SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Crawdaddy
Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Replacing the daytime running light/turn signal bulb

I have a front turn signal that's out, and the faster paced blinking and the fact that it is out is driving me up the wall. I tried to get it out so I could go find a replacement, but the way it's in there is confusing me. I can't seem to get it out for anything, and I don't want to break anything either. If it's too long before I can get it out and replaced, I might just have saturn replace it for me. I'm coming up on yet ANOTHER oil change...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crawdaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crawdaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Replacing the daytime running light/turn signal bulb

That's the first I've heard of a 2005 turn signal being burnt out, they had problems with the earlier years front turn signal bulbs burning out quickly. I don't have the manual on me, but the steps are detailed in there. The dealer might replace it for free, as that's what they were doing with the earlier models with the quick burn out bulbs. The wiring harness might be damaged and sending too much juice to the bulb, resulting in the early death, so if you replace the bulb without telling them the new one might burn out in just a few months or even just a few weeks, and then the dealership could blame it on your aftermarket bulb rather than a defect in the car.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
DSLaBuda
DSLaBuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

wasn't there something about the fix for the earlier ones burning out that they integrated into the 05's partway through the year? i remember seeing something about checking the harness in the trunk on the passenger side, if it had a pink tag then you had the fix for the front signals. info on this is floating around either on here or saturnspot, can't remember right now.

anyway, changing the light is somewhat easy on these. i found this out when i swapped all my front lights for silverstars.

i can take pictures if needed but once you open the hood you'll see two black pins on the back of the headlamp housing where it attaches to the frame. you may need to turn them to get access, but pull those out. the entire headlamp assembly will now slide out (you may need to angle it around a bit). there will be a large harness connector attached to the back of the housing, unplug it. on the back of the housing you'll see two large (2-3") screw in plugs, unscrew the outer if you have a sedan and the inner if you have a coupe to access the turn signal.

theres the bulb, you should be able to go from here.

-DS
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here"
But I want to **** it all up!!"
Offspring - Americana

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DSLaBuda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DSLaBuda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DSLaBuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

Crawdaddy:

I had a similar issue with bulbs. After 10 months my right DRL/turn signal lamp burned out so I went to Saturn of Metairie for the harness fix. They told me that all that had to be done was to replace the bulb with an upgraded one because the "newer wiring harness" was already on my 04' Ion. That bulb lasted all of two weeks before it died! Instead of going back and getting them to install another "upgraded" bulb I decided to try the Sylvania Long Life replacement bulb which Wal-Mart carries (in Kenner, anyway). That seems to have done the trick, but since that was in May or so, time will tell how long a life the Sylvania will have. If you DIY, the bulb you need is Sylvania 3457A LL which replaces the 3357A LL with those words stated on the package.

Follow Bobwill's and Buda's decription, or check your owner's manual for details. It isn't really hard to do. About a five minute job, if that. Otherwise, if you can live with that high speed double flashing click wait until your oil change is due.

Take care.

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA-Vue
Crawdaddy:
Otherwise, if you can live with that high speed double flashing click wait until your oil change is due.

Take care.
Don't be too suprised if an alarming number of ***holes don't let you merge to the right during that time.
Really though, if there's a turn signal that could burn out and leave you relatively safe it would have to be your front passenger side bulb.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Crawdaddy

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

well, it's my front driver side one. I don't actually live in New Orleans, I actually live in Slidell, so I get all my service done at Saturn of Slidell. I also put bookoo miles on my car, so I'm thinking in about a week I'll be in for an oil change....

BTW, NOLA-vue, you may have noticed this, since I'm sure you cross the causeway at least some... when I go across the causeway (for everyone else, it's a 24-mile long bridge, with cops that like to nail ppl), I set my crusie control to 65. When I'm between the crossovers where the cops sit, I accelerate to 70 and hold it. When I go to drop back down to 65 by releasing the accelerator, it doesn't pick up the throttle at 65, like the cruise control disengaged. any clue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Crawdaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

Crawdaddy:

No, sorry I am clueless about that particular thing happening. I did have issues with my cruise control back in the early summer though. That issue was related to the cruise not engaging/setting when the button was pushed to set it. The diagnostics indicated a shorted brake switch that sometimes failed to engage the cruise. What one would think should be a simple brake switch transplant turned out to be a two day repair. Who knew that the entire steering sector and steering motor (under the dash) had to be pulled to get to the brake switch!

I hope your issue isn't that complex but apparently the brake switch in the ION, with cruise control, has more functions than just to turn on the brake lights. As it turned out, all the fears I had about anyone getting into the components under the dash and pulling the steering system out were in my own mind. The woman mechanic that worked on it did a fantastic job and even got rid of some dash rattles/squeeks that still haven't come back! I wish I had more information for you, and a simple answer, because if you are like me you'd hate for anyone to probe into your cars' vital organs!

BTW, I try to stay off the Causeway, not that there is much choice since Katrina knocked out the I-10's twin spans! Damn what a mess that is. I really feel for you, if you have to make that trip very often, the blood sucking Causeway cops not withstanding. It's just about the most boring 24 mile drive that exists!

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
Crawdaddy

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

unfortunatley, I have to cross the causeway several times a week b/c even tho I live in Slidell and the twinspans are now open 1 lane each direction, I work in Mandeville. I will keep that brake switch in my mind. unless just from the cadence of the different bridge sections the brake switch gets bumped. I know I'm not hitting the brake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!