SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 01:07 AM   #1
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Default GM's convertible

Have you notice GM's been on a convertible craze lately? I'm checking out some of the videos from the Detroit Autoshow and noticed quite an unusual amount of convertibles in GM's concepts.

Pontiac Solstice
Chevy SSR
Chevy Bel Air
Cadillac XLR <--btw, extraordinary beautiful car :o:
Buick Bangle
and then, of course, the yet to be seen Saturn SKY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2002, 01:33 AM   #2
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: GM's convertible

Quote:
Originally posted by DBLW1
Have you notice GM's been on a convertible craze lately? I'm checking out some of the videos from the Detroit Autoshow and noticed quite an unusual amount of convertibles in GM's concepts.

Pontiac Solstice
Chevy SSR
Chevy Bel Air
Cadillac XLR <--btw, extraordinary beautiful car :o:
Buick Bangle
and then, of course, the yet to be seen Saturn SKY
I assume you mean the Bengal, and that's already been canned. That had the same layout as the SKY, so it would appear that the SKY really is falling.

The Caddie is interesting, its really a Corvette underneath, so expect some wild performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-26-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
MikeT
MikeT is on a distinguished road

Rather than wasting their time with these concept roadsters, I'd love to see GM introduce a retro Corvette, similar to what Ford has done with the T-Bird. The 1956-57 Vette had such a beautiful design that GM is crazy not to try to capitalize on it. Just today, I noticed that In-N-Out Burger in California is selling T-Shirts with a red '56-'57 Vette on the back. And a few weeks ago, I saw an ad for a '57 Vette selling for $49,000. Call me crazy, but if buyers love the look of these cars and sellers are getting big money for these cars, why doesn't GM get in on the act? They own the designs, for crying out loud. If GM made a Vette that looked like the '57 Vette but had modern braking, safety systems and other popular amenities, they'd sell 'em as fast as they could make 'em. Of course, GM would never do it. It makes too much sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeT
Rather than wasting their time with these concept roadsters, I'd love to see GM introduce a retro Corvette, similar to what Ford has done with the T-Bird. The 1956-57 Vette had such a beautiful design that GM is crazy not to try to capitalize on it. Just today, I noticed that In-N-Out Burger in California is selling T-Shirts with a red '56-'57 Vette on the back. And a few weeks ago, I saw an ad for a '57 Vette selling for $49,000. Call me crazy, but if buyers love the look of these cars and sellers are getting big money for these cars, why doesn't GM get in on the act? They own the designs, for crying out loud. If GM made a Vette that looked like the '57 Vette but had modern braking, safety systems and other popular amenities, they'd sell 'em as fast as they could make 'em. Of course, GM would never do it. It makes too much sense.
Hmm...how about this?

Chevy passed on the idea, but the company that developed the prototype is going to build them themselves. Its a C5 underneath. I don't care for the tail, and I don't like how obvious the window frame is clearly a C5... but lets see how they sell, eh?

Reemand for the old cars-

Yes, but how many of them are there to sell? Its true that demand drives up prices, but the small number of these cars that are available and the nostaligia has an even bigger role. 49K? Big deal, the Z06 sells for that now.

As far as capitalizing on the nostalgia, just wait. The SSR is a 50's custom pickup throwback.

The big problem I have with going "old" is just that, its OLD. Despite the interest of aging, wealthy baby boomers, cars like that, the PT, the new TBird, etc don't sell well with younger buyers. If they can even afford this stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

Hmm...how about this?

Now who is going to clean the puke off of my keyboard?? That has to be one of the ugliest pieces of fecal matter that I've seen. And to do that to a C5 is a cardinal sin.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

As far as capitalizing on the nostalgia, just wait. The SSR is a 50's custom pickup throwback.
And that thing is going to haul tail too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

If that makes you hurl, I strongly recommend you stay the heck away from the Pontiac Aztec.

Personally, I think that retro Vette looks nice.

On the subject of these "retro" cars, the styling is usually very well done, but they don't bother to infuse the car with anything that will truly quicken the pulse. Witness the <formerly> Plymouth Prowler. A real looker, but no true "go fast" bits. Same for the PT Cruiser (but that at least will haul a lot of stuff, as long as you don't want to haul <ahem> rear). The Thunderbird has a real engine, but it is mated to an automatic. Excuse me while I yawn. That and the high price tags commanded by these cars tell me what they are: designed by boomers for boomers. Those of us in the young adult bracket (sorry, boomers: it's time to get over the fact that your youth has left you) are left with cars that are more of the "riceboy" thing. (exhibit A: Honda Civic Si, exhibit B: Ford Focus SVT, etc.) Cars that, while fast, are not necessarily all that practical.

Ideal car? Subaru Impreza WRX wagon. Lots of speed and the ability to haul all kinds of stuff. But then, most people think that it is ugly (so much for putting the engineering FIRST).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
MikeT

Quote:
49K? Big deal, the Z06 sells for that now.
Well, sure, but the ZO6 actually runs. You could use it as your main car. A '57 Vette is basically a weekend toy. Cars of that vintage are so unreliable that you'd be insane to try to use one for regular transportation. I actually like the look of the modern Vettes, but not so much that I'd actually buy one. At 31, I don't think I'm a nostalgia-driven geezer, but I WOULD buy a new Vette that looked like this:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #8
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
. (exhibit A: Honda Civic Si, exhibit B: Ford Focus SVT, etc.) Cars that, while fast, are not necessarily all that practical.

Ideal car? Subaru Impreza WRX wagon. Lots of speed and the ability to haul all kinds of stuff. But then, most people think that it is ugly (so much for putting the engineering FIRST).
I disagree Phil. The Focus is a very practical car- its a hatchback, lots of space to haul junk.

Impractical cars are the Miata, Corvette, etc...

The Impreza wagon is ugly. Even more so than the 4 door. It just drives me nuts that GM can't see the light in regards to performance cars being more than just an expensive 2 seater and a 325HP pickup truck. Saturn could offer a 4WD version of the L, with say 225HP, and they'd likely find a lot of interested buyers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2002, 02:55 AM   #9
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

Mike T, check out the April issue of Super Chevy page 29. There is an ad for a company called Corvette Creations. They build '56 - '60 Vette body kits with space frames to fit '84-'01 Vette suspension systems. The price for the stage 1 kit is listed at $13,995. It looks like you could build a '56-'60 Vette replica with late model Vette mechanicals for under $30K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:37 AM   #10
MikeT

Thanks, Russ. I'll have to check that out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

Corvette Creations lists their address as 240 Crabapple Chase Ct., Alph, Ga. 30004. If someone on this board lives near there,
it might be a good idea to have them go by and check the address to make sure there is a factory, and not some mail drop where they sell pretty color brochures for $5.00, and get deposits, but build nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread