SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default ECTS lock tight on thresds--plumber's tape?

Real quick question. Since my mileage is close to 60,000 on my old ECT sensor I just picked one up at Autozone for under $10 (2 year warranty) and will install. Question is---I have some plumbers white-colored thread tape around the house. Will that work okay on the sensor's threads or will the high temps screw it up? Thanks for your info.

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: ECTS lock tight on thresds--plumber's tape?

^ ^ ^ that's what richpin used in his video - teflon tape. I was planning to use it as well, probably this weekend, so I'll be watching this thread
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ ^ that's what richpin used in his video - teflon tape. I was planning to use it as well, probably this weekend, so I'll be watching this thread
Thanks for the info, alordofchaos!

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Teflon tape, or any pipe dope will work just fine.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
toddmog
toddmog is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I used teflon tape about a month ago. No issues to report.
1998 SL2...Completely Stock...Automatic...Power Everything...133K
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Teflon tape, or any pipe dope will work just fine.
Thanks, OldNuc. One more question. I tried to connect the two wires to the connection by using two plastic Butt splices. The smallest I could find are the red-colored ones and they don't crimp down on the ends to hold the wires securely. I mean, after I crimp the ends down, I can still move the wires inside, slightly. So I found a couple of "tube" connectors laying around here that look like I could use. They are about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches long and each one has a plastic exterior but the inside looks like it's copper. You push both ends of the wires inside and I assume you bite down on the center, thus securing the connection. On the outside of the plastic is stamped 20-18 AWG 20-18 AWG. Does that sound like it would fit the wires to the sensor correctly? Thanks,

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Is your "old ECTS sensor" with 60K on it the factory original?

Was the connector bad?
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes Jerry the 20-18 connector will work as long as you can get them crimped tightly.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Is your "old ECTS sensor" with 60K on it the factory original?

Was the connector bad?
No but it was purchased from a Saturn dealer. In other words, I am replacing the brass with brass. Don't know if the connector was bad or not but changed 60K ago anyway. OldNuc advised me to solder the two wire connections but I don't have any gas or solder so I am trying to use this connecting "tube". Waiting for a response to see if it will work. Thanks,

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Yes Jerry the 20-18 connector will work as long as you can get them crimped tightly.
Ahhhhhh, thanks, OldNuc. You're a savior---have to pick someone up at the airport pretty soon.

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Find a friend with a soldering gun.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Find a friend with a soldering gun.
Yes, I know. So I shouldn't really use a torch when soldering?? Because of the heat factor on the wires, etc.? Didn't even think of a soldering gun. Oh well, pressed for time, I had to resort to the cheap, yellow, cone connectors. I taped around them really well but I got to say that I'm starting to run out of wire length! Just made it to the sensor. I tried as hard as I could but came to the realization that it would take a gorilla and two small men to crimp down on those 20-18 connectors! No way. Ha. I'll have to put the soldering on my "To do" list. Thanks for the help.

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
KCdave
KCdave is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Yeah, Teflon.

But is this a real story? I've been in 3 Auto Zones and none of them had an ECTS.

You live in a magical place, Jerry.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCdave View Post
Yeah, Teflon.

But is this a real story? I've been in 3 Auto Zones and none of them had an ECTS.

Ah, yes, San Diego. Wouldn't leave it for love nor money.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Yeah, Teflon.

You are not asking them for the right thing. Ask for a Standard Motor Products TX73 or their equivalent.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Noticed a difference between the old sensor and the new. The temp on the dash gauge used to get close to the half-way mark but the new is half-way between the 1/4 and the 1/2 mark. Don't know if that's good or bad---but the car seems to be still driving nicely.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
toddmog

1998 SL2

Quote:
Yeah, Teflon.

I went to my local autozone after looking the part up online. I told them I wanted part #SU1131. They went to the back, grabbed the part, said it came with a 2 year warranty and said it would be $10.77 with tax. I had it installed within 10 mins.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
You are not asking them for the right thing. Ask for a Standard Motor Products TX73 or their equivalent.
The number on the box from Autozone is SU1131 and it's a Duralast part, made in Mexico. I like Duralast, have had really good luck with that brand of products. (Note, that's for my 97 SL)

Jerry
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmog View Post
I went to my local autozone after looking the part up online. I told them I wanted part #SU1131. They went to the back, grabbed the part, said it came with a 2 year warranty and said it would be $10.77 with tax. I had it installed within 10 mins.
Don't know why the difference in cost between Kansas and California. About a buck cheaper here, which really surprises me.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
toddmog

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Don't know why the difference in cost between Kansas and California. About a buck cheaper here, which really surprises me.
That is weird. $9.99 + tax here...had the teflon tape in the tool box already.