SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
haywood2121
haywood2121 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Pressure Solenoid Again!?!? 2003 Saturn LS

I have a 2003 Saturn with 200k+miles.

Back in ~~ 2008 I had the transmission line pressure solenoid replace (the transmission was jerking and service wrench light would come on)

Fast Forward to 2013 and now I'm having the same issue.. BUT NOTHING ELSE..GREAT CAR!

Should I just replace the solenoid again?.....aren't the odds in my favor to just change the solenoid again?...Instead of paying a $90+ diagnostic fee.

Thanks for your help!

2003 Saturn LS3 260000 miles and still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haywood2121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haywood2121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haywood2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Pressure Solenoid Again!?!? 2003 Saturn LS

[/QUOTE]Yikes! That's really unfortunate. Was there anything which preceded this problem's recurrence? Is the problem ongoing at the moment or will it come and go?

When the symptoms you described happened in my car, the first occasion followed about a complete transmission drain at a Saturn dealership, 11 quarts. It was not immediate, however. It occurred some months later on three or four occasions and then stopped. It didn't show itself again for another four or five years until one particularly hot Spring day in 2010. The jerking problem hasn't surfaced since then.

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
haywood2121

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

okay this is the CRAZY PART.

It was happening all the time about 9 months ago...then I noticed a connection that was loose coming from ???? that was rubbing some metal on the frame.

It must of got loose when the front bumper came off

When I tie wrapped it so it wasn't rubbing anything it stopped for about 4 months.

Now it is back again steady for the last 2 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help haywood2121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood2121 View Post
okay this is the CRAZY PART.

It was happening all the time about 9 months ago...then I noticed a connection that was loose coming from ???? that was rubbing some metal on the frame.

It must of got loose when the front bumper came off

When I tie wrapped it so it wasn't rubbing anything it stopped for about 4 months.

Now it is back again steady for the last 2 months.
Sell since we have no driving history on the Saturn we can't speculate as what might be the cause. Could be the Solenoid was of bad quality or your been towing very heavy towing which could be the cause of the failure and or the tranx itself is in need of rebuild. So we need details on the history of the Saturn and Tranx and your driving habits that will tell how one maintains their Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

haywood2121, was the original error code found? With wiring found chafed, is it possible the same wiring is damaged and causing the same problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

qurry was the code you replacedthe line pressure cntrol solinoid for a p1811? also how many miles on the trans? ever had a fluid change.. if it;s a 4t65 they are susptable to eather theair intake sensor being grounded out or reading skewed..possably the wire you had fixed.. you have high mileage so bushing wear is leading to 1 of he cluches going over 0.65 seconds to compleate lock up.. you didn't say if the ses or wrench light is on again.. persoaly i would see if anyone you know has a code reader or ck your local auto parts stores some states and places read codes... or get it diage.. it's always cheaper that throwing parts at it...

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
haywood2121

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have ~~ 100k MORE miles on it since I first changed the solenoid ... with a total of 220k

My driving habits are pretty laid back, I stay in Raleigh, NC with NO hills and I don't tow anything on car.

Yes, p1811 was one the original codes.

Where is the intake sensor located??????????

I will check that today and get the codes read (if it comes on).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think satlite440 is describing the external air temperature sensor probe mounted behind the front grille. Its used to display 'EXT'(ternal)/outside temperatures on the HVAC control panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
haywood2121

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

After my front bumper fail off I have been getting those 'EXT'(ternal)/outside temperatures codes.....going to the junk yard to get another to replace it.

Do you know where is the intake sensor located?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

We have the same car. Look thru the front bumper, right side to locate the ambient air temperature sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aats.jpg (179.9 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!