SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default stock springs

I'm kinda tight for money, but I really wanna lower my car. Cutting springs is bad, I considered it, but I don't really wanna do it. If I used something to compress them, and heated them up, would they then lower the car but not do anything but increase spring rate (something I want anyway, for performance).

I'm poor, at the moment, but have almost every tool and machine at my disposal.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: stock springs

In computer overclocking the is a saying, "Never overclock anything you can't afford to replace if you f**k it up". Car modification is the same way. If money is tight leave the car alone. If it is especially tight don't try for a mod that is risky because it is cheap.

Heating the spring will cause more issues than just making it shorter. You can't trust the springs strength afterwords and if it fails you will be spend more than what good springs would ave cost you in repair bills.

If money's tight put the car on hold. Don't make a mistake that could cost you more in the long run, your car or (worst case) your life, just to save a few bucks. Proper lowing springs don't cost that much. If they are out of your budget then you have no money to fix the car if a modification goes bad either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

you are a computer man, to? my system runs a P3 1.0 o/c at 1300mhz, give or take. asus mobo, i think. its been so long since i biult this system i cant remember.

i am going to by a new computer sometime this summer, tho.

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

I'm a Linux system admin for an ISP here in Albuquerque. My main gaming rig is a bit old. It is a 2.0GHz Athlon XP watercooled and clocked to 2.6GHz with 1.5GB of OCZ DDR RAM and an ATI X900 XT PE (if I rmember right). I don't get to play around with it very much at all, a baby and racing has cut down on the non-work computer time I have.

I'm waiting until the quad core price come down and I'd suggest the same if you are buying. SMP is inherently weak with only 2 cores. 4 core machine will beat the pants off dual cores on SMP compiled applications.

Other than the watercooled gaming rig. I have many other personal machines. Mostly AMD Athlons, but I have a handful of dual P3s and P3 Xeons. I have 3 XP machines and the rest are Linux machines. I have a couple of rare SGIs and a DEC Alpha too. At last count I'm sitting at around 20 machines. My most insane machine is a Dual 3.6GHz, Dual core, hyperthreaded P4 Xeon(4 cores total, 8 if you include hyperthreading) sever with 6GB of RAM. A friend gave it to me, it was an extra from the Red Storm cluster supercomputer test cluster. But it is sitting idle right now. I was going to make a Battlefeild 2142 server with it, but again I lack the time.

Here is a link about Red Storm. http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/ne...ormrising.html

Sorry about getting off topic. Geeked out a bit there.

Last edited by cloud819; 05-18-2007 at 10:43 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
nitsua y zarc
nitsua y zarc is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

AH!! Yesh! computer nerds, like me, haha. I've always been critical of people who claim money is tight, but I want to mod my car. I've always thought to myself, "Then save your money because there are other more important things you can do with your money that mess with your car" Ive been one to spend my extra cash on my car. By extra I mean after all the bills have been paid and I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. If you want it done right, save our money and do it the right way.

But hey, its not my car and Im not you. But if I were, I'd save my money and do the job the right way. Otherwise you run the serious risk of RICE lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitsua y zarc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitsua y zarc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitsua y zarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
HStockSolo
HStockSolo is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
I'm waiting until the quad core price come down and I'd suggest the same if you are buying. SMP is inherently weak with only 2 cores. 4 core machine will beat the pants off dual cores on SMP compiled applications.
Ah, SMP only gets worse (less efficient) with more than 2 cores.

For normal everyday use (including games) a fast single core is still the most efficient way to go. Outside of 3D video card performance, everything labelled performance in the computer industry is just marketing hype. Pretty much a dirt cheap single core 2.4GHz Athlon is sufficient.

Once I realized this I shifted from overclocking (Mobile Athlon 2500+ at 2.5GHZ) to silent/low power (Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz undervolted).

That said, my Intel Core 2 iMac at work sucks. OSX just needs a ton of memory especially running PowerPC applications and Windows XP--2GB doesn't cut it. It doesn't help that Apple puts one of the worst performing hard drives in it.

1995 Saturn SC2 - ST(X)ish
1994 BMW 325i Sport
www.furrin.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HStockSolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HStockSolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HStockSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
dragon370

1997 SC2

being computer nerds and car freaks go hand-in-hand these days, so it would seem.

this old girl is still pretty quick cuz she has 1gb of RAM and a nvidia 256mb AGP card (cant remember the model). but i need a new gaming rig, i have been stuck playing older games like far cry. which are still good games, but i need to play new stuff.

i havent done a lot of research on what's out there lately, cuz i have been so focused on my car. quad core sounds cool, but would be stupidly expensive ill bet. my uncle's dual-core system still kicks the crap out of any other computer i have seen since he biult it a little under a year ago.

i like the idea of quad-core, i may milk this system for a while longer until it gets cheap. then give this system to my younger brother, who is happy playing older games 1000 times through and never complaining. good on him, for not needing the bigger better faster stronger type stuff.

i also thought about buying a high-end gaming laptop, Dell XPS probably, and not having a desktop, besides my dedicated 233mhz Pentium MMX internet server for my website (which i am still trying to fix, the harddrive in the Pentium server failed and i had to begin rebiulding my site from scratch ) and sometimes for browsing the web when my "good" system is defragmenting or i am looking up help while playing a game, but i only do this when i get really really stuck.

Brendan

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
aperseghin
aperseghin is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

<--- nerd here too... I prefer geek.. Im a Server administrator for about 400 different small business in maryland.. I do everything from server builds and deployment to (dare i say it) remote and phone support.. Mostly remote administration..

As far as cars go, i think geeks and cars do go hand in hand.. geeks love toys and a car is just annother toy to mod and upgrade and "Overclock".

P.S.
I have a hand-me-down server as my workstation with dual xeon 2.6 quad cores and 4 gig of ram Vista64 I just got it last week

~~~~~~~~~~http://www.yourlastrites.com/saturn~~~~~~~~~~~~
1999 SC2 3- Door Coupe.
DIY Custom Short Ram Intake.
69,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aperseghin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aperseghin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aperseghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
HStockSolo
HStockSolo is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370 View Post
this old girl is still pretty quick cuz she has 1gb of RAM and a nvidia 256mb AGP card (cant remember the model). but i need a new gaming rig, i have been stuck playing older games like far cry. which are still good games, but i need to play new stuff.
SMP currently doesn't improve game performance.

Gaming perfomance pretty much boils down to spending enough money on the video card, and video memory size is not at all important. The GeForce 7900 series is the best buy, with a Radeon X1950 being pretty close. With prices as they are a 2.4GHz Dual Core Athlon is cheap and the second core only slows down a few games. Adding memory beyond 1GB won't speed up games, nor will using newer/faster memory. As long as you don't want to game on a 30" LCD you don't have to spend much or get the latest stuff.

I do wish it was as easy to get 200hp out of a Saturn as it is to overclock a processor or video card.

1995 Saturn SC2 - ST(X)ish
1994 BMW 325i Sport
www.furrin.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HStockSolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HStockSolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HStockSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Psyco88
Psyco88 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1994 SC2

how could u run vista, its such crap....i used it on my aunts comp once, i wanted to blow the peice of junk up....im searously disapointed in this visa thing...ill stick to windows xp pro or 98 since both dont explode when you break sumthing in the coding. im also a nerd/geek/whathave you/techy. ive been using comps since i can remember, always breakin em so i can learn what to fix and how, but yea..seams like computers and cars do go hand in hand since cars are just computers with wheels and very good speakers but yea searously...vista needs to die...bf2142 style overkill

SC2 94: RIP
SC2 02: Needs love
Mods: Radiator Hoses Exhaust Intake AEM WB02 Apexi Safc II Hood Strut, STB

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psyco88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psyco88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psyco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Good point, if I break something, I don't have the money to fix it. It's not that I'm short on money, money is just tight right at the moment, and I'm impatient...

Ya, my computer is a 1g Compaq, probably 512mb ram, Voodoo 3 video card overclocked from 120 to 220... It does have a neat little cd holder on the front...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HStockSolo View Post
Ah, SMP only gets worse (less efficient) with more than 2 cores.
There isn't much SMP coded stuff out there for PCs. SMP is super inefficent with 2, but it scales pretty well. In SMP one processor takes a master possition. It makes job assignment decissions as well as handles a limited number of jobs on its own. With this design you end up taking a rather large hit on the total amount of actual computing power you have because the master processor has to keep itself pretty free so it can insure that it can still assign tasks. You don't get 100% of 2 cores. As you increase core count you end up getting a higher percentage of the possible computing power (which is larger as well). Granted on a single system you get 100% of the core preformance on task. It is an efficentcy vs speed arguement.Sometimes it is faster to be a little less efficent.

I'm friends with 2 guys at Raven that are playing with the Quad Core 2s now and promising that once the compiliers catch up (and their getting better) things will get really exciting.

SMP isn't the best, but PCs have never been about the best designs.

Wow, this is the most off track I think a thread has ever gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Good point, if I break something, I don't have the money to fix it. It's not that I'm short on money, money is just tight right at the moment, and I'm impatient...

Ya, my computer is a 1g Compaq, probably 512mb ram, Voodoo 3 video card overclocked from 120 to 220... It does have a neat little cd holder on the front...
Cool, I love old Voodoos. I have a whole collection of them From the diamond monster to a 5500. I once had a Voodoo 5 5500 that was running a customized bios and upgraded heatsinks I could hit 207MHz on a cold day with a 120mm fan blowing its backside, but most time it ran at 196MHz.

220Mhz is really high on an V3. Mine with cooling only did 187MHz and that was a 3000 not a V3 1000 like Compaqs have. 3000 were clocked at 166 and 1000 were 120.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
dragon370

1997 SC2

thats okay, we should talk about something other then cars once in a while

yeah voodoo cards were amazing

heh, my first computer had a voodoo PCI diamond monster 4mb linked with another PCI, 8mb, for an astonishing 12mb of video memory! ten years ago that was pretty damn good, tho. 128mb SIMM RAM and a 10gb hdd. i thought that thing was amazing

Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Voodoo 3 wasn't what my computer came with. It was an upgrade to what was in there.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
aperseghin
aperseghin is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

I run Vista64 Ultimate. and I thought it was crap untill i learned how to use it.. as far as "Blowing up" goes, Vista has more error trapping than any of the previous operating systems. Current applications ARE NOT VISTA COMPATABLE, but will Rrun" and then "Blow Up" I only use new applications written for vista.. as a matter of fact besides some VPN software, everything is microsoft...

I took the vista certification and after I did that everything bacame clear.. it dosent work like windows XP works.. its not sapose to...

~~~~~~~~~~http://www.yourlastrites.com/saturn~~~~~~~~~~~~
1999 SC2 3- Door Coupe.
DIY Custom Short Ram Intake.
69,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aperseghin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aperseghin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aperseghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

At that point I think the whole Microsoft idea breaks down though. The reason you go Microsoft is compatability with your old programs and now they don't work; Why keep the investment with Microsoft?

They aren't the only game when it comes to desktops and desktop apps. I don't think anyone cvan threaten their games domanance right now. I'm sure I'll run vista on my next gaming rig. but the desktop war is heating up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
dragon370

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
At that point I think the whole Microsoft idea breaks down though. The reason you go Microsoft is compatability with your old programs and now they don't work; Why keep the investment with Microsoft?

They aren't the only game when it comes to desktops and desktop apps. I don't think anyone cvan threaten their games domanance right now. I'm sure I'll run vista on my next gaming rig. but the desktop war is heating up.
because even most new software out there is going to be Windows based, Windows Vista based. tho it will be several years before the companies stop making XP software. some still make windows 98 software, and the last version of that came out in 1999.

i tried using a Apple iBook laptop that my friend has it was the most confusing thing ever; you get used to using windows and thats what you run

Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370 View Post
because even most new software out there is going to be Windows based, Windows Vista based. tho it will be several years before the companies stop making XP software. some still make windows 98 software, and the last version of that came out in 1999.

i tried using a Apple iBook laptop that my friend has it was the most confusing thing ever; you get used to using windows and thats what you run
It was a bit of a retorical question. There are lots of open source apps that do everything the common person asks for and cost nothing. The solution of buy you OS and the nspend more to buy new apps that will run on your new OS seem funny, when you can get the functionality for free. Again the only thing that really stands out for windows is gaming. Untill that changes I will always have a windows machine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #20
travistuttle
travistuttle is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I have an extra stock suspension you can have if you **** anything up

My street legal go-kart will kick you in the face...

Parting out an 98 sl2, pm me if you need anything

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/travisatuttle/wrecked%20car/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travistuttle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travistuttle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travistuttle is offline   Reply With Quote