SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
microsat
microsat is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 saturn sl2 too hot

Hi there,
when running for one hour, my 2002 sautrn sl2 became very hot.
Is it normal?

How to check if the cooling systems are normal or not?

This morning the battery indicator and oil pressure indicator were always red.
Engine couldn't. It said 'engine service soon'.

Without battery can I open the hood? What's wrong with my car?

Thank you very much.

Van

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to microsat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help microsat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
microsat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: 2002 saturn sl2 too hot

I don't quite understand.Are you saying the car is running with the battery, oil pressure, and 'engine service soon' lights on ?

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

If the temp gauge is not in the red, it is not overheating (unless your ECTS is bad). It routinely gets to about 3/4 before the electric raditor fan comes on. Innormal driving (speess averaging above ~25 mph) the temp gauge should settle in between 1/4 and 1/2 scale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
corn_dog
corn_dog is on a distinguished road

Have you checked your oil? Low oil would account for the hot engine and low oil pressure. And yes you can open your hood if the battery is low or dead. Check your battery connection for loose bolts or corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to corn_dog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help corn_dog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
corn_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I highly suggest you pay somebody to look at your car before you destroy it.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
I highly suggest you pay somebody to look at your car before you destroy it.
Do you really think it isn't too late???

How far did you drive with the oil light on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
If the temp gauge is not in the red, it is not overheating (unless your ECTS is bad). It routinely gets to about 3/4 before the electric raditor fan comes on. Innormal driving (speess averaging above ~25 mph) the temp gauge should settle in between 1/4 and 1/2 scale.
This is kinda like if you are not using too much oil it is normal too. It is not normal for your car to very 30 to 40 degrees in engine temperature when warmed up. This is a faulty design and bad logic that as long as it is not in the red and spraying all over the ground it is okay (like "normal oil usage) I have never seen as many hot complaints on other brands as a Saturn. And the real funny part about this that say it is ok to get to 220 or 230 regularly and that if you have a automatic it is cooled by coolant too and it is being slow baked as well. A properly designed cooling system cools engine and keep temperature fairly constant and of all the cars i have owned in nearly 40 years my daughters Saturn is the only one that like to run hot in traffic on a hot day if A/C in not on (which force fan on) GM could have fixed this long ago but choose not to. There are after market solutions though.

Last edited by 97coupe; 04-25-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Typo's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsat View Post
Hi there,
when running for one hour, my 2002 sautrn sl2 became very hot.
Is it normal?

How to check if the cooling systems are normal or not?
May I suggest you check out this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97610

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsat
This morning the battery indicator and oil pressure indicator were always red.
Engine couldn't. It said 'engine service soon'.

Without battery can I open the hood? What's wrong with my car?

Thank you very much.

Van
First off before you even think about the overheating, that RED OIL LIGHT, is RED for a reason. It is meant to get your IMMEDIATE attention. When it comes on, you should stop and shut off the engine and make sure you have ANY oil. These cars are known to consume a bit of oil so you should check it often.

Once that is verified I am going to venture you have an alternator problem or a possible bad connection preventing the battery from being charged. As the battery voltage falls, being a car that almost all electronic, funny things can start to happen if the battery voltage gets low.

And yes, the hood will open with a dead battery. There is no electronic lock/latch for the hood as there is for the trunk.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #9
microsat
microsat is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Just now I asked my friend to jump start my car but he failed.
the oil pressure is normal.

How to know if the battery connection is good? My time clock is running good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
May I suggest you check out this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97610

First off before you even think about the overheating, that RED OIL LIGHT, is RED for a reason. It is meant to get your IMMEDIATE attention. When it comes on, you should stop and shut off the engine and make sure you have ANY oil. These cars are known to consume a bit of oil so you should check it often.

Once that is verified I am going to venture you have an alternator problem or a possible bad connection preventing the battery from being charged. As the battery voltage falls, being a car that almost all electronic, funny things can start to happen if the battery voltage gets low.

And yes, the hood will open with a dead battery. There is no electronic lock/latch for the hood as there is for the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to microsat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help microsat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
microsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:

You have to physically check the connection. Remove the cables from the battery. Do the NEGATIVE, (black) one FIRST. After they are off, look at the points of contact and inspect for corrosion. If there is any present, use a small wire brush or battery terminal brush (both available at most auto parts stores) and clean them real good. You can make a solution of baking soda and water, (usually put a couple of tablespoons per cup of water) and dip the battery cable terminals in it. It will neutralize any acid. I don't reccomend putting any soda on any part of the battery itself. If it gets in the battery, it can ruin it.

Put the cables back on the battery very snug, don't get heavy handed, you can break the battery terminal. Going back on, put the POSITIVE (red) one ON FIRST. Once on, get either some battery terminal protectant spran (again vailable at the parts store) OR you can generously spread some Vaseline petrolium jelly on the terminals. This helps block out moisture and air to help reduce corrosion.

Just because the clock is working doesn't mean the terminals aren't corroded or loose. The clock draws VERY LITTLE current and as long as there is ANY continuity between the battery and the cables, there will be enough to run the clock and some other things. But things like the starter and being charged by the alternator, the high resistance offered by being either corroded or loose will interfere with that. You also need to check the connection at the starter.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:

So, the engine wouldn't start, how did you test the oil pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
Do you really think it isn't too late???
I think this car never seen the hands of a mechanic...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote