SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Turkey_Sangwich
Turkey_Sangwich is on a distinguished road

Default Loss of power at 4500rpm / Various fault codes

Hey there everyone.

I've had my 08 Astra for just about a year now with no issues until about a month ago and was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.

Issues began with an intermittent ABS light coming on for seconds at a time. Over time it started showing showing up more frequently, caused the odometer to stop working along with the fuel economy tracking in the center screen. After that, a check engine light, and now the brake warning light which took out the speedometer as well. Car pulls codes P1793, C1221, both for the LF wheel speed sensor, and U0122 for the Stability control.

I had ordered a hub assembly and sensor, while waiting for that to arrive issues cropped up with a loss of power. Anything over 4500rpm and it refuses to accelerate. The car also feels extremely jerky at low RPMs. Had the codes read today and found nothing out of the ordinary.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Wanted to start here before I go hunting for mechanics. Thanks!
Turkey_Sangwich is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Loss of power at 4500rpm / Various fault codes

Sounds dangerous so you need to get this sorted ASAP for health and safety reasons. Get a pro to sort this out ASAP.

Nobody can diagnose from a computer but a few ideas to noodle on in the meantime:

- All those codes simply could be a low voltage problem causing issues in seemingly random places. Get your battery and alternator tested at nearby auto parts store.

- At home you can do voltage drop tests under load. Clean the battery terminals and clamps. Then clean the key positive contacts (e.g. at alternator, starter, to fuse box, etc.) Then clean key grounds (e.g. at alternator, starter, engine block, various body grounds. I outlined some of the body grounds in a recent post so search for that; there are several under the battery box and under the fuse panel. Do another voltage drop test under load.

- For loss of power another issue might be fact the spark plugs need to be changed very frequently on these cars, like every 25k miles, or they kill the coil packs. If your plugs have not been changed frequently you will need new plugs and possibly a new coilpack.

- I suppose you could have some issue in fuel delivery but that seems to be less common of an issue on the Astra.

EDIT - Also hub sensors are quite reliable on Astra so I would not just go swapping that part first.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Also, ABS/traction sensors generally failing together may be related to bad sensor, bad/dirty connector, broken wire (which may be internal and intermittent), bad computer, low voltage. But you probably know that.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Turkey_Sangwich

Thankfully this issue has long since been resolved and my car is back to running excellently. Wanted to make a follow-up post as while I researching the european forums, this seems to be a common issue that throws up a lot of false positives. If you do get a wheel speed sensor error as I did above, it's worth looking into the ABS control module

The part that failed was the ABS control module and modulator valve, which is located underneath the coolant reservoir on the driver side of the engine bay. There are 2 variations, one for the FX3 equipped cars (93196129) and a smaller module for those without (93196127). I can also confirm that these are interchangeable with some cutting of the plastic mounting bracket since I had mistakenly bought a module for an FX3 car despite not having one.

After installing the module and clearing the codes, I have not had any other faults. The tach now functions again as does the car's ability to rev freely to redline.

If anyone runs into this fault, I would strongly suggest not going to the dealership as I was quoted $2200 compared to the $100 I paid for a good used part. Not only this, the GM dealer I went to had no reference material on the astra at all and had to spend a few extra days with the car researching before they could even diagnose it in the first place.

Hopefully this helps anyone dealing with a similar issue.

I've linked some photos below with the location in the engine bay and of the parts themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (97.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (226.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.jpg (196.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0390.jpg (157.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.jpg (208.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Awesome post Turkey.

How difficult was the replacement? How long did it take? Did you need a Tech2 to reset anything or did codes resolve on their own?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Turkey_Sangwich

I would say you could have the whole process done within two hours, brake bleed included, if you had all the tools and knew where to look. When I had done it, it took a fair bit longer since I had gone in pretty much blind and had to stop to buy things I didn't have, namely a star bit socket set for a lot of the larger torx fasteners that are used to hold the cradle in. Other than this, you just need a line wrench for the brake lines, some basic extensions and metric wrenches and a brake bleeder if you have one.

There are some screws that are fairly challenging to reach without help, namely one underneath the plastic cradle that you have to reach by going under the car and fitting a very long extension through the body of the car. It's difficult to get proper lighting since most of the suspension components block sight to this and there's hardly any clearance. With 2 people though, it's much more doable.

The 6 brake lines that are routed into the module can also be a bit tricky as you do have the bend them out of the way to remove and replace the module/cradle. They can also get stuck pretty good if your car is from a state that gets salt in the winters like mine, so patience will go a long way in not stripping them.

Other than these two problem areas, the rest is very easy. The coolant reservoir just lifts away providing great access to the module from the top. the module and cradle are held in with around 5 screws in total with most in easy to reach places.

As for the codes, I didn't need a tech 2. I think the only thing I had done at the time was just to take the car to a parts store and have them read/clear the codes with a generic scan tool. At the time the only codes I was getting after the replacement was something along the lines of a yaw or pitch sensor error, which didn't give a light on the dash. I can only imagine that it was related to using the module for the cars with the FX3 option despite not having it.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #7
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

Did you replace the LF hub bearing prior to the ABS Control Module? Obviously that wasn't the main issue, but was wondering how difficult was that job? And what differences did it make?
08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
Turkey_Sangwich

I didn't end up replacing the hub unfortunately. Still have all the parts if I ever wanted to but didn't feel the need since I knew it was a non-issue. If you are looking for a guide, I know there are a few videos out there on youtube if you do a basic search, so long as you search for Opel or Vauxhall.