SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Amstel11
Amstel11 is on a distinguished road

Default 2009 XR 5 Passenger Airbag indicator

Hi all,

I'm moving to the US from Canada and in order to import my 2009 Astra XR 5 I need to switch my passenger airbag indicator light. Currently I have something that shows a picture of a guy with a seatbelt on. This is the international standard. However, in the US I need it to be a light that shows "air bag on" or "air bag off"
I will pursue getting this through Saturn but I can tell it's going to be unnecessarily expensive.

Any ideas on where to get one or the work involved in switching it?

Thanks so much,

Amstel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amstel11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amstel11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Amstel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 XR 5 Passenger Airbag indicator

Don't know if this would be all that you need for the light to work, but in the US Astras (at least mine), my indicator is on my rear view mirror. I found one on eBay for pretty cheap as well: Here is the auction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Amstel11

That's an excellent point. I just got off the phone with GM and the guy assumed it was on the dash. I've never even noticed. But now that you mention it. I think it is on the mirror. So I can just replace the mirror? Are there any other indicators?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Amstel11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Amstel11

Also, given the onstar etc. how much work is involved in changing the mirror out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Take a pic of your mirror. I might be able to help you out with a trade, since I haven't used On-Star since it was free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Amstel11

@VanillaSky

Will do. Mine still has onstar, it just has a different image for the airbag sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel11 View Post
That's an excellent point. I just got off the phone with GM and the guy assumed it was on the dash. I've never even noticed. But now that you mention it. I think it is on the mirror. So I can just replace the mirror? Are there any other indicators?
It's on the mirror. The one on the dash near the hazard switch is the front passenger seatbelt warning light. The rear view mirrors in Canada (and the rest of the world, I believe) use two orange icons to indicate whether the airbag is enabled or disabled. US cars use text*. It baffles me that you'd need to swap your rear view mirror just because of that, since I'm pretty sure the indicator for the driver's airbag is an icon located in the instrument cluster. But then again, Kinder Eggs are also banned in the US so...

* Source: Canadian owner's manual page 1-30

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Amstel11

@Vanilla Sky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-30 07.52.37.jpg (100.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-30 07.52.45.jpg (121.7 KB, 40 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

This PDF manual shows the difference on page 1-30.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

I here in Wisconsin recently bought a 2008 Astra XE that was originally sold in Canada. It was driven in the Hamilton, ON area. On this car the rear view mirror still has the pictures for the passenger side airbag on or off. It does not have the US standard words on or off. The odometer has been changed from kilometers to miles though. I do not know why this is. Did this car slip through customs? If was a mistake or an oversight by the Feds, please do not tell the NHTSA! By the way, it still has the sticker on the lower front passsenger window in French text telling you that objects in the outside mirror are closer than they appear. Kind of interesting.

PaulR
2008 XR3 leather, heated seats, premium sound, 18' wheels
2008 XE5 heated seats, the really cool moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
PaulR

Dizzy Re: 2009 XR 5 Passenger Airbag indicator

The Canadian airbag indicator light icons are much less annoying when driving at night than the US text " airbag on" or "airbag off" is. I know, I have both a Canadian imported Astra and one that was bought in the US. Just thought I would add that.

PaulR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

every canada car ive seen imported to the us has had dash cha nged to miles from kilometers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Amstel11

The US mirror with the passenger air bag wording is annoying. I will probably switch it back.

I didn't have to change the dash but I would like to.

My muffler hangers get here today and I'm actually excited. The noise is driving me bonkers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
The US mirror with the passenger air bag wording is annoying. I will probably switch it back.

I didn't have to change the dash but I would like to.

My muffler hangers get here today and I'm actually excited. The noise is driving me bonkers.
How many miles on your Astra? I may be intertested in a gauge swap if you want (and have close mileage).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Amstel11

My car is a 2009 Astra XR 4 dr.
27,000 km on the car total, so ~18,000 miles.
I'd be interested in a gauge swap is there is minimal install work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

im not sure about astra but most cars dont keep the mileage on the cluster. its kept in the bcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #17
qwerty123
qwerty123 is on a distinguished road

Hi Amstell 11,

Did you fix this problem? I have the same issue. I want to import my 2009 Saturn Astra XE, but i must change the passenger airbag display for it to conform with US standard. Please let me know. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwerty123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwerty123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwerty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 AM   #18
PaulR

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm moving to the US from Canada and in order to import my 2009 Astra XR 5 I need to switch my passenger airbag indicator light. Currently I have something that shows a picture of a guy with a seatbelt on. This is the international standard. However, in the US I need it to be a light that shows "air bag on" or "air bag off"
I will pursue getting this through Saturn but I can tell it's going to be unnecessarily expensive.

Thanks so much,

Amstel
Psssst. Do not tell the border patrol or the NHTSA but when my used XR5 was brought from Canada into the U.S., the rear view mirror was never swapped out. I am patriot, but frankly I like the international standard icon better than the U.S. one. It is not nearly as annoying when driving at night.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #19
qwerty123

Hi Amstell 11,

Did you fix this problem? I have the same issue. I want to import my 2009 Saturn Astra XE, but i must change the passenger airbag display for it to conform with US standard. Please let me know. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help qwerty123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #20
qwerty123

Hi Amstell 11,

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks so much,

Amstel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!