SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
marc55045
marc55045 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default 3.0 miss fire hwy speed

Hello. I just inherited a 2002 VUE 3.0 AWD. 96 k . To make a long story short , I am the 3rd family member to have owned this and its problem. At a steady 50 mph, when trying to accelerate then back off and then accelerate again, engine light flashes, multiple cylinders, 1, 3 ,4 continuous miss fire. Engine shaking and losses power. Pull over or just put in neutral, shut off engine, restart. All is good except engine light on. Easy to recreate. My son has put in mass sensor and did the vacuum chamber springs. codes p0301,03,300. Looking for a little advice on what could be going on here and where to start looking.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marc55045's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marc55045 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marc55045 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 3.0 miss fire hwy speed

Does your misfire only occur at 50mph? Can't get it to misfire under the same acceleration conditions but at 40 or 60 mph?

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Ever change the plugs? Coil packs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Ever change the plugs? Coil packs?
Checking/changing the plugs and coil packs is a very good suggestion on this engine. Especially considering the fact that these V6's are known for leaky valve covers at relatively low miles that tend to foul the plugs and coil packs.

I noticed that you said you only have 96K on clock, which is pretty low for a 15 year old car, but you're the 3rd family member to have this Vue.

Were there times where this Vue sat without being driven for extended periods of time?

I ask because I'm in the process of getting an '03 3.0 Vue back on the road that sat for over a year with the prior owner and I was fighting a nasty misfire that would show up intermittently. Sometimes at idle, sometimes at speed. There wasn't really a whole lot of rhyme or reason to when it occurred.

After a full tune up (plugs, coil packs, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, timing belt, etc.), and a fresh tank of gas, I was still having issues with occasional misfires.

My last ditch effort since pretty much everything on the ignition side was brand new was that it had to be a fuel related issue. I ended up draining the tank using a Tech 2 and replacing the inline fuel filter, then refilling the tank with non-ethanol premium gas to be safe.

Since I emptied the tank and replaced the fuel filter, I haven't had a single misfire. Running regular unleaded in it now without any issues. I'm guessing that this engine is just particularly sensitive to ethanol, especially if the gas isn't particularly fresh.

If the fuel filter has never been changed and your Vue has sat for any extended period without being driven, it might be worth a shot to drain the tank to get rid of old gas and replace the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote