SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
bigforte1
bigforte1 is on a distinguished road

Default Can't take this growling/grinding noise any more. HELP

My wife recently purchased a 2003 Vue about a month after buying it a horrendous grinding growling noise started coming from the front driver side area we replaced the driver side front hub assembly but the noise continues starts at about 30 miles an hour and the faster you go the louder and more head splitting it gets please help could it be the passenger side front hub assembly, or something entirely different? Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigforte1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigforte1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigforte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Can't take this growling/grinding noise any more. HELP

AWD/FWD ?4banger/6cyl engine? with the CVT/ VTi autotragic trans ? Or what engine /trans? Purchased as is?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Really need more info on your Vue, but I would check the pax side hub.

2003 Saturn Vue V6 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badmotorfinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badmotorfinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

BTTT...post more backround

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
gomoboo
gomoboo is on a distinguished road

Does it sound like an airplane? Anyway, make sure it isn't your tires. Then, it is probably a wheel bearing. I have an 04 2wd 3.5, and had the same problem. It was hard to isolate, because it was so loud. Ended up replacing both front hubs, and majority of noise was gone. Still had slight noise so I replaced the rear hubs also. But, I do have 230,000 miles on mine. Nice and quiet now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gomoboo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gomoboo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gomoboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Jenwithavue
Jenwithavue is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 Vue and my front wheel bearings have been replaced twice in the last year the latest pair in the front right only lasted two months. I've read somewhere that bad CV joints will lead to bearings not lasting so that's my next step. Luckily my son can do it or it gets pretty costly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jenwithavue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jenwithavue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jenwithavue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenwithavue View Post
I have an 07 Vue and my front wheel bearings have been replaced twice in the last year the latest pair in the front right only lasted two months. I've read somewhere that bad CV joints will lead to bearings not lasting so that's my next step. Luckily my son can do it or it gets pretty costly.
I can't make a case for CVJ but would test for dragging brakes.

Do a bit of stop and go driving to warm things up then find a flat parking lot or road - drive about 20 mph - shift to neutral and make sure there's no evidence of brakes being applied during coast-down.

Partially clogged front brake hoses will cause rotor, caliper and hub temps to soar and will bake and ruin bearing grease sooner than expected.

If brakes pass the coast test - I'd pay premium price to get best hubs available. IMO - there's way too much junk on the market these days.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Jenwithavue

I had that same noise and assumed it was the bearings so my son replaced it along with the passenger side axle and the noise is still there. It's not the tires or brakes as pads and rotors were replaced this year. Any ideas? It's a speed dependent noise. Could it be the intermediate drive shaft bearing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jenwithavue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
TombedOrchestra
TombedOrchestra will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I had that same noise and assumed it was the bearings so my son replaced it along with the passenger side axle and the noise is still there. It's not the tires or brakes as pads and rotors were replaced this year. Any ideas? It's a speed dependent noise. Could it be the intermediate drive shaft bearing?
The exact bearing can be tough to isolate. I had to have my wife jump in the back to determine if it were front / back and left / right. I had a hunch, but my hunches kept switching. Did your son replace both bearings? My bet would still be on one of the hubs.

2005 Vue
2.2 Ecotech
Manual Transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TombedOrchestra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TombedOrchestra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TombedOrchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Jenwithavue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombedOrchestra View Post
The exact bearing can be tough to isolate. I had to have my wife jump in the back to determine if it were front / back and left / right. I had a hunch, but my hunches kept switching. Did your son replace both bearings? My bet would still be on one of the hubs.
I am the original owner of my 5 speed Vue and had bearing problems since it was under warranty. My son had replaced the passenger front bearing in late June (Timken) and the noise returned about 3 weeks ago. I know this sounds weird but I listen very closely to every noise on my car. The left front was replaced by Belle Tire in February of 2015 and didn't last a year so they replaced iit at no charge. The noise is definitely is in the right front and even towards the middle. I mention the intermediate bearing only because my son looked in the Haynes manual trying to figure out what it could be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
ethegoalie
ethegoalie is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I am the original owner of my 5 speed Vue and had bearing problems since it was under warranty. My son had replaced the passenger front bearing in late June (Timken) and the noise returned about 3 weeks ago. I know this sounds weird but I listen very closely to every noise on my car. The left front was replaced by Belle Tire in February of 2015 and didn't last a year so they replaced iit at no charge. The noise is definitely is in the right front and even towards the middle. I mention the intermediate bearing only because my son looked in the Haynes manual trying to figure out what it could be.
I have a similar problem with my '04 5 speed. I'm at 125k, second owner and I've been trying to isolate a similar sound myself. I've come up with front right hub, but the sound does seem like it could be coming more towards the center of the vehicle. I have purchased new hubs, just haven't had a chance to get to install them yet - I don't think that's going to be the cause at this point anyway.

I should hopefully have a chance this weekend, to finally get everything up on stands and see if I can isolate the noise with some assistance - hopefully we can figure this one out!

04 2.2L Vue Stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ethegoalie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ethegoalie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ethegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Jenwithavue

Please let me know what you come up with because the noise is still there but now on the left but also I feel a vibration in the middle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!