SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default Temp gauge works, then doesnt, back and forth

I have a 2001 SC-2. I noticed the other day on my way home from work the temp gauge was not reading and it seemed to be using a lot of gas quickly but no codes.. I get home and shut it off and turn the ignition back on and the gauge started working. Ok, this happened again the other day..i noticed the gauge wasn't working and so I shut it off and turned the ignition back on and it jumped up to temperature..Its like sometimes it doesn't make the connection through the ignition switch or something..I have already replaced the ects and it seems to have nothing to do with the wiring to the ects as I can wiggle the crap out of those wires and it doesn't make the gauge stop working when its working and doesn't make it start working when its not..The only thing to make it start working is shut the ignition off and then turn it back on..Any ideas?
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: Temp gauge works, then doesnt, back and forth

Is the Service Wrench light on?

This may be a defective instrument cluster or a defective BCM issue.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Failed ECTS, connector, or bad non-soldered splices in the ECTS wiring. Not likely a cluster or BCM failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
1993 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Failed ECTS, connector, or bad non-soldered splices in the ECTS wiring. Not likely a cluster or BCM failure.
well, I can wiggle the crap out of all the wires in that big harness where the pigtail comes out of that goes to the ECTS and it does NOT make the gauge stop working when its working and does not make it start working when its not working..turning the key off and then back on is the only thing that makes it start working when its not. I would think a bad ECTS or wire connection would make the gauge jump around when grabbing the wires and wiggling them. I replaced the ECTS last year with a new brass one. Also, no service wrench light on..no lights at all on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

seeing that you replaced the ETCS last year would make me suspect it right off. Since almost all parts are cheap imported junk I'd start there.

Highmile
'95 SL1 660k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote