SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Check Engine Light W/ Reduced Power light

Hello

As I went to start up my 2003 L300 this afternoon with an outside temp of 1 degree, below 15 with the windchill, my check engine light came on as well as the reduced power light. I turned off the car and restarted it and the reduced power light went off but the check engine symbol was still on (steady, not flashing).
I called my Saturn retailer and they advised me that I can keep driving the vehicle as the check engine light is steady and not flashing.

The service girl said that due to the cold weather my throttle may have been sticking a bit? which caused the reduced power symbol and said the check engine light would probably remain on.. does this sound correct? any advice? I plan to bring the car in next Saturday, for my retailer is booked solid till next wednesday anyhow...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

My light popped on too today!Would'nt go out till I bought a scanner at PepBoys.Best $129 I've spent in a while.
Cause?Misfire #1 cylinder.The car idled rough upon startup in the 6 degree cold,musta kicked in the light.Once I cleared the code, it stayed off.
I think many folks in the northeast faced this today....
Hang in there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

The 3.0L V6 engine uses an electronic throttle control system. The Reduced Power light comes on if a problem is detected with the throttle control system, such as the throttle not reaching the correct position. Ice jamming the throttle blades could cause such a problem - apparently, if the throttle fails to reach the fully closed position, it will try to force the throttle closed several times to try to break away ice, but this may not work..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
saturnfreak01

Default Update..

Here's the scoop

Yesterday morning when I restarted the car, there were no lights on the dashboard on, and the car drove fine... Then, yesterday afternoon the check engine light and the reduced power light came on again, I started to drive the car and the transmission was shifting very rough from first to second, and second to third, however third to fourth wasn't as bad.... very jerky in nature... Then, this morning the car seemed fine again ? Is my car possessed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The car is not possessed by anything other than a component that is not working. You must still be under warrenty. Get it to Saturn and let them read the trouble codes so that they can find what is causing this to happen and repair it. Even if the SES light is not on they will still be able to check for codes and see what is causing things to go bad when the light comes on.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
saturnfreak01

Default Update...

Brought the car in today for its 12,000 mile service and had them check the check engine light/ codes/ apparently the throttle body iced over during the cold spell and has since returned to normal...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread