SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road

Default Reliability Concerns - fact or fiction

Hi Folks,

I have been reading threads from this site for several years and this is my first posting. I do not own a Saturn, but I have always wanted to own a Vue, so reading about your experiences has been kind of fun... in a weird way. I am now at the point where I can seriously consider purchasing a new vehicle, and I am still reluctant to purchase a Vue because of reliability concerns.

Compared with other smaller SUV's (Rav4 and Forester), do you believe that the Vue is a better buy? Not just in terms of dollars spent today, but in overall ownership and satisfaction, i.e. time in for repairs, build quality, materials, resale, etc...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bald Eagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bald Eagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Reliability Concerns - fact or fiction

I personally think that any new VUE will be just about as reliable as the competitors. Most of the VUE problem areas have been addressed for recent model years.

If you want a used one I think 2004+ (non-VTi) VUEs are very reliable.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
Hi Folks,

I have been reading threads from this site for several years and this is my first posting. I do not own a Saturn, but I have always wanted to own a Vue, so reading about your experiences has been kind of fun... in a weird way. I am now at the point where I can seriously consider purchasing a new vehicle, and I am still reluctant to purchase a Vue because of reliability concerns.

Compared with other smaller SUV's (Rav4 and Forester), do you believe that the Vue is a better buy? Not just in terms of dollars spent today, but in overall ownership and satisfaction, i.e. time in for repairs, build quality, materials, resale, etc...
I love my '04 V6. In 21K miles, the only issues besides regular service was a rear wheel bearing, strut mount and a faulty BCM, all replaced under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Just stay away from the VTi and you shouldn't have major issues. There are a few nagging quality issues, but nothing that's major IMO.

The imports own Saturn when it comes to build quality, materials, and resale. The 2006 VUE has a nicer interior, but before that (including my 03) you can tell they cheaped out on just about everything. Resale also sucks compared to a Honda or Yota, but that's why I bought mine used.

I'm very happy with my car, but I'm under no delusions of it being the best out there in its class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Other than the Vti drivetrain I feel the Vue is a better "buy"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Mattytee
Mattytee is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

The '06 is a beautiful machine. I hadn't really considered one in past years because they never really impressed me that much. When I first saw the '06 last summer I fell in love.

I recommend the V6 if it's in your budget.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mattytee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mattytee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mattytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

It really a simple matter of personal observation...when is the last time YOU saw one sitting on the side of the road or being towed behind a wrecker?

It also becomes a matter of what "reliability" means to you. The "annoying noise" and "squeak and rattle" crowd will have more "problems" with ANY vehicle made by ANY manufacturer than those with more realistic expectations will.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
DWS
DWS is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

the wife's '05 has been great.......bottom line, ANY vehicle could be a PITA, as I've seen issues with BMW's, Mercedes, you name it

'05 Vue-wife's
'03 Z06-my toy
'99 S-10 4x4-the beater

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DWS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DWS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

If you cant stand looking at the thing I dont care how reliable the thing is why would you want to own it. The Hyundai Santa fe has a great warranty and a good track record,but I would of rather paid and extra $1200.00 for my warranty than have to look at that Hyundai puss everyday.Same with Rav 4 and CRV.I know I would rip that silly spare tire off the rear door.Its just plain ugly.The VUE will not leave you stranded on some highway someplace,all the issues of older models have been for the most part addressed. IMO its the biggest, prettiest mini SUV out there.Its still plastic so in a few years you wont have to have it painted because of all the dents and chips that you have accumilated from follow drivers and their children at the shopping malls.Take the plung,you will be glad you did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

2004 V6 AWD (Mine): 51,000 miles and happy. My only issues have been brakes. I am about to change my pads and rotors for the second time. I do tow and take it through mud quite a bit though. It is also my first automatic...so it may be just me. My Vue is treated like a truck.

2003 V6 AWD (Girlfriend): 71,000 miles and happy. Nothing but oil and filter changes. She is on her second set of tires. Everything else is original. Though her rear windshield whiper motor may be on its way out. Her Vue is treated like a car.

Both Vues squeak and moan ocasionaly. Nothing too bad though.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
kfraney
kfraney is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The "annoying noise" and "squeak and rattle" crowd will have more "problems" with ANY vehicle made by ANY manufacturer than those with more realistic expectations will.
That's bull****. I love my VUE, but no other $20K new car squeaks, rattles & and clunks like my VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfraney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfraney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kfraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Folks,

My last car was a Subaru Forester. While the Vue has some advantages (larger interior, back windows go all the way down, better price, more features) the Subie had a tighter feel to it and I had less small annoying problems (sway bars, RDM, brakes, broken glove box, washer nozzles, VTi worries). So while I like my Vue, the little problems have been annoying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
dulino
Advanced Member
dulino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
My last car was a Subaru Forester. While the Vue has some advantages (larger interior, back windows go all the way down, better price, more features) the Subie had a tighter feel to it and I had less small annoying problems (sway bars, RDM, brakes, broken glove box, washer nozzles, VTi worries). So while I like my Vue, the little problems have been annoying.
I agree. It is not that VUE is unreliable, it is annoying.

I would stay away from it. In 2008 when my lease is up I am getting either a Subaru Outback or a RAV4. I am tired of little irritating squeaks, rattles and vibrations. I am sure 2008 VUE will be impeccable but I feel like I need to teach GM a lesson.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango
I love my '04 V6. In 21K miles, the only issues besides regular service was a rear wheel bearing, strut mount and a faulty BCM, all replaced under warranty.
That's a lot of problems. A faulty BCM is the equivalent of say, a warped cylinder head if you had owned the car back in the 70s.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Web Raven
Web Raven is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

My first Vue which was an '03 AWD V6 had every "known" Vue problem under the sun and then some (wiper nozzles, noisy gear in steering column, warped rotors, faulty throttle body, etc.), but it did not discourage me from trading it in for an '06 AWD V6 last August.

Nearly 8 months and just over 11,000 miles, I haven't had one problem with my '06. I'll fess up that it creaks a bit now and then, but I'm not one to be bothered by that. I love the look and style of my Vue inside and out, the gas mileage may not be spectacular, but it's respectable, the handling is great, it has power, it's been very reliable, and I'm sure I could go on and on.

The only other SUV I would consider purchasing, had I not gotten a Vue, would have been the Volkswagen Touareg, however as it's more than twice the price of my Vue and certainly out of my current budget, I'm a proud Vue owner instead.

So, in short, buy a Vue now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Web Raven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Web Raven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Web Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #16
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

We've had our 05' V6AWD Vue for 8 months and has a 'whopping' 6k miles and it runs tip top. I just loaded it with approx. 60 2x4's - 84" long. Put the seats down and a blanket over the seats. I couldn't close the gate because my seat was set to far back but it still drove great. I'm using the "U" in my SUV.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ollie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ollie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #17
Miso
Miso is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

My 2004 VUE, 5 speed 4 cyl with 12,000 miles is a very nice vehicle.
It is reliable, looks great, runs great and I am happy with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Miso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Miso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Miso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #18
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulino
I agree. It is not that VUE is unreliable, it is annoying.

I would stay away from it. In 2008 when my lease is up I am getting either a Subaru Outback or a RAV4. I am tired of little irritating squeaks, rattles and vibrations. I am sure 2008 VUE will be impeccable but I feel like I need to teach GM a lesson.
yeah, I'm sure they'll be hurt when you leave...
anyway, my '04 VUE doesn't rattle (unless you count all my wife's craft show stuff in the back), and after 22K miles, NO issues at all. the the b'stones still have good tread on 'em. I just changed the oil yesterday and after 4K since the last change (yes, I know, late but we were busy), it came out golden still. the doors close with a good solid euro 'thunk', it's fun to drive and good on gas. I do drive it hard at times, too. it's little ECOTEC is very familiar w/ it's redline. great little car, IMO.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
danemobile
danemobile is on a distinguished road

For the price the VUE is an adequate vehicle.
Having bought mine new but at a $4500 discount. I’m reasonably happy with it.

The postings on wheel bearing and rotor warping together with my own experience of passenger side front end clunks would probably influence me not to buy another. I don’t think a vehicle which has been in production for a few years should still have niggling problems. They should be fixed in the first year or two of production. As I usually only buy a new car every 10 years this probably won’t keep any GM executives up at night.

However my wife is in the market for a small SUV and is going for the V6 269HP RAV4 at less than $24,000 according to the web site, hopefully after waiting for the 2nd year of production for the new design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danemobile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danemobile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
That's a lot of problems. A faulty BCM is the equivalent of say, a warped cylinder head if you had owned the car back in the 70s.
Nah, was really not an issue. The dome light along with the power locks would go off from time to time while driving. And what I mean from time to time was two or three times in total over six months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote