SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Bogie
Bogie is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 2003 Vue will not start

I have a 2003 Vue, 2.2L, 5 speed. The engine turns over but will not start. The dash lights and odometer do not light and I do not hear the fuel pump engaging. Suggestions before I tow it to my local mechanic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bogie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bogie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2003 Vue will not start

Have you checked the battery?

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Bogie

2003 VUE 2.2L

No issues with the battery - turns the engine over nicely. The dome light, headlights, and turn signals all work. Seems to be only the dash lights and odometer that are not working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bogie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Bogie

2003 VUE 2.2L

One other thing - the gas gauge does not move. Can't remember if it only moves when the engine is running. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it's ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Its a long shot but most of functions you are missing are fed from ignition switch 2 circuit ... see diagram ... and ignition switch must be turned to ON/RUN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue IP Fuse Box - edit.jpg (135.8 KB, 7 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Just because the engine cranks, doesn't mean your battery is fine.
This past Fall, our Vue stalled on my wife and cranked normally, but would only start and run briefly with starter fluid. Towing it home, I was convinced I had a bad fuel pump. On a whim, I had the battery load tested and it failed. New battery and we've had no issues since.

Now your issue could be something else of course, but if it were me, I'd take the battery to an auto parts place and test it before towing the Vue to a mechanic. Just my 2 cents...

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Bogie

2003 VUE 2.2L

I will check out the battery - thanks!

Will a bad ignition switch cause these issues? My wife has not taken the vehicle in for the ignition switch recall (not that I have been reminding her for 2 years).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There may be several issues to deal with; a crank, no start problem and instrument panel partially disabled. The instrument panel are largely driven by the body control module; Passlock, gateway for modules to send error messages to and output to the OBD II port, internal.external lighting, odometer logging, etc.. ABS, airbags and OnStar have their own modules and turn on their indicators without going thru the bcm. The ecm and bcm work together for security. Normally, security should be off when starting (not flashing quickly). If everything seems correct, you may have to perform some tests to narrow down possibilities of a fuel, spark or other issue.

Presuming all fuses are checked and none found blown, a fuel test can be done by turning on ignition, not starting, locating the fuel rail test valve, removing the black plastic cap to reveal a test valve, covering it loosely with a rag while depressing the valve stem. Expect fuel to spray out under pressure. This simple test checks pump operation but not injectors. Injectors are checked by removing spark plugs and examining them for wet, soaked fuel, indicating the EfI system is operating to pulse injectors. A spark test with plugs removed; reconnect plugs to the ignition coil assembly, ground each plug base (wires?) to the engine and have someone start the engine; you're looking for spark across each plug to indicate the ignition system is producing spark while starting.

The 'other' issue is if you don't see the tachometer needle moving when starting as an indication of the ecm/pcm not operating. Its rare for the ecm/pcm to fail but more likely a faulty crank position sensor failure. A faulty crank sensor kills the entire EFI system because it generates precise timing signals the ecm/pcm needs to operate. Timing signals sent to the ecm/pcm; turn on fuel pump, initiate ignition for spark and pulse injectors. No crank sensor signals while starting (no tach) = no fuel pump, no spark and no injector pulses. The tach is one way to tell if the crank sensor is working while starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I will check out the battery - thanks!

Will a bad ignition switch cause these issues? My wife has not taken the vehicle in for the ignition switch recall (not that I have been reminding her for 2 years).
Ignition cylinder rework only applies if you can remove key from ignition in any position other than OFF.

The ignition switch is in a small module attached to end of the lock cylinder. GM wouldn't be replacing that for free.

Did you review post #5?

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Badmotorfinger

2003 VUE 3.0L

In my experience, the engine will not crank if the ignition switch is bad.

Usually if the engine cranks but doesn't start it's either no fuel or no spark. (In the case of my previously mentioned crank/ no start, I suspect the failing battery caused a weak spark). I will usually test fuel/ spark with a shot of starter fluid. If it starts, I start checking fuel related components. If it doesn't I run down spark issues.

BTW, have you or your wife tried pulling the key out of the ignition when in the "run" position? If you can, tell your wife need to get the recall done ASAP.

(edit: Fd and F2G posted before I finished mine, but as always, they're spot on)

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The 'other' issue is if you don't see the tachometer needle moving when starting as an indication of the ecm/pcm not operating.
I've noted this data-point in GM FSM but I suspect its bogus.

The tach for 2.2 and 3.0 Vue's may move needle when cranking ... I have no personal experience with those vehicles ... but I've observed tach for 04-07 with 3.5 won't register during crank.

It appears the 3.5 tach display isn't calibrated to display RPM less than 250 to 300 and typical starting RPM is 200 ... but again - 2.2 could be different.

One thing that will work on 3.5 and probably other 02-07 Vue's is to connect a compatible code reader to OBD port ... set to measure RPM ... and crank RPM will be displayed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
....One thing that will work on 3.5 and probably other 02-07 Vue's is to connect a compatible code reader to OBD port ... set to measure RPM ... and crank RPM will be displayed.
Great idea!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote