|03-17-2009, 02:21 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2009
1993 SL2 w/ brake-stalling problem
we have a great 1993 SL2 w/ about 160k that recently developed a condition in which depressing the brake pedal results in a stall. the car restarts (though requires pumping the throttle, something we never do), and the problem persists. some information re what we've done so far (some of which we did prior to noticing the braking part of the problem):
1. we thought it was a throttle body issue, and so we took that apart as best could, cleaning it (no carbon buildup), and cleaning the AIC;
2. we thought it might be the plugs, so we removed and cleaned these;
3. upon noting the braking part of the problem, we found some online comments suggesting that is might be due to a weak battery. although our battery is not old (8/06), we removed it and found that it required a few hours of trickle charging. upon reinstalling the battery, the car started and idled better, but brake-stall issue continued. however, the fact that a recharged battery made any difference in the idle might suggest something; and
4. we were unable to extract any diagnostic codes from the dash (we used a paper clip to jump the module), so nothing informative in that regard (like a failed EGR).
there are a few other things that have happened to the car that might also be relevant to any diagnosis:
1. a month ago, the ABS motor died, leaving only the regular brakes working. we were quoted $1500 to have it replaced, and we don't have that kind of money, so we planned to just drive it around town with the std. brakes. but, perhaps ABS failure is related? it was several weeks between the ABS failure and the emergence of the stalling problem, however; and
2. we live in TX, and our saturn was the victim of a flash flood in fall 2008, a storm that left 2 inches of water in floor, front and back. we vacuumed it out and it dried, albeit slowly, but we were left with seatbelt motors acting oddly, and chimes that we thought were dead, chiming anew. so, perhaps some sort of short?
well, there you have it. we welcome any advice. we are not mechanics, but we're willing to give anything a try.
thanks so much,
andrew & christina
|SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links|
|03-17-2009, 03:04 PM||#2|
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sacramento, CA
Re: 1993 SL2 w/ brake-stalling problem
i would check your charging system and see what that is. Autozone and kragen will do this for free. Also i would just replace the batt.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|1993 SL2 rear disc brake questions||Ponchoguy||S-Series Tech||11||06-12-2009 12:17 PM|
|1993 SL2 Tranny problem||Hogster||S-Series Tech||1||04-01-2009 03:54 AM|
|rear brake calipers sl2 1993||capttoghog||L-Series Tech||1||07-30-2007 12:35 PM|
|1993 Saturn SL2 problem diagnosis.||llamaWOOT||S-Series General||11||07-11-2005 05:34 PM|
|Stalling problem '93 SL2||Walt93SL2||S-Series Tech||6||02-28-2001 10:37 PM|