SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Happy Finally the proud owner of a REDLINE

:b anana:

I got rid of my Ion 2 about 3 years ago now, It had 165K on it and it was time to part. I have been looking for a Redline for the same amount of time and I have let quite a few slip away. Now I can say I am the proud owner of a 2004 Redline Comp edition, with 57K on it. I had to drive to NJ from Pittsburgh, but it was worth the long drive time. I have wanted a Redline since they came out!! Highly modified, Meth injection, tons of spare and all original parts, 2 extra trannys, 2 sets of wheels with the original tires, hardly a scratch on it, interior is in excellent shape.

Pics to follow

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Finally the proud owner of a REDLINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
:b anana:

I got rid of my Ion 2 about 3 years ago now, It had 165K on it and it was time to part. I have been looking for a Redline for the same amount of time and I have let quite a few slip away. Now I can say I am the proud owner of a 2004 Redline Comp edition, with 57K on it. I had to drive to NJ from Pittsburgh, but it was worth the long drive time. I have wanted a Redline since they came out!! Highly modified, Meth injection, tons of spare and all original parts, 2 extra trannys, 2 sets of wheels with the original tires, hardly a scratch on it, interior is in excellent shape.

Pics to follow
Are you sure it's a 2004? The Competition Package wasn't made available until January 2005. If it's highly modified, the car was probably retro-fitted with the Comp Package equipment. It should have a limited slip differential too. A Redline can be had for a song nowadays, but finding one that is in good shape and/or isn't shoddily modified is more difficult. I'm happy for you!

I'd love to replace my Ion 2 with a Redline, but probably not going to happen anytime soon. My wife and I recently became foster parents and will probably be adopting a 3 and 4 year old later this year. We just bought a minivan (2018 Chrysler Pacifica) this past Thanksgiving, and really like it so far.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 181K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 192K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 31K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Are you sure it's a 2004? The Competition Package wasn't made available until January 2005. If it's highly modified, the car was probably retro-fitted with the Comp Package equipment. It should have a limited slip differential too. A Redline can be had for a song nowadays, but finding one that is in good shape and/or isn't shoddily modified is more difficult. I'm happy for you!

I'd love to replace my Ion 2 with a Redline, but probably not going to happen anytime soon. My wife and I recently became foster parents and will probably be adopting a 3 and 4 year old later this year. We just bought a minivan (2018 Chrysler Pacifica) this past Thanksgiving, and really like it so far.
Correct, It is a retrofitted Comp edition with ladder gauge and swapped LSD, His dad was a GM tech, hence the 2 spare tranny's. It has an aluminum flywheel, stage 2 clutch, skip shift set up.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Correct, It is a retrofitted Comp edition with ladder gauge and swapped LSD, His dad was a GM tech, hence the 2 spare tranny's. It has an aluminum flywheel, stage 2 clutch, skip shift set up.
What purpose does the skip shift set up serve? Does the factory setup not let you skip gears when you shift (i.e 1-3, 1-4, etc.)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
What purpose does the skip shift set up serve? Does the factory setup not let you skip gears when you shift (i.e 1-3, 1-4, etc.)?
I haven't had much experience with it but basically it momentarily cuts the ignition so you can downshift (or upshift i believe) without having to push the clutch pedal or revving the engine to match RPM's, I tried it a few times on my ride home and it basically mimics an automatic tranny. It is a pretty slick set up.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Damn, I don't remember how to edit on here! correction, i still did blip the throttle in between downshifting, but not sure if you have to, may depend on several factors like speed, how many gears skipping....

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Congratulations!

I now have 109,000 miles on mine, and I've never regretted a day of owning it, except maybe the fact that heavy fog is enough to stain the Recaros.

Sounds like you got a good one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Congratulations!

I now have 109,000 miles on mine, and I've never regretted a day of owning it, except maybe the fact that heavy fog is enough to stain the Recaros.

Sounds like you got a good one.
Thanks!

You know, If you would have just sold me yours 8 years ago like I asked you........ kidding!

I'm super psyched for this car, I've got a lot to learn though as I've never owned a S.C car, especially with the mods that are on it.

Still trying to download pics!

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Thanks!

You know, If you would have just sold me yours 8 years ago like I asked you........ kidding!

I'm super psyched for this car, I've got a lot to learn though as I've never owned a S.C car, especially with the mods that are on it.

Still trying to download pics!

files are too big, this is the only one I can get to load now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3387.jpg (85.2 KB, 7 views)

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Man, this makes me miss having my Redline on the road! My modded sedan is nice but I miss that immense shove from the LSJ...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

RLs really are few and far between these days. On my road trip from Daytona Beach to Door County, WI last summer, I saw a total of 2 (4000 miles round trip and getting around while there), and that is 2 more than I saw the last time I had made that trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ruley,

the skip system is a WOT box, you can leave your foot planted on the gas pedal and shift like it's an automatic, it cuts ignition long enough for the syncros to line up. I watched several videos on YouTube, search WOT box.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ruley,

the skip system is a WOT box, you can leave your foot planted on the gas pedal and shift like it's an automatic, it cuts ignition long enough for the syncros to line up. I watched several videos on YouTube, search WOT box.

Ok, so I'm new to this photo bucket, how the hell do you get any pics to upload on this site anymore, I guess the last time I uploaded a pic on here, I had a smaller phone so the pics weren't as much file space lol

HELP

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I text photos to myself to get them smaller file size on my phone before trying to upload since texting pics compresses them automatically. Looks like fun tunnel to romp on the gas and let the car sing!

2004 Saturn Ion CAI, Aftermarket Head and Taillights, ZZP 2.5" Cat and Custom 2.5" Complete Exhaust
2000 F150 Off-Road 3" Duals and K&N Intake SCT Livewire Tuner
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #15
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ruley,

OK, so it sounds like it's pretty much like the No-Lift Shift feature on the HHR SS (LNF/2.0L turbo). I figured that's what it was, but the term "skip shift" doesn't correctly describe what it does IMO.

Quote:
Ok, so I'm new to this photo bucket, how the hell do you get any pics to upload on this site anymore, I guess the last time I uploaded a pic on here, I had a smaller phone so the pics weren't as much file space lol

HELP
I have this tool installed on my PC. It's really simple and works well. If you have a Mac, I can't help you.

https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

No lift shift is a pretty nice feature; it was added to the LNF SS to keep the turbo spooled as you change gears, and would help the IRL a similar amount (plus the SC scream would never stop), though I think that the 2-3 shift would still be a little long due to shifter design

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote