SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Dubhlachan
Dubhlachan is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Yet another engine block heater question

I'm being stationed in Duluth MN soon so I started gathering info on block heaters. Saturn wants $84 for the tack-on heater and $38 for the cord. I like the idea of an easy install but the price... ugh. Does anyone have an alternate/aftermarket source for the same style (bolt-on) heater but at a more reasonable price?

Is it worth it to get an electric battery blanket as well? Would that be better than trickle-charging the battery all night?

If I got along with people half as well as I got along with machines...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dubhlachan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dubhlachan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Yet another engine block heater question

I plugged the SL1 in about 15 times over the winter. I don't have a battery blanket, and I have never "charged" the battery with a trickle charger.

Never hurts to have the car plugged in. $100+ seems steep. Of course, I just pulled mine off my old man's car before it got scrapped.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

That seems to be the going rate for the excessively priced heater element and cord. The "S" series engines use a unique block heater; only available from Saturn. The L, Ion, and Vue 4 cylinder Ecotec engines use a very common GM block heater, available at any GM parts store. If you don't want to pay the piper, try a magnetic heater element from a parts store. They're made for prewarming air compressors as well as engine blocks. I paid $28 Cdn, including the cord. Works great on my air compressor in my garage in the winter. I also use an electric battery blanket. Duluth gets almost as cold as Winnipeg, so I would recommend it. Also a 0W-30 synthetic oil will help a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Dubhlachan
Dubhlachan is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

How big are these magnetic heaters, and is there a good place (on the engine) to stick them? I'm not sure if having warm oil (pan placement) and a cold water jacket is better than cold oil, with a warm water jacket (block placement).

Oh hell, if someone has a picture of a circulating heater/pump on thier saturn please post it with details. Magnetic heater pics welcome too.

If I got along with people half as well as I got along with machines...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dubhlachan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dubhlachan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Magnetic heater is about 4" long, 2" wide, and 1" thick. Made by Temro. Any surface that will hold the magnet will do. Would be a problem with the Saturn block, as it's aluminum. However, the flat part of the block below the coil pack is where the factory block heater bolts to. The magnetic heater would just sit on that ledge. No need for magnet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Hiro2vu
Hiro2vu is on a distinguished road

I live in northern Alberta and have a 95 sl1. I just use the factory block heater, no blanket or trickle charger, and the battery is the original. It doesn't need to be plugged in above about -20 celsius, and below that it will start no problem as long as it is plugged in for a couple of hours first. Only thing that I might warn with the magnetic ones is that it would involve some messing around under the hood when you want to unplug the car and go somewhere unless you can find some way to mount it permanently. Probably would suggest checking the wreckers in MN when you get there, i would guess that most of the cars sold there had the factory block heater installed.

Hiro.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiro2vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiro2vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread