SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
gizzi
gizzi is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 SL1
Default Monroe quick strut

Anybody have any experience with these? The OEM's lasted over 200K and 10 years before they finally bit the dust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gizzi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gizzi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Monroe quick strut

THey are excellent

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I have put them on a lot of different vehicals.What you will notice is the ride height of your car will be a little higher till the springs take a set.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
gizzi

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
THey are excellent
How long have you had them on your car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gizzi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

All it is, is a spring compressorless job.

A spring compressor is pretty cheap, and easy to use. I recommend just getting struts and re-using the stock springs.

But that being said, if money were no object, I'd use the quick struts too!

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
gizzi

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

Money isn't really an issue. I want more convenience then anything, and for about $125 per side from rockauto, I would much rather have the whole assembly including new strut mounts and springs. I might pull the springs off the old ones and just use them as spares.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzi View Post
How long have you had them on your car?
I have them on our Mini-Van about a year. I used them as it was CHEAPER than rebuilding the struts. So to whoever is poopooing about $$$$ being no object. Trust me money IS an object. It's why I used them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
I have them on our Mini-Van about a year. I used them as it was CHEAPER than rebuilding the struts. So to whoever is poopooing about $$$$ being no object. Trust me money IS an object. It's why I used them.
Rebuilding struts?

I'm just talking about a KYB GR-2 vs a Monroe Quick Strut.

The GR2's are somewhere around half the price, and there is no rebuilding necessary. Just remove the existing spring, and put it on the new strut.

Where on earth did you get quick struts that made them a better solution over regular struts cost wise?

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
underthehood
Master Member

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
Rebuilding struts?

I'm just talking about a KYB GR-2 vs a Monroe Quick Strut.

The GR2's are somewhere around half the price, and there is no rebuilding necessary. Just remove the existing spring, and put it on the new strut.

Where on earth did you get quick struts that made them a better solution over regular struts cost wise?
Pricing everything I needed to rebuild them over the cost of the QS from Monroe. It WAS cheaper by about $30 a side on my last ones done. I got them from Amazon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
Rebuilding struts? .<snip>. Where on earth did you get quick struts that made them a better solution over regular struts cost wise?
I just went through that HxxL with my kid's Sunfire. Broken rear mount.. Ok, no big deal (I thought). Ordered a set of mounts from RA figuring that both should be replaced. Got the struts out and found that both shocks were frozen to the mount.. Ok, so we got some shocks from the FLAPS and cut off the shaft. Hmm, couldn't get the boot/bumper off so we went and got those as well. Put them together and (after in the car) realized that there is another upper retainer missing!! Guess what.. dealer only part (special order) and this was on a Sunday. I decided to cut my losses and ordered two quick struts from RA for less than cost of all the parts needed to rebuild. It took less than an hour to slap them in.

Admittedly the Saturn struts are simpler but that was a lesson learned..

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
gizzi

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
I just went through that HxxL with my kid's Sunfire. Broken rear mount.. Ok, no big deal (I thought). Ordered a set of mounts from RA figuring that both should be replaced. Got the struts out and found that both shocks were frozen to the mount.. Ok, so we got some shocks from the FLAPS and cut off the shaft. Hmm, couldn't get the boot/bumper off so we went and got those as well. Put them together and (after in the car) realized that there is another upper retainer missing!! Guess what.. dealer only part (special order) and this was on a Sunday. I decided to cut my losses and ordered two quick struts from RA for less than cost of all the parts needed to rebuild. It took less than an hour to slap them in.

Admittedly the Saturn struts are simpler but that was a lesson learned..

This is exactly why I asked about the quick struts. Trying to reuse old and worn components isn't worth the time and hassle. Most of the time you end up opening pandoras box and getting all sorts of unwanted surprises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!