lost battery power after I turned it off. This all started when we had subzero temps and I was forced to turn on the heater.

The coolant and oil levels are good.
The fan is working.
Checked the engine belt and it's in place and not off any pulley.
All pulley's move when I crank the engine.

After digging around I'm thinking it could be the thermostat, but not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to halo14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help halo14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
halo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Amzonow232012
Amzonow232012 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Overheating Vue

I don't own a vue but i've got a big inventory of parts for the vue, if you need any send me a message. Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amzonow232012's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amzonow232012 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Amzonow232012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

What year and engine? Can you check for any trouble codes that might provide a clue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
halo14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
What year and engine? Can you check for any trouble codes that might provide a clue?
2003 v6 3.0
Haven't checked codes yet, but will do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help halo14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When checking for codes, see if the reader displays coolant temps and post anything displayed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

It's possible the thermostat is stuck closed or the temp sensor is faulty and sending a bad signal showing it's overheating.

Does the temp gauge drop if you turn on the heater full blast?

I agree about checking for codes and if possible accessing coolant temps. However, a bad temp sensor will send a bad coolant temp reading. When troubleshooting engine temps, I also use an IR thermometer just to double check.

The check for a stuck thermostat is fairly easy. Get the engine up to temp, put on a glove and squeeze the upper radiator hose. With the thermostat open, you can feel the coolant moving freely. With the thermostat closed, the hose won't be so easy to squeeze.

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Also, look through the grill on the front of the Vue. If you can't see the radiator, then the plastic air guide has fallen in front of the radiator.

The air guide can be seen as part #28 in this diagram: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

This can cause your issue, as the faster you go the harder it pushes the air guide against the radiator and reduces the air flow across it. Had this happen on my Vue, and I was seeing similar symptoms. At idle the fans had enough pull to overcome the blockage and cool the engine.

2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
halo14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfinger View Post
It's possible the thermostat is stuck closed or the temp sensor is faulty and sending a bad signal showing it's overheating.

Does the temp gauge drop if you turn on the heater full blast?

I agree about checking for codes and if possible accessing coolant temps. However, a bad temp sensor will send a bad coolant temp reading. When troubleshooting engine temps, I also use an IR thermometer just to double check.

The check for a stuck thermostat is fairly easy. Get the engine up to temp, put on a glove and squeeze the upper radiator hose. With the thermostat open, you can feel the coolant moving freely. With the thermostat closed, the hose won't be so easy to squeeze.
Thanks, this sounds like it might be the issue. I didn't try the heater trick since I had heard the fan running hard. Man, I forgot about that old thermostat hose trick, I'll try that for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
halo14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Also, look through the grill on the front of the Vue. If you can't see the radiator, then the plastic air guide has fallen in front of the radiator.

The air guide can be seen as part #28 in this diagram: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

This can cause your issue, as the faster you go the harder it pushes the air guide against the radiator and reduces the air flow across it. Had this happen on my Vue, and I was seeing similar symptoms. At idle the fans had enough pull to overcome the blockage and cool the engine.
I think that plastic air guide fell off a while ago, but not sure. I'll look for this as well, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
halo14

Quick update: I haven't had a chance to borrow the scanner from my brother-in-law, but I should get my hands on it this weekend. Also haven't had time because I borrowed my sister's 2007 ION and am trying to replace the TP sensor. I'm hoping to get to the Vue on the weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Check your upper radiator hose. Mine collapsed and caused an overheat. Replaced the hose (160,000 miles and 14 years, it had earned a replacement) and radiator coolant reservoir cap, and all is good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #12
halo14

Finally got my hands on a scanner, plugged it in, but it didn't pull any codes. The message displayed was 'no stored error codes found'. This is most likely caused because I had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining.

I also confirmed that the fan was running and blowing wind when the needle went passed the middle line. I let it heat up and hit the red checked both upper and lower radiator hoses for pressure, but felt none. They were also not hot from retaining the water in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #13
halo14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymmudasti View Post
Check your upper radiator hose. Mine collapsed and caused an overheat. Replaced the hose (160,000 miles and 14 years, it had earned a replacement) and radiator coolant reservoir cap, and all is good.
Checked the upper radiator hose and its connected with no leakage. I'll look into replacing the reservoir cap to see if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Mine was connected and not leaking either. But it had collapsed. Here is a picture of what happened. No coolant, or at least not much can get through with a collapsed hose. Just something to check, it was what happened in my case. It may not be your problem. Or if it is, you owe me a Coke (Diet Coke preferably)

I have included a google image of what it looks like - mine looked much worse. Replaced the hose and coolant reservoir cap, and all has been great since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015-4.jpg (92.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20140109_170302_zpsa9630122.jpg (84.5 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #15
halo14

Quote:
Mine was connected and not leaking either. But it had collapsed. Here is a picture of what happened. No coolant, or at least not much can get through with a collapsed hose. Just something to check, it was what happened in my case. It may not be your problem. Or if it is, you owe me a Coke (Diet Coke preferably)

I have included a google image of what it looks like - mine looked much worse. Replaced the hose and coolant reservoir cap, and all has been great since.
It doesn't look collapsed, but I'm going to double check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:

All coolant caps have two valves - a pressure relief and vacuum relief. A collapsed radiator hose indicates a vacuum existed - as soon as the coolant cap is loosened, the hose should return to normal. This would indicate the vacuum valve on the coolant cap seized, preventing a vacuum relief. I think GM made relief valve at around -1 psi, to prevent any vacuum from collapsing hoses and more importantly radiator and heater cores.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #17
halo14

Looks like the upper hose is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svh.jpg (100.5 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:16 AM   #18
halo14

Is there a way for me to tell if the thermostat needs replacing before I jump into it?

I have been reading and digging into the forum and have found some good posts (thank you all), but I'm getting mixed reviews as to what is causing my Vue to overheat.

I have no leaks from the pump, radiator, reserve or hoses. The vehicle takes about half an hour idling for it to hit the middle of the gauge which is when the fan comes on. The needle keeps rising, the water starts bubbling or boiling in the reserve tank before it hits the red mark, but then the temp slightly goes down (still above the middle line of the gauge) and the water calms a bit. The one thing I did notice is that the upper radiator hose is not getting hot or bloated at all when this happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 AM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Was coolant ever drained, flushed and replaced as part of long term ownership?

2-Was sealer ever used and possibly clogging the wrong passages, resulting in overheating?

3-Does the heater work?

4-What does the reader display for coolant temperatures? As long as temps are between 180F-200F, this system is fine. Anything over this operating range indicates a problem and step#5 should not be performed as higher operating temps imply close to or at boiling point when a cooling cap is opened - higher operating temps above specs means a very real possibility of coolant erupting suddenly when the coolant cap is unscrewed and scalding occurs. Higher than normal operating temps would also mean higher operating pressures just below the pressure relief valve in the coolant cap but can allow coolant to suddenly boil if the cap and pressure is allowed to escape when unscrewing the cap. This where all owner's manuals stress never removing the coolant cap with a hot engine and waiting an hour or when the engine has cooled down before removing the coolant cap.

Try measuring operating temps when coolant reaches the redline or when the cooling fan is expected to turn on. This should give you the highest temperature. Any other temperature measurement will probably be lower and not reflecting the highest number where you're concern is why its high.

5-Does the cooling system hold pressure (rating on coolant cap)? A simple and slightly hazardous way to tell if pressure is in the system; a fully warmed up engine is at operating temperature and pressure when the coolant cap (despite warnings against doing the following) is slowly opened; any pressure will slowly escape and may be heard without removing the cap completely or scalding anyone. I do it from time to time on my L300 (same 3.0L V6 engine) when necessary and have never been scalded. The precautions to safe depressurization of a fully warmed engine at operating temperatures and pressures; the coolant container is at the full (hot) mark with air above the full coolant level, not a container completely filled to the top. The air is pressurized to the same pressures in the cooling system and escapes first when the coolant cap is unscrewed slowly. A large heavy rag or towel can cover the coolant cap to allow any hot air and coolant that escapes if the coolant cap is unscrewed quickly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 AM   #20
halo14

1.I have not drained, flushed, or replaced the entire coolant since I purchased the 03í Vue in 08í. Iím not sure if it had been done by the previous owners.

2.No large amounts of sealer have been applied to passages during any of the fixes that Iíve done on the vehicle.

3.It takes about 30 minutes for it to blow out semi-warm air. Itís not cold, but it doesnít heat up to its full capacity.

4.Iím going to have to get a laser or infrared reader to measure the temperature. Once I get it (probably on Friday) I will measure when the coolant reaches the redline and when the cooling fan turns.

5.The new cap that I bought is 15PSI. I will also have to test this by using the method that you mentioned. Iíll slowly open the cap with a heavy rag over it and will watch out for the steam or hot air that comes out.

Flushing the radiator seems like a better way to go before trying to replace anything else. Thank you for your help and suggestions, fdryer. I'll post the updates as soon as I get this done, which hopefully will be this weekend.

Below are some of the posts that I've been reading. The issues are similar to mine, but are still a little different with various fixes. The thing that made me think it was the thermostat was that the upper radiator hose does not get hot or swollen when it overheats.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156525
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=192725&page=2
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ght=water+pump

REWARD EXCELLENCE!