SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
droveavolvoonce
droveavolvoonce is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2
Default Dead battery after short period with engine off - what's going on?

After work yesterday, I decided to sit in the driveway listening to the radio. My headlights were on(yeah I should have turned them off), and the car was not running. When I went to exit the car no more than 30 minutes later, I noticed my radio headunit wasn't displaying the time - and that usually means bad things. I tried to start the car, and failed to get more than the usual 'click click' I associate with a dead battery.

Fortunately, I was at home so I bagged up the trickle charger to keep it out of the rain and connected the car for a couple of hours - after which it started up fine.

I've had this sort of thing happen several times before - generally I'll be working on the car or something with the radio on and the engine off. It seems to take a very short period of time for the battery to drain to the point where the car won't start.

Is something strange going on here? I last had the car in with my mechanic a couple of weeks ago, and he said both the alternator and battery look fine!

What's up with this?

Best,
daVo

1995 SC2 Plum 4-Disc 5SPD $1495 2.17.10 (111K to present)
1993 SC2 Silver 4-Disc Auto $1500 8.2007 to 2.2010 (195K-ish JY R.I.P. 5/7/10)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to droveavolvoonce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help droveavolvoonce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
droveavolvoonce is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Dead battery after short period with engine off - what's going on?

1-Leaving the ignition ON will drain the battery quicker as the entire EFI system is running. Leaving the ignition switch in the ACC(essory) position shouldn't since this supplies power to the HVAC blower, power windows, radio and defrost grid (if one exists). Presuming everything is off but the radio shouldn't drain the battery unless power is being drained from one of the sources listed.

2-How old is the battery? Older than 4yrs makes this a sketchy battery when using the radio for several hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

Probably a dying battery. Garage should have a machine to measure capacity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

From here I can see that the battery looks fine as well. If I were to test it i suspect that it would fail.

Di your mechanic actually load test the battery. If they did and it passed then the headlamps on for 1/2 an hour or so plus radio etc is what did you in.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Takes ~2hrs for my stereo & 5ch amp at moderate levels to drain the battery. Takes ~30min for the lights to do the same.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
spud42
spud42 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1995 SL1

its very limited in how many Excessive deep discharges it can handle
any 12-volt lead-acid battery discharged below 10.5 volts can damage the battery
trickle charge more then a couple hours more like 1/2 a day or so
I wouldn't bag it put it under the hood and close it
or rest the hood on something so its almost closed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spud42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spud42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spud42 is offline   Reply With Quote