SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 05:02 PM   #1
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Default VUE AWD system?

Can someone explain how the view awd system works? I would assume that it is a Front Wheel bias system (Meaning most of the power goes to the front, until the wheels begin to slip). But how much power can be diverted to the rear wheels during slippage? Also, is it torque based, or wheel speed based?

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

The VUE is available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, which is available
on models with the V6 and five-speed automatic as well as on models equipped
with the four-cylinder engine and VTi. The all-wheel-drive system features a
transfer case located just ahead of the rear axle line that can smoothly transfer
torque to the rear wheels if the front wheels start to slip. The system is fully
automatic, maintenance free and so compact it requires no driveshaft tunnel in
the interior, allowing a flat floor.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: View AWD system?

Quote:
Originally posted by ProDarwin
Can someone explain how the view awd system works? I would assume that it is a Front Wheel bias system (Meaning most of the power goes to the front, until the wheels begin to slip). But how much power can be diverted to the rear wheels during slippage? Also, is it torque based, or wheel speed based?
View? View? Saturn doesn't make a view..
:o: :o:
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Semi short explanation.
During regular everday driving the front wheels do 90 % of the driving, there is always 105 of the power passed to the rear wheels.All torque regulation to the rear wheels is based on a difference in the speed between the propshaft (which is linked to the front drive system) and the rear wheels.When the front axle speed exceeds the rear axle speed the rear diff is activated through the use of an oil pump in the diff housing that begins to activate a clutch pack gives the rear wheels more torque. As the speed difference equalizes the torque difference returns to normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:43 PM   #5
ProDarwin
Master Member

Default Re: Re: View AWD system?

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
~D.J.~
Good point. I meant the VUE. Anyways, I was just wondering how the system worked. Is the engine mounted transversely? I think it would be cool to make a turbo awd 5 spd saturn, and that system would probably not be too hard to adapt to a saturn car.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: View AWD system?

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
:o: :o:
~D.J.~
Yeah that bugs me too, our salesrep told us he heard someone call it a "VOO"

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:19 AM   #7
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Idea

As you can see, the VUE's motor is still transversely mounted.
The tranny and AWD system is doing the magic to apply torque to all 4 wheels on demand.

Note: It still has a long drive shaft to the rear Differential.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:24 AM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Re: Re: View AWD system?

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertPuma
Yeah that bugs me too, our salesrep told us he heard someone call it a "VOO"
We get that all the time. One putz at work calls it that... he drives a Ford Festiva.. so noone really respects him anyways lol
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:59 AM   #9
ProDarwin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Qlara
As you can see, the VUE's motor is still transversely mounted.
The tranny and AWD system is doing the magic to apply torque to all 4 wheels on demand.

Note: It still has a long drive shaft to the rear Differential.

Are those drums on the rear!? VOMIT.

Anyways, I think it would be cool to turbo this system, and put it in a car, or even lower the VUE (Got it right this time) and turn it into an AWD performance vehicle. With the ecotec in there, you have plenty of engine capability, and the AWD + room for some wider tires will give you plenty of traction.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 02:07 AM   #10
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

A CVT VUE was boosted a few months ago ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:27 AM   #11
ProDarwin
Master Member

Hmm, how well did the CVT hold up to that. Why type of cvt is it? Standard belt, Toroidal, etc.?

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 03:23 AM   #12
alanhvue
alanhvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmm, how well did the CVT hold up to that. Why type of cvt is it? Standard belt, Toroidal, etc.?
The VTi uses a metal belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanhvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanhvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #13
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Are those drums on the rear!? VOMIT.

You have been sucked into technology hype. Consider yourself a lemming.

Unless you are driving an SCCA or Autocross where you experience maximum, repeated brake use, you will never likely notice the difference in identical cars...one with drum rears and one with disc rears.

The rear brakes carry a very light load and it's highly unlikely that you would ever get to the point of brake fade. Now here's the real kicker... drum brakes have a higher static clamping force than disc brakes. It's a matter of the brake friction apply area. And if you do an inspection, you'll find that most rear disc brakes are substantially different in robustness when compared to the fronts. The rotors are generally non-vented and very thin. They are also smaller in diameter than front in most cases. The pads are also tiny in comparison to the fronts. What should this tell you? That not much is being asked from the rear brakes so not much is offered.

Many cars (and trucks) come with or are offered with rear discs not because they need them, but because the consumer thinks it represents some technological advantage that they must have.

Now front discs are a different story since they carry 70% of the braking load.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 12:14 PM   #14
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Proctor

Unless you are driving an SCCA or Autocross where you experience maximum, repeated brake use, you will never likely notice the difference in identical cars...one with drum rears and one with disc rears.

The rear brakes carry a very light load and it's highly unlikely that you would ever get to the point of brake fade. Now here's the real kicker... drum brakes have a higher static clamping force than disc brakes. It's a matter of the brake friction apply area. And if you do an inspection, you'll find that most rear disc brakes are substantially different in robustness when compared to the fronts. The rotors are generally non-vented and very thin. They are also smaller in diameter than front in most cases. The pads are also tiny in comparison to the fronts. What should this tell you? That not much is being asked from the rear brakes so not much is offered.

Many cars (and trucks) come with or are offered with rear discs not because they need them, but because the consumer thinks it represents some technological advantage that they must have.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one on here that doesn't mind drum brakes, and don't understand why everyone gripes about them.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 01:20 PM   #15
ProDarwin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Proctor

I have experienced enough brake fade in my car to know that I do not like drums. Granted most of the fade occurs in the front rotors, but the back still gets some. Oh yeah, and drum brakes have a higher static clamping force than disc - you know what that means? Yeah. You can lock them, real easy. On top of all this, drum brakes weigh more and increase your unsprung weight. Unsprung weight = evil.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 01:34 PM   #16
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
I have experienced enough brake fade in my car to know that I do not like drums. Granted most of the fade occurs in the front rotors, but the back still gets some. Oh yeah, and drum brakes have a higher static clamping force than disc - you know what that means? Yeah. You can lock them, real easy. On top of all this, drum brakes weigh more and increase your unsprung weight. Unsprung weight = evil.
You managed to get EVERYTHING backward. Do some research on the subject. There's a difference between what you think you know and what is true.

I'll accept that you don't like drum brakes, but that's all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:31 PM   #17
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

I like Rear discs.....it's easier to change pads and it looks more handsome too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #18
ProDarwin
Master Member

I've done research on the subject. I go to an automotive engineering school where we design this kind of stuff for use on all kinds of vehicles. Discs have much more fade resistance than drum brakes, and are easier to modulate to prevent locking. I would like to see some fade info on drum brakes proving they have more fade resistance. Also, if you have the weights of the saturn brake system in both disc and drum, I would like to see that. I know that 90% of the time, discs weigh far less.
Drums contain heat within the system, whereas almost the entire disc is exposed to air to allow better cooling (And therefore fade resistance).

Where as drums are adequate for most cars, and most driving styles, some people (Me) like to push their cars to the limit, and discs are better for this.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 04:22 PM   #19
Gerry Proctor
Master Member

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

- "Discs have much more fade resistance than drum brakes..." True.

- "...and are easier to modulate to prevent locking."
Unless you have a mechanical (or driver) defect, false.

- "I would like to see some fade info on drum brakes proving they have more fade resistance."
I never wrote that and from a thermodynamic and design standpoint, that wouldn't make sense.

- "I know that 90% of the time, discs weigh far less."
Better do some practical experimentation on this one. Unless you are comparing a racing braking system with aluminum hats and multi-piston alloy calipers and alloy brackets to a factory drum set up, you're going to find that it is quite the reverse.

- "Drums contain heat within the system, whereas almost the entire disc is exposed to air to allow better cooling (And therefore fade resistance)."
You are somehow overlooking the design of a drum and how it dissipates heat. Drums radiate heat through the outer surface -of which there is quite a bit of. In the days before front discs were common...pre-1970, almost all drums - and in today's heavy duty applications, the drums have cooling fins as well to create a larger surface area for radiating heat. As to the issue of fade, which you correctly relate to heat but I don't think you understand it all that well, drum brake fade is the result of the heated drum expanding beyond the practical arc limit of the brake shoes. It takes quite a bit of hard use to achieve a level of fade that will cause you any problems. Anyone who drove a four-wheel drum brake car (as I did as a teen) back in the "good ol' days" can probably relate that it wasn't that poor of an experience -as the car magazines would have you believe. A properly maintained drum brake system will work just as well a disc system up to the point of fade. If you want to get a better understanding of this, investigate the drum systems used on Ferarri in the 50s for their LeMans cars and the '63 Corvette Z06. And the modulation of discs or drums has more to do with driver skill rather than brake design. If that were not the case, then it would not be possible to safely drive a drum brake car on snow or in the rain. We seemed to do it pretty well back then.

- "I go to an automotive engineering school where we design this kind of stuff for use on all kinds of vehicles."
So?

- "Where as drums are adequate for most cars, and most driving styles, some people (Me) like to push their cars to the limit, and discs are better for this."
Well most people (not me) don't own a Corvette (four-wheel discs with big honkin' 12" ventilated discs, four-piston fixed calipers, stainless lines, and carbon pads) and don't really know what it's like to push their car to the limit and never will.

Good luck on your Autocrossing.
Gerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2002, 04:43 PM   #20
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by ssicarman
Semi short explanation.
During regular everday driving the front wheels do 90 % of the driving, there is always 105 of the power passed to the rear wheels.All torque regulation to the rear wheels is based on a difference in the speed between the propshaft (which is linked to the front drive system) and the rear wheels.When the front axle speed exceeds the rear axle speed the rear diff is activated through the use of an oil pump in the diff housing that begins to activate a clutch pack gives the rear wheels more torque. As the speed difference equalizes the torque difference returns to normal.
sscicarman, do you know of a web site with this info published? I couldn't find the AWD system on gmpowertrain.com and Saturn's site doesn't say too much beyond "powers the front wheels during normal driving on smooth, dry roads. If they slip, power flows to the rear wheels automatically."

By the way, gmpowertrain.com does have some good info on the VTi Transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WeeeZer14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WeeeZer14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread