SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
metroke
metroke is on a distinguished road

Default Flex pipe

Hi all

Well now i got 2 problems to fix on this Saturn 2008 Astra XE 1.8

The first one is i have a small hole in the front flex pipe of the exhaust system but i do not wish to change the hole darn assembly like the dealer says at a cost of 500.00$. Just ridiculous to fix the flex pipe.

Now to my second problem. In the dash board the INSP is always coming up. I have done a reset but still comes back on. Are they many kinds of resets out there.

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metroke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metroke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metroke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Flex pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroke View Post
Hi all

Well now i got 2 problems to fix on this Saturn 2008 Astra XE 1.8

The first one is i have a small hole in the front flex pipe of the exhaust system but i do not wish to change the hole darn assembly like the dealer says at a cost of 500.00$. Just ridiculous to fix the flex pipe.

Now to my second problem. In the dash board the INSP is always coming up. I have done a reset but still comes back on. Are they many kinds of resets out there.

Thanks in advance
First, most shops that specialize in exhaust work can cut out and replace just the flexible portion for a fraction of what a complete assembly would cost. A few fellow forum members have just done that.

Second, the owner's manual is missing a critical step that makes it impossible to reset it properly. You must have your foot on the brake while holding the trip meter stem on the instrument cluster. Here is the complete procedure.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
metroke

Thank you very much for the info. As for the INSP well pushing down on the break did the job.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help metroke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just had my flex pipe replaced a couple of months ago, cost $30 for parts and labor.

-Jess

Astra XR 5dr (Traded for 2014.5 Focus ST)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vegetaarmy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vegetaarmy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
metroke

Well went to 2 places and they are charging me 200.00$. Here near Montreal they are bandits. So what i will do i will order my part from Vauxhall parts in the UK but for this i need help.

I need to know what is the size of this flex pipe.

Would by any chance anybody know where i can find the Engine Code with this i would be able to get the right part.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

You don't want to buy the OEM front exhaust pipe from overseas and ship it here to the US. $200 is on the high side for cutting out and welding on a new flex pipe. My local rate for the mechanic is somewhere around $80. 1 hour of labor plus cost of the flex pipe, around $40-60 would put you in the ballpark of $140. You will not be able to buy a new OEM flex pipe that cheap because the pipe has a catalytic converter as part of the whole assembly.

I know you live in Canada. I don't know what shipping costs it would be from the US to Canada, but I'll sell you mine from my car. I pulled it from the car at around 9,000 miles on the dials. It is in really good condition and has never seen a salty winter road.

$50 plus shipping costs. Pictures show it still connected to the center muffler.

I don't know what the purple ink is for. It is not corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I just found a new one online for you. The part number is 93357647 and the cheapest one I could find online is $235.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../93357647.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
metroke

Thanks all

But all i want is the flex pipe. I can get this but i need the size of it.

How long is it and what is the circumference of the pipe.

Once i got this then i can get it installed for 30.00$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I just took the calipers to it. The pipe OUTSIDE diameter is 1.970". The metric equivalent is 50 mm OD (50.038 mm as I measured it). I do not know how thick the metal is. I forgot to measure how long it was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
metroke

Thanks

Do you know how long it is ???

I found a bundle of them just need to get the right one

Found them at Amazon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I did mine the other day, I bought a 8" flex, 12" total length pipe with a 2" diameter. It slid perfectly over the existing pipe.

Here's my link.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190789

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
metroke

[QUOTE=Weeman;1973563]I did mine the other day, I bought a 8" flex, 12" total length pipe with a 2" diameter. It slid perfectly over the existing pipe.

Thanks a million now i know exactly what to get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

[QUOTE=metroke;1973568]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
I did mine the other day, I bought a 8" flex, 12" total length pipe with a 2" diameter. It slid perfectly over the existing pipe.

Thanks a million now i know exactly what to get.
Welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
metroke

Hello all

I would like to thank you all. For all of your help the flex was changed for under 100.00$. I ordered the part on Ebay and got the corner garage to change it for cheap.

Ebay what would we do without it.

Thanks all

I have posted a new post maybe you can help me out on that one also

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
First, most shops that specialize in exhaust work can cut out and replace just the flexible portion for a fraction of what a complete assembly would cost. A few fellow forum members have just done that.

Second, the owner's manual is missing a critical step that makes it impossible to reset it properly. You must have your foot on the brake while holding the trip meter stem on the instrument cluster. Here is the complete procedure.
Are you sure the brake bit isn't 2008-only? I've never had to do it to do the reset. I figured out while toying around with things one day that it was unnecessary... At least for mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
John Bennett
John Bennett is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Walker part number 51022 (flex pipe 8" long with 2" flange) works well along with walker 31559 (3 hole gasket) . Parts under $40.00 (even in Canada)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John Bennett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John Bennett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
Walker part number 51022 (flex pipe 8" long with 2" flange) works well along with walker 31559 (3 hole gasket) . Parts under $40.00 (even in Canada)
Welcome to the forum Bennett! Why don't you introduce yourself in a new thread and show off your ride?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
metroke

Hello all

If you can see the flex has been fix so why are you telling me to order another part to get it fixed again. Read the full post before you put down any thing.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

metroke, it is just a common courtesy for people to post suggestions for parts even if the individuals problem is solved. Often, people will do searches for mechanical issues - it would be helpful to have a few answers to go by.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
GammaVen
GammaVen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
Thank you much, this really helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GammaVen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GammaVen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GammaVen is offline   Reply With Quote