SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Default Corrosion on coil pack and spark plug terminals

Tonight I figured that I would replace my spark plugs since it has been about 32,000 miles since last done. There are 102,000 miles on the XE5. Yes I know, they should be replaced every 25,000 miles but since the original GM plugs were replaced with Denso platinum plugs, I was not too concerned. When the coil pack was removed it appears there is a film of light green colored corrosion on both the coil pack terminal and boot and the top of the spark plugs terminal. It looks about the shade of weathered copper. It is on only one terminal, the inside right (passenger) side. I do not know what cylinder that would be. Any advice other than continuing to change out the plugs? I do have another new (GM brand) coil pack in my always needed Astra replacement parts stash. So what the heck, might as well throw some more parts at it?

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Corrosion on coil pack and spark plug terminals

I noticed some dirt does make its way into the head where the spark plugs sit.

I put a generous amount of dielectric grease inside the coilpack at the 4 points where it mates with the 4 spark plugs & at the terminal.

What was the condition of your old spark plugs that you removed (color, buildup, gap)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
I noticed some dirt does make its way into the head where the spark plugs sit.

I put a generous amount of dielectric grease inside the coilpack at the 4 points where it mates with the 4 spark plugs & at the terminal.

What was the condition of your old spark plugs that you removed (color, buildup, gap)?
The spark plugs were pretty dirty. They had a good amount of build up on them and were darkened but not black. A little bit oily too. But the gap was still good. After I replaced the plugs, air filter and cleaned the as much of the MAF sensor and throttle body as I could, the car now starts a split second quicker and there is no occasional hesitation. After I did all of this it did not clear the CEL, (another post), but at least it runs better, although it did not run all that bad to begin with. Oh, I did use lots of dielectric grease.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear you did not get that code sorted.

Maybe it is worth dropping by a Chevy dealer or good local guy for review of the code with potential solutions...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote