SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 10:18 PM   #1
klasvoss
klasvoss is on a distinguished road

Default Custom speaker kickpanels?

I want to put a 3-way component set(6.5",4",1")in my 2001 SL2.I ckecked with
Q-forms and they don't make them for the Saturns and don't plan on it in the
future.They have a universal kit,that is about it.Does
anyone have a 3-way set up in their Saturn and any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to klasvoss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help klasvoss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2000, 10:51 AM   #2
KGinATL
KGinATL is on a distinguished road

just wondering, but this is probably not wat you want to do,
have you thought about getting 3 way speakers? pioneer has some that are really good.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Car_2000/ts-a1665.htm
just a suggestion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KGinATL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KGinATL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2000, 11:16 AM   #3
Fat Whacker
Fat Whacker is on a distinguished road

Going with the 3 way set is a great idea. You are correct that q-logic does not make a set for the Saturns. Depending how much you wat to spend, go to your local car audio shop and ask for some custom kick panels. Put the 6" in the door, the 4" in the kick as well as the tweeter. with the 4" being nice and small, your kick panel will be nice and small as well. They should only run you about 200.00 US. Personaly I build my own kicks and you can check them out at www.damnloud.com. Go to installs and mine is the white Saturn. If you have anyother questions, let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fat Whacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fat Whacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2000, 04:29 PM   #4
klasvoss

I have the speakers already,they are MB Quarts.I bought them 3 years ago and are still
new in the boxes.I bought a 6.5" and 1"tweet component set,then bought the 4" mids by
themselves and a set of 3-way competition crossovers.I haven't had anything decent til
now to put them in.Those custom kick panels turned out nice.Do you know what kind of air
space is required to get proper sound?I was thinking about just going with the q-logic
universal kit and sticking them down there.They run for $109 at www.sounddomain.com.Any
disadvantages to doing that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help klasvoss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2000, 05:11 PM   #5
Fat Whacker

Nice choice in drivers. As far as speaker air volume, they would only need like .1 of a cube. By just haveing them behind the kickpanel, that will be enough space. As far as the doors go, they will be fine. As far as disadvantages go, well depends on what you want. Q-forms will give you somewhat of a soundstage and imaging. Custom kicks will provide more accurate imageing. If you are just using them for everyday listening, no disadvantage at all. If you like to look of the Q-forms, then by all means go for it, IMO custom kicks will give a better contour to your car and look a bit nicer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fat Whacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2000, 08:36 PM   #6
klasvoss

What kind of materials would I need to make my own kickpanels?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2000, 10:53 AM   #7
Fat Whacker

Well here is some stuff you would need:
short strand fiberglass
mdf
duct tape
palm sander
plexiglass (if you want to go fancy)

If you take a look at the install part of the front end of my car (www.damnloud.com) there is pretty much a step by step photo log to help you out. If you want to try to do them youself, I would recomend to make somthing without a removable gril. They would be much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2000, 04:03 PM   #8
klasvoss

What is mdf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2000, 11:20 AM   #9
Diggs
Diggs is on a distinguished road

mdf = medium density fiber board

It's a much refined version of the old press board, which was a variation on plywood. MDF doesn't have voids like inexpensive plywood. It is made from very much compressed saw dust and glue (and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting right now).

Diggs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diggs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diggs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2000, 10:54 AM   #10
Fat Whacker

Sorry should have been more clear on that. To make your baffles you would need 1/2" mdf. After you have your baffle, tape off the kick pannel area with some duct tape. Position your baffle and sercure it with duct tape. ONce that is completed, start laying down fiberglass. Some like to make there kicks out of cloth and resin but I prefer making them out of short strand fiberglass cus its easier to mould. ONce you have the desired shape, start sanding till you have a completely smoth surface. This may require sanding and replacing fiberglass many times to get the correct texture. After it is all said and done, wrap them in some vinyl and screw them to the floor and your done. Sounds easy hey, but it does take a lot of time and patients to get the final look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2000, 09:34 PM   #11
klasvoss

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread