SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the SKY worth building?
Yes, I love everything. 9 18.37%
I'd like to see some changes, but yes, I like the idea. 27 55.10%
No. I'm simply not interested. 1 2.04%
NO WAY! I don't like the SKY, the stupid name, the center mounted instruments, or the goofy gaping mouth styling. 1 2.04%
Why Bother? Its just another tease. 1 2.04%
No, build a first class ION Coupe first. Then we'll talk. 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 06:26 PM   #21
satspeedster

Dude...I personally like the new CGI picture of the SKY....That black square...perfect location for ram-air, or a TRUE cold air intake...so what if its kinda ugly...think of the benifits... its located right where the air is perfect for the engine...add a turbo...maybe an optional hardop or coupe version ala Solstice and that'd be a sweet car...ya know they will sell well...Saturn will market this thing like nothing else before because its such a big gamble for them, I remember when I bought my coupe in 99, Saturn was very OPPOSED to building a convertable because of safety issues...i.e. rollover accidents...they have embodied many different styling aspects in the new SKY design that are reminescent of the older sports coupes of the past...nice rounded lines, functionability, and it does look fast...we can deal with a little sqare hole in the hood and an instrument panel in the middle...I mean I personally don't look at the panel that much, and plus it reminds me of the center mounted panel in older cars...for instance, I have a 48 willys jeep truck...the insruments are mounted in the middle, no problem seeing them at all...in fact a lot of people who ride in it see this as a uniqe feature...yea it may be cost saving...but remember that saturn doesn't make right hand drives anymore...sure the platform is shared with european cars, but still its an intersting idea that we may all grow to love...looking at other industries for example...most if not all aircraft have instruments centrally located, sure there are a lot more instruments, but at the same time, its not necessarily a bad thing. Anyway, I'm just ranting...go Saturn, finally something different from a "different" company. I'd drive this sucker any day.

-Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satspeedster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satspeedster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2002, 07:39 PM   #22
saturnotaku
saturnotaku is on a distinguished road

Saturn should focus its time and energy into making the Ion legitimate contender in the small car market. Update what needs to be updated first, then we can talk about going a little wild and crazy. I would still like to see the Sky, but not right now.

BTW, center mounted instrument cluster = stupid. I hate it on the Echo and I hate it even more on the Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnotaku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnotaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:00 PM   #23
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Thanks satspeedster for putting a different perspective on the black square. When I first saw the picture I saw it only as a design feature and came to the same conclusion as PG; ugly,ugly,ugly.
When I looked at the picture again visualizing the square as some sort of an open air intake it at least convinced me to give it a chance in more pictures or hopefully in real life, before I come to a final decision. If it is an air intake however the picture makes the logo appear as if it is covering a good deal of what should be the open area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:13 PM   #24
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

Is it just me, or did the new SKY photos just dissappear from that website?? I smell conspiracy.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:39 PM   #25
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Guys ... search your IE caches. They images have been pulled :-/

We cant let these babies get away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:50 PM   #26
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wka2002013069674_pv.jpg (32.4 KB, 27 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2002, 02:57 AM   #27
Plastic Gravity

At least I know I won't be missing anything in Chicago. Saturn is lost, and clearly off my list of cars I will be trying out to replace my coupe. I'm truly saddened by todays revelations. The new L is one of the ugliest designs I have ever seen. The SKY still hasn't gotten it right, and the grill and the Interior, specifically the instruments, are easily the biggest problems of this car.

What really worries me about the SKY, is that it shows Saturn is NOT listening to its customers. Very few people can tolerate the centermount instruments, and even fewer want them...and that grill...Saturns DO NOT HAVE GRILLS ABOVE THE BUMPER(save the VUE, which is a truck).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-01-2002, 08:38 AM   #28
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
and that grill...Saturns DO NOT HAVE GRILLS ABOVE THE BUMPER(save the VUE, which is a truck).
You are so right. Although it is obvious what it is on the picture posted on Charlie's site this morning, at first it didn't even occur to me that the black square visible on the original picture posted here yesterday was a grill. The clean lines of the traditional Saturn front end and hood were too ingrained in my mind for me to recognise the grill for what it was. After also seeing the new L pictures I guess it is safe to say that Saturns will have grills from 2003 onward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 PM   #29
satspeedster

Ah...the joy of Photoshop

-Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02skypreview01nosquare.jpg (25.4 KB, 45 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satspeedster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satspeedster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-01-2002, 03:43 PM   #30
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
The new L is one of the ugliest designs I have ever seen.
You have to be kidding... I could see how you might not like it a lot, but one of the ugliest designs you have ever seen? Come on, that think looks great The interior is very nice too...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #31
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by satspeedster
Ah...the joy of Photoshop

-Chris

Now doesn't that look 3000% better? (no that's not a typo)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #32
paramour
paramour is on a distinguished road

Try this: scroll up to Gravity's pic of the SKY, and put your pinky finger over that stupid grille, and see how much better it looks!
They have to change that for sure.

LED or neon taillamps ares something that I could get used to: they are brighter, and are "on" much faster than a normal light bulb, so people behind can react faster. A win-win idea.

To me, the lamps on the SKY look Nothing like an Oldsmobile; in fact very similar IMO to the first gen Saturn cars (91-95).

As for center-mounted instruments, I'd rather not see them on a Saturn. On the Mini, the look is retro in keeping with the old model, and no review that I've read has anything bad to say about them,,, if you order the navigation system, the speedo moves in front of the driver.

On a Saturn, it will be viewed as just a gimmick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paramour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paramour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:27 PM   #33
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I wonder if this is similar to the translucent top listed under the original SKY specifications?

This is the Buick Centurion concept.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wka2002022857951_pv.jpg (29.9 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread