SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 02:50 AM   #1
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I saw pictures of GM's Ron Zarrella driving the Buick Bengal concept car at the Woodward Dream Cruise. The Bengal is close to how I wanted the Saturn roadster to look. Rebadges anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Rod
Rod is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Roadster? Not so far fetched...

From a Saturn bulletin:

Saturn will participate in a media event during the Pebble Beach Concours Weekend, August 15-19, 2001. At this time, GM Design will unveil several new foam models of 2002 concept vehicles, which will be functional by their debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, 2002. I, along with David Smith, Saturn's new brand character chief designer, will help unveil the Saturn Sky, an open-air 2+2 roadster based on Delta architecture and featuring a rear access door, center mounted instrumentation, and an innovative multi-piece liftoff roof made of a translucent material.

The sky is being created to inject some daring and verve into Saturn styling while retaining the brand's signature cues. It will adhere to Saturn's design philosophy of honesty, intuitiveness and friendliness. In addition, the interior will highlight several functional and flexible attributes aimed at appealing to young people.

The concept vehicle will feature a supercharged 2.2-liter four cylinder engine mated to a five-speed manual transmission and is expected to generate 180 horsepower.

While the Sky will share many of the features and components of the upcoming small car replacements, its purpose is to assist us in investigating options for expanding our model line-up. No production plans for the Sky exist at this time.

I look forward to your reaction to this bold and innovative step for Saturn.

Jill Lajdziak
Vice President
Sales, Service and Marketing

**Pretty sweet, huh? So who can dig up the first pictures for us?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:38 AM   #3
patrick 96sl2
patrick 96sl2 is on a distinguished road

The "sweetest" part is the info about a 2.2 liter supercharged engine in a Delta platform.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patrick 96sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patrick 96sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:42 AM   #4
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Argh...more evidence that the center instrument are likely to come for the Delta S series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:45 AM   #5
Rod
Rod is on a distinguished road

I just knew one of the first posts would be about the center console part...

Personally, this was very exciting to me. If they get enough response, maybe they will build it. Remember, the redesigned Beetle wasn't originally going to be a production model either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:49 AM   #6
Yankeez01L30094SL2
Yankeez01L30094SL2 is on a distinguished road

So we are going to start seeing some delta S stuff soon! I like the 2.2 turbo also. good performance yet good gas mileage! I like the 3rd door also. Perfect for my five year old to get in the back. I may be in a sport coupe yet, there is hope! If it is a roadster I'm sure it could be a 3door coupe also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez01L30094SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez01L30094SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 12:22 PM   #7
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Yes, Saturn folks take note -- we wanna see pics or drawings of the Delta S.

Please

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 02:20 PM   #8
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Oh, great news, they re-badged the Pontiac Piranha as a Saturn Sky?
2.2L Supercharged. Yes, sounds like it to me.
GM's dead set on showing off this 2.2L Supercharged engine in something, It must be fully functional by now.

Don't worry if it will fit in another Delta platform vehicle, it will fit in the S series. With so many GM cars going with the L61 engine and the Delta platform, it's all going to be interchangeable. Nothing but good will come of it in one form or another, even if places like RK Sport and GMSPO have to get it done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 02:56 PM   #9
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2

Sky? They named it Sky? I'm sorry but <graphic with expletive removed by administrator>.

They should have named it the CV2. Since the original concept SUV was the CV1 (Concept Vehicle 1). But this is the company that named their SUV the VUE... How hippie sounding is THAT?

3F<blah>, I am in a mood today aren't I?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 04:41 PM   #10
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

May be I'm wrong, but I thought a Roadster was a 2seater? Or does it have to do with the engine placement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2001, 06:18 PM   #11
JasonD
JasonD is on a distinguished road

What if, by chance, the center mounted console turns out to be easier for the driver to read while driving?

Is it still just A Different kind of Product we should reject?

Hey, it may actually be a better design. It may be crap. Don't knock it, till you try it.

The new roadster would be great news for Saturn. GM NEEEEEEDS this. I feel that this new sporty image is just what GM needs. I know of many people who do not own Satties, but have heard good things about the quality. Add the quality and some performance and you get a import fighter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JasonD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JasonD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 01:37 AM   #12
Plastic Gravity

This is where GM turns Saturn into another overbranded nobody.

SKY...that is just so touchy-feely-crappola sounding.

Uggh! That stupid center instrument thing...The motor doesn't even interest me. I'm sorry guys, but only 180HP WITH A <blah> supercharger? C'mon, its big four already at 2.2L. Bout the only thing that's appealing is that being its a supercharger, it should have a nice flat torque curve. Realistically, the S/C is only adding about 40Hp...big deal.

Does anyone have pics of this thing?

BTW, is it just me, or does Jill L's press releases sound like sooooo much overfluffed B/S?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-18-2001, 02:29 AM   #13
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

I hate to crash the party, but a 2.2L I4 should be making 180 horsepower naturally aspirated. Supercharged, and still only making 180? Good grief. How much (or little) boost are they running on that darn thing?

Sky...another turd in the name department. Duh...we already know the roof is removable.

On the bright side, it's nice to know something of character is coming out of Saturn's skunkworks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 05:45 AM   #14
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

I am just glad that they are finally allowed any concept at all!!! It is a start, after all. It has been 10 years since they have been allowed a concept.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 09:26 AM   #15
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Wow, people complain about the lack of performance, sports-oriented cars from Saturn. Now Saturn has announced that they will be releasing a concept vehicle in that direction. Without ANY final information about the concept except it's name, people are already complaining. The name "Sky" is for the concept, not for a production model. We have NO idea of performance figures except for speculated horsepower ratings. We don't know any other factors that could affect real-world performance.

I say keep an open mind. This may be an awesome looking, fast car. Already people are bashing a car that doesn't exist yet!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 09:54 AM   #16
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Actually, I think the names makes sense. The top-off look will allow the driver to see the Sky. Anyway, Saturn car names are coming so all you stick-in-the-muds might as well just get used to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 11:05 AM   #17
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

You mean new names are coming for the S and L Series? That's too bad. If the names are anywhere near as stupid as VUE and Sky, I honestly don't know if I'll buy another Saturn. I don't want to be embarrassed by what I drive! (Sky isn't as bad as VUE, though.) Oh well, we'll see what happens. If I were to go back to school in a year for an MBA, it would most likely be 3 years before I buy my next new car. It'll be interesting to see what's out there by then...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 11:41 AM   #18
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
VTHOKIE97SL2 (08-18-2001 11:05 a.m.):
You mean new names are coming for the S and L Series? That's too bad. If the names are anywhere near as stupid as VUE and Sky, I honestly don't know if I'll buy another Saturn. I don't want to be embarrassed by what I drive! (Sky isn't as bad as VUE, though...
No kidding. The naming has been just awful. First they screw up the nice sounding Saturn LS. It becomes the L100...sounds more like a work truck, if you ask me. Then the VUE, which it has that "brand" spin so heavy, so smilly face, its sickening. Then it was the "expressions series" feminine itching ointment...um, I mean bodywork...seriously, that's how bad this stuff sounds. Now "sky"...yuck.

What's next? The saturn ROD concept car, a lightly warmed over SC? Saturn SERIOUSLY needs to work on its image. They used to actually be kinda hip, now they are just dull, warm and fuzzy...ick.

The new S-cars need to be just that, S-cars. Bring on the SC, SL, SW variants...the roadster could be the Saturn SR..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 08-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #19
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I like the idea of a roadster and I am keeping in mind that it is only a concept car without a committment to production. A roadster to me invokes images of 1950's Indy cars with a fairly high profile, lots of curves and rounded edges and a prominent grille. Hopefully this thing is noisy when you drive it and has a suspension that will let you really drive it hard. "Sky" is kind of weak but Sky Chief, Sky Master, or Sky Streak would be fittingly retro.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2001, 12:15 PM   #20
jurzdevil
jurzdevil is on a distinguished road

I think they should make a larger sc2 but with only two seats and throw an LS6 in the front and have it rear wheel drive and call it the saturn Titan...after one of saturns moons... and only make 1000 of them.If it sells and gets good reveiws and they do a kick ass job then they could make a v6 for it and the option of a v8 and youve got your camaro replacement.

sound good?

sean

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jurzdevil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jurzdevil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread