SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Commando44
Commando44 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1994 SL1
Default Age old problem....oil

1994 Saturn SL 1
As many of the users here on Saturnalia have discovered, some cars burn oil. I am preparing to replace the little black things on the top of my single cam engine this week end. Some oil leaks from one of them, but not all that much. The culprit I believe is inside of the engine. As you can tell from my terminology of engine parts, I am not a very handy mechanic. I have very little knowledge or tools to do anything on a car. What is the best way for me to slow oil consumption without doing a valve job or engine soak? I am using about a quart of oil about every tank and a half. Since I am not that handy and lack space and tools, my oil is changed by the evil empire of Jiffy Lube. I can get topped off on oil for free between oil changes. My car runs excellent! It idles at .75 and never is in the red for any reason. I want to drive it till the wheels fall off.

1. What can I do to slow oil consumption?
2. What weight oil should I use?
3. Any other advice?

Commando44
'01 SL1 in loved condition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commando44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commando44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commando44 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Age old problem....oil

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&highlight=MMO

Here's a thread regarding Mystery Marvel Oil that some have had luck with. If you do a search on MMO you'll find even more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Commando44

2001 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&highlight=MMO

Here's a thread regarding Mystery Marvel Oil that some have had luck with. If you do a search on MMO you'll find even more.
So, I just pour MMO onto the spark plugs? After removing the plugs, I put MMO in and let it sit over night. Replace plugs and then go?

Commando44

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Commando44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando44 View Post
So, I just pour MMO onto the spark plugs? After removing the plugs, I put MMO in and let it sit over night. Replace plugs and then go?
Thats pretty much it. Do try to soak up any excess prior to installing the plugs. And you will be producing a good cloud of smoke for a little bit. No guarentee it will work but it has for some. I've done 3 soaks on my 98 with 186k and still go thru a quart every 600 miles. But at 38+ mpg that quart of oil is cheap.

For the price of one oil change at Iffy Lube you could purchase a nice set of tools and do the oil changes yourself. And also a lot of out preventive maintenace.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek View Post
Quote:
Thats pretty much it. Do try to soak up any excess prior to installing the plugs.
NO, romzek, not even close!

There are only approx. 3,792,461 threads on this topic, but not surprisingly, THE definitive procedure is the short, simple one provided by Wolfman, here. You pour the MMO into the CHAMBERS, NOT onto the spark plugs. And there's no "soaking up" the excess. As wolfman describes, you throw a rag across the spark plug holes (granted, easier said than done on an SOHC), and CRANK THE ENGINE to EXPEL the excess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I am betting "those black things" are the donuts that go under the two big ole valve cover hold down bolts. You can get a valve cover gasket kit at autozone for $12... easy enough to change even for a newbie. That kit will include the two rubber donuts and a tube of RTV for the perimeter bead.

If you don't have the torx bit for those VC bolts, a flat blade screwdriver of exactly the right size has worked for me, if I've lived a clean life.

If $12 is too rich for your blood, you can pull the VC bolts, remove the old donuts, clean them off, clean the mating surfaces of the VC and bolts off, and smear RTV ($1/tube at big lots) over everything and reassemble.

Free top offs rock when even cheap oil is like $2/qt. Hope you never buy their premium services... fuel injection flush, air filters etc so you really stick it to 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Asterixx
Asterixx will become famous soon enoughAsterixx will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
1996 SL1

Christ, if I could find a place that offered free top-ups between oil changes it'd actually be cheaper to have them do my oil changes than it is for me to do my own. My SL1 burns about a quart of oil for every 500 km (300 miles), so that'd add up to 10 quarts of oil between changes. I bet it wouldn't be long before the oil change place cut me off...

1996 SL1 5m loaded except sunroof *SOLD*
1997 SL2 5m Loaded including sunroof, fog lights, and console bin.
Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judacati terram

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asterixx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asterixx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asterixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I knew someone who had free top off at a Valvoline quick oil change place. He had a Town Car with bad valve guide seals.

Besides the MMO soak procedure, the How-To Library has a wealth of info for do-it yourself repairs. I have learned a lot there and done some successful repairs with that info.

Auto Zone has a nice repair guide here:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

I am not very knowledgeable regarding terminology and repairs. But, as you are finding, there are a lot of knowledgeable people willing to guide you when needed. Good luck!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
As many of the users here on Saturnalia have discovered, MOST cars burn oil.
Fixed.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95SL1 View Post
Fixed.
How??

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Commando44

2001 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
I am betting "those black things" are the donuts that go under the two big ole valve cover hold down bolts. You can get a valve cover gasket kit at autozone for $12... easy enough to change even for a newbie. That kit will include the two rubber donuts and a tube of RTV for the perimeter bead.

If you don't have the torx bit for those VC bolts, a flat blade screwdriver of exactly the right size has worked for me, if I've lived a clean life.

If $12 is too rich for your blood, you can pull the VC bolts, remove the old donuts, clean them off, clean the mating surfaces of the VC and bolts off, and smear RTV ($1/tube at big lots) over everything and reassemble.

Free top offs rock when even cheap oil is like $2/qt. Hope you never buy their premium services... fuel injection flush, air filters etc so you really stick it to 'em.
I didn't get a chance to change the donuts, I think I have the bit, I will give it a try and see what happens. I just remove the bolt covers and put a new on on? I am really, not that handy. I remove the torque thingy (black donut) there is a ring or gasket underneath it, I put the new ring on gasket on and tighten it back down. Sound about right?

I only get oil changes. Free top offs on oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and wiper fluid.

Commando44

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Since I am not that handy and lack space and tools, my oil is changed by the evil empire of Jiffy Lube.
mine was done in my mother's driveway, which has a concrete barrier on each side, minimizing space. jack it up, remove filter by hand, drain in oil pan. i'd rather see you do it yourself instead of hearing a story later about how JL didnt put the drain cap back on or did something else wrong they are notorious for. and it would be WAY cheaper. i dont trust them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

You may also want to give auto-rx a try to free up the rings.
I tried the MMO soak and seafoam and neither did help free the rings up. 500 miles into using Autorx and my compression came up 10-15 psi. To early to tell if it'll help me with the oil burning issue, it has helped others both and cease engine oil burning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote