SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
mikeyshane331
mikeyshane331 is on a distinguished road

Default Flush coolant with ECTS change??

I am going to try to change my ECTS this weekend, I already have the new brass version at home. I am wondering if I should go ahead and flush out my coolant system, I think it looks pretty dirty. I have searched about flushing it and it seems a little confusing ( I think it is just where different people do it different ways that is confusing me).

If I do this, I plan on opening up the radiator drain valve and the engine drain valve and letting it all run out then, turn on the water hose and start the engine and let it all run through untill its clear **(do i leave both plugs out while I do this?)** Then reinstalling both plugs and putting in one gallon of DEXCOOL (It is a 1997 sl2) and then filling it up the rest of the way with water.
Is this THE CORRECT procedure?
If it isn't, would you please tell me what to do.

Oh, and by the way I am also changing the top motor mount, any tips on changing mount, ects, or fluid are greatly appreciated.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: Flush coolant with ECTS change??

theres a sticky in the how-to for the ects. You dont need to flush out the coolant when you do the sensor though.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
mikeyshane331

Well, I just thought that since it was dirty, and I dont know when it was done last,it might like make the sensor dirty or something. Do you all still think i dont need to
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

Well if its dirty i would. Make sure you use DEXCOOL to re-fill the system. I dont know about making this sensor dirty though...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Gold93SL1
Gold93SL1 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

This is also something I'm considering doing on the "new" '93 SL1. Definitely the brass ECTS either way, but depending on how old/dirty it's coolant is, I may drain/flush/fill myself. Is there a DIY procedure for flushing - has mikeyshane331 got things right?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
ScurriVision
ScurriVision is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 SW2

Since you've stated the coolent, "looks dirty" I would go ahead and flush the coolent. Then, before filling up the coolent, change out the ECTS. Your coolent flush proceedure sounds fine to me... just make sure you have a wide enough pan (or two separate containers/pans) to catch both streams coming out.

The motor mount is pretty easy..as I did two of them (my SL2 & my wifees SL1).. and will be doing the lower passenger-side mount and front mount soon!
There are instructions for changing the upper passenger side engine mount under the, "how to" boards here.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out fine!

Hope this helpz,

Old 05-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

If you "think" the coolant looks dirty, then it probably does need to be changed. It's easy, especially because you are going to change your ECTS anyway. Warning from one who knows-----do not overtighten your new sensor when installing! Inch-pounds, not foot pounds. If I were you, I'd just watch closely while hand turning in the brass sensor until you think it has pretty well seated, if it will allow that. Then just give it a quarter turn to snug it up. If it leaks when you refill the fluid then snug it up a little more. Have fun.

Jerry
Old 05-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

What happens if you don't use Dexcool? I have a 1998 SL2 and refuse to use that stuff. Regular coolant has been in my car for 40,000 miles and I haven't had any problems. Dexcool is a scam because it NEVER lasts to 100,000 miles.
2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver
Old 05-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

Well we have aluminum blocks. Now aparently regular coolant which has phosphate will eat away at the block because of the phosphate. Now i just changed to DEXCOOL but i ran the other stuff before and personally...i didnt notice any issues.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_new_raceman
Well we have aluminum blocks. Now aparently regular coolant which has phosphate will eat away at the block because of the phosphate. Now i just changed to DEXCOOL but i ran the other stuff before and personally...i didnt notice any issues.
Yeah, all Saturns have had alluminum blocks though, so I don't think it matters one way or the other. Dexcool is a GM idea so ofcourse they're going to tell you to use that.
2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver
Old 05-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

For what it's worth-----If a manufacturer makes a car that requires a "special" part (or anti-freeze) I think it would be very wise to stick with that, even if it costs a little more. The anti-freeze was quite probably designed around the fact that internal components and parts, for that car, needed an anti-freeze with special chemical additives, etc., to operate with no problem for years. Hey, the difference in cost over the years is minimal. Good luck!

Jerry
Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #12
Derwood3285
Derwood3285 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2

I just use Prestone all color... does the trick.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
callmethewander
callmethewander is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1994 SC2

what do you do with the used coolant! for me thats the hardest part of the job!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Take the used coolant to a shop that will dispose of it safely. Check your yellow pages for shops in your neighborhood that will collect it. That's the safe and easy way. They take care of it all. Never just "dump" or bury it. It is especially poisonous to animals.

Jerry
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
callmethewander
callmethewander is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1994 SC2

definitely not!! i would not just dump it or let it run into a sewer, thats why i haven't flushed it yet, i'll look for a shop that will take it but i was thinking it might be easier to find a place that would just do the flush for me...
Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

If you've got a little time, flushing the system yourself is really quite simple. The advantage to that is that you know that the job was done right and the coolant was mixed with the proper amount of distilled water. Good luck,

Jerry
Old 05-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #17
mikeyshane331

I did it all today, and followed your alls instructions. Everything went smothly, the flush, the mount, and the sensor. Thanks Saturnfans! My car runs a lot better now.
Closed Thread