SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2
Default OBD-I ABS Codes with laptop

I've got a USB cable for my laptop, but there hardly seems to be any software that will work with the Saturn.

Often times when I start this '95 SC2 up and start driving, the ABS will do it's routine, but fail to complete and then the ABS light just stays on for the rest of the run cycle. The test that the ABS runs when you first start driving sounds like it only makes it about 1/2 when the light comes on. It doesn't quite sound like it normally would.

Also, the airbag light never goes off.

I have grounded the pins, but it continously repeats code 12.

Is there anything I can do with this USB cable, or was it a waste of money? I have EFILive V4 and can connect and get some readings, but there doesn't seem to be any way to view any trouble codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackPlastic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: OBD-I ABS Codes with laptop

USB cable for a '95? I am not aware of any USB connection on the cars as it came from the factory.

Someone else may know of a package with an reader/adapter and software that can be connected to a laptop USB port to read OBD1 data from the '95 and earlier models. Similar products are plentiful for '96 and later models (OBD2).

A paperclip can be used to read the codes, as you no doubt already know. The AUTOXRAY EZSCAN 3000 is a hand-held scanner that can connect to and read a number of parameters from the '95 and earlier OBD ports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Other than a code 83 you'll unlikely find any codes for ABS problems. Here's the entire list from the library; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44420.

Only 83 is listed to display an ABS fault other than the ABS indicator. If I'm not mistaken, ABS faults requires supplemental equipment that are read apart from normal OBD codes as ABS is a self contained computer system that runs by itself and doesn't depend on the PCM or anything else to operate other than a working braking system. The indicators are separate from the SES light because of its separate function. All it requires are 12v power and the brake system. Stomp the brakes hard and ABS will run when wheel slip occurs.

Troubleshooting ABS problems in the driveway may require a wiring diagram and some common sense. The ABS control unit hardly fails but the outboard sensors and wiring do fail from their location in proximity to road rash/debris and wheel maintenance disturbing/destroying the toothed reluctors. Each wheel has a speed sensor, reluctor 'teeth', and wiring. Any one failure of any part renders ABS inoperative so inspecting each wheel should reveal the faulty part(s). Each sensor should have resistance when measuring it for a short or open to test for a failed sensor. The test equipment will only pinpoint what you're already doing by physically inspecting each wheel for its ABS parts other than performing extensive testing to the individual solenoid valves to exercise the ABS unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

This is the cable I have, but I guess it's not going to help me here: aldlcable .com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1u

The front sensors seem to have 1.666k ohms resistance but there just seems to be no way of making contact with the pins on the rear with the straight probes I have. I tried for like 20 minutes. I'd take the hubs off but I know that takes at least an hour each side since I have to save them. If I didn't have to save them it doesn't take long, but I cant afford that.

There seems to be 17 mV at the wires for the rear and 35mV at the front.

What's next? Isn't there an easy or free way to get the ABS codes? Wouldn't that tell me exactly where the problem is and save me lots of trouble?

Thanx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Use a 'T' pin from modelers supply or sewing needles to pierce the wiring. Now you can read through the insulation. Be aware that even with reading resistance on all the sensors, this doesn't tell you whether or not any one of the four reluctors/'toothed' rings are broken or chipped. Reading outputs from any sensor may require better knowledge of interpreting signals as they're AC signals with varying amplitude and frequency. Only an oscilloscope will help to see these signals and the wheel would have to be spun up to some minimum speed for any output to make any sense of it all. A digital multimeter may help to at least measure voltage outputs when a wheel is spun to generate the signal pulses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Doesn't the ABS code already tell where the bad signal is coming from?

I wonder why they didn't put the speed sensors on the inner axles, maybe even inside the transmission. That way it wouldn't have to have wire that moves with the suspension for the front. At least the rears are sealed in the hub.

Last edited by BlackPlastic; 04-12-2009 at 09:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If it were that simple there wouldn't be any need for readers dedicated to ABS diagnosing. Not everything is spelled out in black and white as ABS was not meant to be serviced by the average car owner. By designing ABS there's a compomise made for reliability in place of easy servicing. When operating properly ABS is a wonderful enhancement but not a crutch for poor driving skills to lean on to get out of a jam that could have been avoided in the first place. In essence, when ABS fails you still have braking as it is always there for 'old school' drivers able to stop and steer adequately without ABS. Troubleshooting ABS was never meant for car owners to work on so there are no friendly user serviceable parts but that doesn't mean it can't be worked on to isolate some parts that can be checked; the wheel sensors, reluctors, and wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Well I soaked the rings in PB Blaster and scrubbed them shiny. The wires seem fine, but idk what the specified voltage is supposed to be. I don't know what else to do other than to find out what code is triggering the ABS light.

I'm glad the car I drive doesn't have ABS. Well I guess I'd just take the bulb out, but I'm selling this car so I need to get it working right, even if temporarily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There isn't any specific voltage as its going to vary directly with wheel speed along with its frequency. Think of each tooth triggering the sensor to output in synch and as the teeth go by as wheel speed increases so does the amount of signals generated, the frequency rises. I don't know if your state requires ABS to be operational in order to pass inspection as it is an enhanced safety item and not necessary for braking. You may have to check your state's inspection regulations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Well, I went to the dealership and had the codes read. They reported a code 77 - LF solenoid shorted to ground.

So I swapped the connectors between the two solenoids thinking it was just a shorted solenoid, nope, still reported code 77. But the that wire is open to ground, so I guess I'm getting a new ABS module.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Would anyone swap a '95 automatic ABS controller for a '98 automatic ABS controller? Or does anyone live in the Salt Lake City, UT area?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Well I finally found a new ABS controller and it fixed everything. Anyone want a junk ABS controller?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!