SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
clockwork247
clockwork247 is on a distinguished road

Default White smoke coming out of exhaust when at a stop.

I have a Vue 06 V6 redline.

My car I just got has a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I'm at a stop light. This go on for about 15-20 min if the car is cold and I'm driving at low speed. If I hop out on the high way for a few min, then it go away very fast. but if I park the car for 8-10 hours and it's cold, then it'll do it again.

I do smell faint gasoline smell off the pipe, I do not smell coolant.

Oil is still at a good level, coolant is at a good level.

What's wrong with the car? I don't notice any performance issue.

The thermometer doesn't say there's an over heating issue (it's right where it suppose to be).

I'm now scare that I might have bought a lemon with engine issue. I will go check with a local shop, head gasket leak or radiator leak or some sort of leak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clockwork247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clockwork247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clockwork247 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: White smoke coming out of exhaust when at a stop.

You've noted that you reside in a very cold region. It would be helpful if you'd add that location into your profile.

1) Are you sure that what you're seeing come out of the tail pipe is smoke and not steam?
2) What are the typical daytime and overnight temps where you're located?
3) What pipe is this smell of gasoline coming from?

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
clockwork247

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
You've noted that you reside in a very cold region. It would be helpful if you'd add that location into your profile.

1) Are you sure that what you're seeing come out of the tail pipe is smoke and not steam?
2) What are the typical daytime and overnight temps where you're located?
3) What pipe is this smell of gasoline coming from?

I'm in San Diego, it's not super cold, maybe in the low 50F at night/early morning. Our humidity is high though, in the 60-80%.

Would they tell me what's wrong if I take the car to get smog?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help clockwork247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork247 View Post
I'm in San Diego, it's not super cold, maybe in the low 50F at night/early morning. Our humidity is high though, in the 60-80%.
Was I ever wrong about where you reside! You're about 120+ miles away from me. Your weather is cooler overall since you're nearer to the coast, but generally CA is a reasonably warm place even in Winter.

Quote:
So you would definitely be seeing smoke and not steam given the length of time you've noted its presence and that it eventually seems to disappear. It's likely that you're therefore burning oil which is generating the smoke at the tail pipe. Oil is therefore entering the combustion chamber. The question is where the oil is entering from? My hunch would be that it's leaking past a valve seal (from above), but it's only a hunch.

Would a smog test reveal what's wrong? I would think that it could confirm what other gaseous element is present within the exhaust and whether or not it is related to engine oil. However, that's all it can do. More diagnosis would be required. If my idea is correct about oil being burned then the first thing to be checked would be the spark plugs. They'd be pulled and examined to determine if any of them are being fouled by oil.

A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

If you take the car to get smogged, chances are if it's burning coolant you will fail the test.

Does the smoke/ steam stop once the engine comes up to temperature at idle? For example, you're stopped at an off ramp after a freeway run.

Does the smoke/ steam linger like a thick fog or does it dissipate quickly?

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfinger View Post
If you take the car to get smogged, chances are if it's burning coolant you will fail the test.
^Good point. If you're due for a smog test do not have it tested in this condition. Verify what the problem is that's causing the excessive white tail pipe emission to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfinger View Post
Does the smoke/ steam stop once the engine comes up to temperature at idle? For example, you're stopped at an off ramp after a freeway run.

Does the smoke/ steam linger like a thick fog or does it dissipate quickly?
These questions should be answered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
clockwork247

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
^Good point. If you're due for a smog test do not have it tested in this condition. Verify what the problem is that's causing the excessive white tail pipe emission to be seen.

These questions should be answered.

If I ran on the freeway. There will be no more smoke.

The smoke go away pretty quickly. Some of it is steam. I can tell by the smell. Some has gasoline smell. I checked the oil level. And it seems within the normal range.

I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

I think you're just seeing the steam from your catalytic converter getting ready to "light off" IOW when you start the car there is lots of moisture in the combustion chambers, the exhaust system and even the cat. In the weather conditions you're describing (50's, high humidity) it's completely normal for you to see (what you're calling smoke) and smell a faint gasoline smell. You're running rich because it's a cold start and you have not gone into closed loop (where the computer actually watches O2 sensors and other inputs). The engine is running on a pre-programmed cycle, the moisture is burning off internally and in the exhaust system. Once the engine reaches a programmed temperature point the ECM begins looking at the sensor inputs and adjusting accordingly. The steam begins to go away.
I see this happen even here in the summer when we have a "cool" AM of say in the low 60's and high dew points and humidity. It's perfectly normal.
Bottom line stop sniffing exhaust (people will think you're weird) and don't worry about the steam if it goes away. If it was a head gasket issue believe me you would KNOW it. The smell is sickening sweet or if it was oil you'd know it because it would be like driving an old outboard motor everywhere. Plus it would never go away.
I'm sure your engine is just fine.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
I think you're just seeing the steam from your catalytic converter getting ready to "light off" IOW when you start the car there is lots of moisture in the combustion chambers, the exhaust system and even the cat. In the weather conditions you're describing (50's, high humidity) it's completely normal for you to see (what you're calling smoke) and smell a faint gasoline smell.
I'm sure your engine is just fine.
Based on the info provided, I agree. Steam, not smoke, and totally normal.

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
clockwork247

Came back from the mechanic, he confirmed that it isn't the issue with the white steam/smoke. He said if there was any issue it would stay and not gone away. We did find the rear shock was leaking. So we will replace that, along with the front rotor and brakes. Will also do an oil and tranny oil change.

Thanks guys for all the help. You guys are awesome.

I also smog the car. It passed without any issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Clockwork,
Make sure you do a drain and fill, NOT machine pumped, trans fluid drain. And use DW1 fluid. On the brakes, go with Max brakes drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I paid $60.00 and a couple for them and love them.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
I think you're just seeing the steam from your catalytic converter getting ready to "light off" IOW when you start the car there is lots of moisture in the combustion chambers, the exhaust system and even the cat. ....
NOt to mention that water is a product of combustion. THere will always be H2O in exhaust..Warmup time can take a bit until the "steam of combustion" fully vaporizes.

WHether that's is the reason for the steam, or if it's from another source- maybe a pressure test/UV dye check on the cooling system...- the cause is up for grabs.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

Keep it away from the smog shop unless you have to smog it, please.
I know a couple good shops in Escondido, can't rec'd a SAn Diego shop.
Who's your mechanic?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
clockwork247

went to the mechanics, everything checked out ok, need to replace brakes/rotor (front), rear shocks, axel seal, and oil change and tranny oil change... not sure how much it's gonna cost, but hopefully under 500.

it also pass smog, so it's ready to be register under me . Decent car, but boy Saturn went cheap on the interior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Came back from the mechanic, he confirmed that it isn't the issue with the white steam/smoke. He said if there was any issue it would stay and not gone away.......

I also smog the car. It passed without any issues.
I'm happy that my idea was wrong! There are plenty of other expenses our vehicles with bring to us as it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!