SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench Torque Axis Mount (Upper Engine Mount) Replacement

The "Torque Axis Mount" is located on the passenger side TOP of the engine on all "S" series (DOHC and SOHC) cars made from 92'-02'. The 91' SOHC (SL, SL1) DO NOT have this mount. It is a "U" shaped metal/rubber mount secured to the engine with 3 15mm/nuts and to the space frame with 2 15mm/nuts. To change it you will need:

Floor jack with a block of wood or rolled up piece of carpet to act as a "cushion"
15mm DEEP WELL socket and wrench

Proceed as follows.

With a block of wood or carpet padding the floor jacks "pad" to protect the oil pan, place it under the front passenger side portion of the oil pan as close to the frame as possible.

Jack up the engine about 1 INCH (you'll see it move) to relieve pressure on the mount.

Using the 15mm deep well socket, remove the 5 15mm nuts holding the mount to the engine and space frame. (3 engine side, 2 spaceframe side)

Lift UP (yank might be a better word) on the old mount to remove it.

Slide the new mount down over the studs on the engine/frame and reinstall the nuts using the 15mm socket. Torque "should" be 20~25 ft pds BUT do not be overly concerned here, just DON'T wrench down to the extreme and things will be fine.

Lower the jack and remove it from under the car.

NOTES:
Often the studs will unscrew out of the engine instead of the nuts coming off the studs. This can be prevented by spraying the nuts with some "PB Blaster" or similiar penetrating oil the night before you plan on changing the mount. Even if they DO still unscrew with the nuts, you CAN just treat the entire thing as a "bolt" when reinstalling it BUT start it back into the hole in the ALUMINUM cover BY HAND to ensure you don't cross thread it!

If your mount has NEVER been changed, (and even if it has) get the part from SATURN, aftermarket mounts although cheaper, have shown to have fitment and quality issues. A new mount from Saturn "may" (depending on the year of your car) need 3 new studs and 5 new nuts to go with it at an additional expense. GET THEM. They simply unscrew out of the engine cover like long bolts using an adjustable wrench. When installing the new studs (if you do) start them into the holes BY HAND and then tighten them until they bottom (nearly all the lower threads disappear into the hole) DO NOT overtighten the new studs! 20ft pds (snug) is ALL that is required!

For you time and expense, you will be amazed at how much better the car will sound and feel with the engine running.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Fm Wolf
Quote:
A new mount from Saturn "may" (depending on
the year of your car) need 3 new studs and 5 new nuts to go with it at an additional expense. GET THEM.
In addition: As was the case with my car, I did not need the new studs. But, when I picked up the mount, the dealer aggresively told me that I would need it. I took the studs & nuts (not cheap) under the conditions that I could return them should it be found that they were not needed. As they were not, was able to return them for a full refund. Keep this in mind with picking up a new engine mount.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 AM   #3
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Yup, get the studs and nuts if you're not sure, then if you don't need them, you can always get a refund later.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
Lurker1999
Lurker1999 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Here's some additional tools that I found quite helpful in the process:

6 inch 3/8" extension
7mm socket, 6 point, 1/4" drive
3/4" x 2 foot pipe as a breaker bar

If you spray the nuts with penetrating oil the night before everything will go much smoother.

You don't have to jack the car up. You can use the space in front of the passenger side front tire and the wheel well to lever your hydraulic floor jack up without needing to raise the front of the car.

You will likely want the extension with the breaker bar so you can exert enough force to undo the nuts without banging into anything.

You likely will not need new nuts but may need new studs. Buy both and return what you don't need.

There are two lengths of studs differing by about a half centimeter. The new studs appeared to have been coated with something

Be sure to check that the bottom of the mount with the frame side bolted loosely is flush with the top edge of the engine before you try to tighten things down. If they don't meet up exactly use the lift to raise the engine a bit.

Enjoy the vibration free ride (I am)!

93 SC2a 69k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lurker1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lurker1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #5
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Fm Lurker
Quote:
You likely will not need new nuts but may need new studs. Buy both and return what you don't need....
But...in advance, get understanding from the parts department, should you find that the new studs are not needed, that you can return them. Without this advance understanding, some dealers will not accept returns.

Just a safety thought -- cover yourself in advance..

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #6
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2
Default Re: Torque Axis mount (upper engine mount) replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
Jack up the engine about 1 INCH (you'll see it move) to relieve pressure on the mount.
Unless your mount is completely shot like mine was the second time I changed it, you may need to lift the engine a little more. I lifted one inch to remove the old mount, but had to lift it an additional inch once I slipped the new mount on to get the studs to stick out sufficiently.

My reality check bounced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

The top engine mount is super-easy!! I ended up replacing all 3 studs because I had already bent one trying to reach 52 ft/lbs as in the Chiltons book! Can't believe everything you read I guess applies to instruction manuals too now. Either way, $7 for brand new studs is cheap insurance.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
s1sharma
s1sharma is on a distinguished road

Wolfman: Do you know how to change lower mount? Your advise were very helpful for upper mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s1sharma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s1sharma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1sharma
Wolfman: Do you know how to change lower mount? Your advise were very helpful for upper mount.

SeArch the how to section some more. I know some people have pictured steps showing how to, although wolfman did not explain them all, they are still good detailed instructions...

o yeA, search for lower transmission mounts and maybelower motor mounts, they called different things but still the same.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Attention Re: Torque Axis Mount (Upper Engine Mount) Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenPilot
The top engine mount is super-easy!! I ended up replacing all 3 studs because I had already bent one trying to reach 52 ft/lbs as in the Chiltons book! Can't believe everything you read I guess applies to instruction manuals too now. Either way, $7 for brand new studs is cheap insurance.
Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. Wolfman wrote the torque for those nuts is 52 foot pounds for the 1992 S-Series and 37 foot pounds for the 1993 through 1997 and 1998 through 2001 S-Series in the following thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...to+Engine+Nuts

The last two times I did this procedure I used only 35 foot pounds.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #11
QwikSC2
QwikSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Torque Axis Mount (Upper Engine Mount) Replacement

What is the part number for the TAM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QwikSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QwikSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Wrench Re: Torque Axis Mount (Upper Engine Mount) Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikSC2
What is the part number for the TAM?
For the 1992 and later S-Series the part number is 21012185. (The 1991 S-Series cars did not have it.)

If you want to replace the 3 studs and 5 nuts, the studs are part number 11518885 and the nuts are part number 21006320.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #13
SimPlyxTriPPiN
SimPlyxTriPPiN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
1997 SL2

i would like to thank wolfman for this write up. i just replced my TAM and the difference is great especially on acceleration and gear shifts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SimPlyxTriPPiN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SimPlyxTriPPiN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
jlevino
jlevino is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
1991 SC

Recently I acquired a 91 SC and I'm in the process of restoring it to drivability. Is it possible to retrofit the 91 model year to accept a top engine mount?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlevino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlevino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

You'd be better off by moving this question over to the S-Series site, for this is the How-To Library; a source for procedures submitted by the techs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 05-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
heromeet
heromeet is on a distinguished road

Anyone knows if 98 SL2 needs the studs and nuts?
Based on their parts number, the studs and nuts are for 92-96 saturn. However, my local dealer strongly recommended replacing them. Got confused...

Another question, can I use the small scissor jack in the trunk instead of the floor jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m
For the 1992 and later S-Series the part number is 21012185. (The 1991 S-Series cars did not have it.)

If you want to replace the 3 studs and 5 nuts, the studs are part number 11518885 and the nuts are part number 21006320.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heromeet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heromeet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #17
sunshn1972
sunshn1972 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I just replaced the TAM this morning (98 SL2; 120,000 miles), and the difference is unreal. I had been considering trading it in because the vibration in the passenger compartment made me nervous. With the new TAM, I can't even tell the car is running without looking at the tachometer!

As far as replacing the studs and nuts, I decided that for the $12 it was worth it and ordered theem along with the TAM. When I received them, I tried putting the nuts onto the studs to see if they would fit. They only went part way down the stud then wouldn't move any more, which had me nervous about whether I had ordered the right parts.

The new studs and nuts did work. After looking at the new ones and old ones, it appears that the threading is set up so that the threads on the nuts become slightly distorted when they are forced down onto the studs. If that's true, I assume it's done to help keep the nuts from vibrating loose. Anyone know if that's true?

This space intentionally left blank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sunshn1972's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sunshn1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #18
FredM
FredM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

I need to do this on my 98 SL2 also. Does anyone recommend using anti-seize (sp?) compound on the studs / nuts?

Or is that a bad idea for this application?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FredM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FredM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #19
sunshn1972
sunshn1972 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

From what little I found on it, the nuts are "pinch" nuts. The threads on the nuts are apaprently cut so that they don't fit the studs exactly and pinch when they are turned onto the studs. I assume this is done to make sure they won't vibrate loose. I assume this is why so many people say to replace the studs and nuts (which I did).

I'd vote for no anti-sieze. I just sprayed some WD-40 on them a couple days before making the change, and there weren't any real problems getting the old ones out. Some nuts came off the studs, and some studs came out with the nuts on them. With the studs that came out the nuts came off esily once I had them out.

Let us know how much of a difference you feel.

This space intentionally left blank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sunshn1972's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sunshn1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
Creelove
Creelove is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Has anyone tried doing this repair using the Saturn tire jack instead of a floor jack? My 1997 vibrates like crazy in neutral (I'm assuming the problem is the mount) and would love to change the mount myself, but I don't have access to a floor jack.

Also, what is the cost of the engine mount from Saturn?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Creelove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Creelove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread