SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
alextrox69
alextrox69 is on a distinguished road

Default switching computers

i have a 2000 sl2 manual...i heard that you can swap computers with a sc2 i think to have a higher speed limiter.
does this work fine>? what exact model do i have to get? thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alextrox69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alextrox69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alextrox69 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
alextrox69

Default Re: switching computers

also instead i would just like to remove the speed limiter...thats all i car about

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alextrox69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

You want to remove the speed limiter, learn about how to install and use megasquirt standalone.

You want to swap computers and raise the limiter, you just need to get an SC2 computer that had alloy wheels (and thus should've had the higher speed rated tires factory and the 124 limiter), and the same options your car has (AC, cruise, etc).

Please drive safely [/lecture]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextrox69 View Post
also instead i would just like to remove the speed limiter...thats all i car about
can't remove it, sorry. (well, you can, but it costs WAY more than it's worth).

if you change the PCM from an SL2 to an SC2, you can raise your limiter to 124mph. just make sure that the donor car has the EXACT same options as yours and you'll be fine.

also, there's absolutely no legal reason at all to remove the speed limiter from your car. you (yes, i mean YOU) can't safely drive that fast. my limiter is 108mph and i still haven't been able to hit it at the track. (i've been competing in my saturn since 1999).

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
sleepersatty99
sleepersatty99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

so does this only work for manual tran's, or will it work with auto's too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sleepersatty99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sleepersatty99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sleepersatty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

I can't imagine how long it would take a saturn to not only REACH, but SURPASS, 12freaking4 mph?!? I suppose my '93 SC1 that had a full DOHC conversion from a '94 SC2 had the 124 limit; I wouldn't know. I drove that car like I stole it, all the time, and I never went over 95.
you can't hit over 110 or so in the 1/4, so what's the point? do you just have a need to go out on the hwy and floor it for 10 minutes, and go 'wheee! I hit 130!' ???
grow up.
acceleration is SO much more important that top speed.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
I can't imagine how long it would take a saturn to not only REACH, but SURPASS, 12freaking4 mph?!?
It took me about two miles on a relatively straight road, petal to the metal.

Spedo was just past the 130mph mark, I was hoping to peg 135 indicated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersatty99 View Post
so does this only work for manual tran's, or will it work with auto's too?
works for both - the speed limiter is a fuel cutoff, tranny doesn't matter except when selecting the right "new" PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
twosaturns
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SC2 View Post
It took me about two miles on a relatively straight road, petal to the metal.

Spedo was just past the 130mph mark, I was hoping to peg 135 indicated.
ok flowerboy, exactly what PETAL are you talking about?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
92SC2
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok flowerboy, exactly what PETAL are you talking about?
Bah! <note to self, pay TF attention to how you spell>

Why the skinny daisy on the right.

How about PEDAL, that work for ya?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
twosaturns
Master Member

Quote:
Bah! <note to self, pay TF attention to how you spell>

Why the skinny daisy on the right.

How about PEDAL, that work for ya?
she loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me NOT! (dam n flower)...
I still don't buy the 130 indicated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
yogi1200
yogi1200 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2004 ION-3 Sedan

Maybe the reason I'm only getting around 20MPG is because I "Almost daily" peg the rev limiter at 110MPH. I hit 95 around the 1/2 mile mark. Once I;m on the Interstate it's 40 to 100 in about 10 seconds. I do this almost every day on the way to work. I would LOVE to hit 124! Hell, 150 in my SC1 would be AWESOME!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi1200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi1200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

You need a copilot;
Pick me up ,i'll watch the instruments....................

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
deadmeat3344
deadmeat3344 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1200 View Post
Maybe the reason I'm only getting around 20MPG is because I "Almost daily" peg the rev limiter at 110MPH. I hit 95 around the 1/2 mile mark. Once I;m on the Interstate it's 40 to 100 in about 10 seconds. I do this almost every day on the way to work. I would LOVE to hit 124! Hell, 150 in my SC1 would be AWESOME!!!
have fun dying

Saturns are slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deadmeat3344's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deadmeat3344 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deadmeat3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
hmmmm....pretty happy you live in New Mexico farrrrrrrrrrrr from where im driving...

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
alextrox69

i just hate having it on..really theres some streets where i could top it out with no problem and not crash...and in about i 1/8 mile the car does over 80mph...well i never did that but theres a road that like 1/8 mile..if not its smaller. so in a 1/4th it must hit the limiter i think. please someone tell me how to take it off..i HATE the stupid speed limiter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
92SC2
Advanced Member

Quote:
she loves me, she loves me not, she loves me, she loves me NOT! (dam n flower)...
I still don't buy the 130 indicated
Believe it or not, it makes no never mind to me. I was there, I saw it, I don't need to "prove" it to anyone. But I am telling you that the needle on the spedometer was past 130mph. If you're ever in Southern MD I'll point you to Bill "Bubba" King or Shane. Bubba was riding in Shanes car and either one will vouch for the speed. To top it all off, I lost the race to an old Shelby Daytona.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
alextrox69

Quote:
Believe it or not, it makes no never mind to me. I was there, I saw it, I don't need to "prove" it to anyone. But I am telling you that the needle on the spedometer was past 130mph. If you're ever in Southern MD I'll point you to Bill "Bubba" King or Shane. Bubba was riding in Shanes car and either one will vouch for the speed. To top it all off, I lost the race to an old Shelby Daytona.
how did u get it to go over 108? how did u take off the speed limiter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

He's got a '92 SC. All SC/SC2's got the 124mph limiter. Some SL2's got it as well, when they got the same wheel/tire package as the SC/SC2's. SC's were only available in '91 and '92 as the coupes didn't get the crappy SOHC till '93. SL/SL1/SW1/SW2/SC1 got between 105 and 110 limiters (mines @ 4700rpm in 4th gear 107mph and leaves me wondering the point of having a 5spd).

Doesn't matter with you I believe because the PCM and BCM need to have some setting equal (think it's the VIN) and swapping the PCM will make that setting different and the car won't work. Only applies to '00-'02, maybe as early as '99.5.

Dunno what's taking you guys so long to get to the limiter, doesn't feel like more then 1/2 mile for me, but at that speed I'm not paying attention to the odometer...I've got more important things to worry about

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #20
twosaturns
Master Member

Quote:
sorry, I call BS on this one too. unless you've swapped to a DOHC, there is NO WAY a 85hp '93 SC1 POS can do that. I HAD one, I know. entering I78 each day was a life before your eyes moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!