SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
Rod
Rod is on a distinguished road

Default Did the SKY concept car just go to Pontiac?

Anyone else notice the picture of the new Pontiac Solstice concept car at the Detroit Auto Show? Looked a lot like the SKY to me...

Wasn't the SKY supposed to be in Detroit? Is it? I didn't see it mentioned in the list of GM concept cars.

Hmmm...

This is what the article on CNN.com said:

The Pontiac Solstice, the roadster concept car unveiled Sunday, was first discussed by designers in September, but by using existing parts and components of other vehicles as well as new design tools, it was a working concept vehicle by Sunday. "There's nothing here to tell you this isn't a production vehicle," said Lutz about the Solstice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap_solstice.jpg (8.1 KB, 93 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2002, 02:18 AM   #2
Tenchi Masaki
Tenchi Masaki is on a distinguished road

I see it listed on some sites for debut and others not listed at all. Oh well. It'll show up soon enough. Internal word is that the Sky will indeed be produced. So the Sky will be a future Saturn model. Probably another 24 - 30 months 'til we see it but it'll be here.
Initial specs are 180 HP 2.2 liter supercharged engine and the car only weighs about the same as the current SC2, about 2400 pounds. It'll probably do 0 - 60 in 6 seconds flat or less. Oh well. I'll know more next month. I guess I'll have to get this as my next car. Was going to see if it'd make it or not and if not I'd end up getting a Z06. But Saturn takes well care of me and their cars are great, and hey, I'm still young, the Z06 can wait awhile longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tenchi Masaki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tenchi Masaki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 02:33 AM   #3
Plastic Gravity

That's clearly not the SKY, at least in the form presented in that CGI mockup.

Look at the location of the rear wheels-there's nowhere for the rear seats. I'm curious what's underneath....anyone want to bet that's an OPEL SPEEDSTER underneath? The Speedsters window frame is very similar, wouldn't you agree?

Then again, we have this tidbit:
Quote:
The Solstice is a rear-wheel-drive execution of the Delta small-car platform, so far designated as a front-drive platform for cars such as the Saturn S series replacement, the Ion. But Mark Reuss, executive director of operations for engineering and specialty vehicles, said the platform was "tunneled," creating space for a rear drivetrain.

At anyrate, I like the shape. Too bad its also never going to get built. And not a strip of cladding on it, eh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-07-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
bert
bert is on a distinguished road

I read that somewhere that GM will unveil a revised (i.e. Lutz-influenced) Saturn Sky at the Chicago car show next month.

You can certainly see the Speedster when you look at the Solstice. BTW, I've also heard that next-generation Pontiacs will not have the "traditional" body-cladding. Good move, IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:12 PM   #5
THX712517

Default WOWOWOW!

I'll try and curb my enthusiasm, but that is one beautiful looking car! If it goes half as well as it looks, I want one! It reminds me of the Jaguar F-Type concept car, except this one has a bigger window frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-08-2002, 04:03 AM   #6
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by bert
I read that somewhere that GM will unveil a revised (i.e. Lutz-influenced) Saturn Sky at the Chicago car show next month.

Sounds like heavy changes made.

Check this out:
Quote:
Sky has generated mixed feedback both outside and within GM. Sources reveal the show car went through a fast series of changes in the week before its preview, reflecting concerns raised during a private showing for the automaker’s Board of Directors. The headlights were redesigned, for one thing, and an odd, high-tech paint was replaced. Lutz reportedly wants to make still more changes before Sky’s formal debut. Nonetheless, Saturn officials seem to believe there may be a place for this youthful prototype in their expanding product line-up.
I really didn't like the original concept, so I guess I'm not expecting much. Several aspects of the car downright bug the crap out of me....they seem an embodiment of the touchy feely crap that weve been getting too much of in the last few years. I have mixed feelings about not supporting the effort, its clear that the car is something different, and lets face it, Saturn certainly needs something more sporty, I just don't feel this is it.

Despite all the spin about the "Group experience" of the SKY, the fact remains that the majority of the time we use our cars, we are the ONLY one in it. The other 90% of the time the car is in use you have to deal with the drawbacks of a car designed for a group hug. That's something I'm not interested in-at least in the concept described to us.

Some aspects of the car I like, I like the LED headlights, the drop top, the rear end treatment, I even like the living "badge" idea. The rest-especially the tepid front end styling- is junk.

It does bug me that despite the fact that there is significant interest within the Saturn community for a more effective version of something like the SC2 or an L Coupe, they continue to **** away more resources away on the SKY, which has recieved a rather lukewarm response.

The Solstice has better lines, a more powerful engine, reardrive, and the INSTRUMENTS are in the right place. I'd take a version of the Solstice, even with FWD, and some good old polymer panels, and call myself happy. I think the Solstice Coupe is pretty neat too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-08-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
kjackson
kjackson is on a distinguished road

The Pontiac Solstice is indeed nice. You can already see some of Lutz's influence in the design details. The shape of the front grill recalls some of Pontiac's designs of the 60's.., think of the Firebird and GTO. This car will probably be produced...if not then we will probably see some of the design in future Pontiac models. I was looking for the Sky but I read somewhere that Lutz wanted to fine tune it a bit. If it looks anything like the Solstice...believe me it is worth the wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #8
rzklkng
rzklkng is on a distinguished road

Post Sky at Chicago Auto Show

The Sky will be at the Chicago Auto Show (I believe it is 2/8-2/15.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rzklkng's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rzklkng reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #9
chris00sw2
chris00sw2 is on a distinguished road

From what I can see in the pictures, I like it. The front end slightly resembles an Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite, with the small grille, and the rear flanks look sporty. I like the clean lines and the lack of cladding.

Even if it doesn't get produced, this line of styling would be a good thing for Pontiac.

-=Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris00sw2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris00sw2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #10
beasjd

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenchi Masaki
Initial specs are 180 HP 2.2 liter supercharged engine and the car only weighs about the same as the current SC2, about 2400 pounds. It'll probably do 0 - 60 in 6 seconds flat or less. Oh well. I'll know more next month. I guess I'll have to get this as my next car. Was going to see if it'd make it or not and if not I'd end up getting a Z06. But Saturn takes well care of me and their cars are great, and hey, I'm still young, the Z06 can wait awhile longer.
If I had the resources to get a Z06, there is no way in hell I'd even look at a Saturn. You'd take the Sky instead of a Z06???? To each his own I guess.

I thought Saturn was supposed to be targeting a young demographic. I'm sorry, but most young people don't want/can't afford a 2 seater roadster convertible. The S2000 was supposed to be aimed at young people, but whenever I see one it's usually being driven by a middle aged man. Same thing with Miatas, Spyders, and the one Thunderbird I've seen. If Saturn really wants to get buyers while they're young, design a better performing SC, and come out with an L series coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beasjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beasjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #11
Tenchi Masaki

Well, since I'm only in my early 20s, I figure I can get a Saturn roadster and customize it a bunch throwing a nice entertainment system in it like my car and make it a bit more unique than the Z06 where it'll just be a regular Z06 but then again, the Z06 does not need improvements. I figure the Z06 can wait another couple years after I have fun with the Sky a bit. Then again, perhaps I'll change my mind. Depends on what the 2003 redesign of the Z06 looks like I guess and how much more it impresses me.
Plus, pulling up to a traffic light, and spanking someone in a Saturn is a lot more unexpected than doing it in a Z06 putting a bit of fun into the Saturn like that.

Last edited by Tenchi Masaki; 01-09-2002 at 12:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tenchi Masaki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2002, 12:31 PM   #12
kjackson
kjackson is on a distinguished road

It's true that there are no "affordable" sports cars out there. The Miata is nice but it has been priced out of reach for younger buyers. What we really need from Saturn or any other company is a real sports car priced from 15k to about 23k. I think it could easily be done...a 4cyl engine, 2 seats, small lightweight chassis and the like. The Miata started out that way but Mazda has since priced it's "affordable" sports car above 25k for most models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:00 PM   #13
Plastic Gravity

Everyone is getting on the "affordable fun" wagon except Saturn.

Ford has the SVT Focus-170hp

Dodge has the SRT4 Neon-205Hp

Nissan has the Sentra SE-R-170Hp

Honda has the Civic Si-160Hp

All these cars are under 20K.

The matrix/vibe twins will sell for over 20K with the 180HP motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2002, 01:12 PM   #14
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Well, since I'm only in my early 20s, I figure I can get a Saturn roadster and customize it a bunch throwing a nice entertainment system in
Plus, pulling up to a traffic light, and spanking someone in a Saturn is a lot more unexpected than doing it in a Z06 putting a bit of fun into the Saturn like that.
Youre not going to be spanking anybody in the Sky.

180HP won't be enough to move what will likely be a heavy, four seat convertible with any authority. Look for accelleration on par with a current SC2. If that weren't enough to discourage you, Saturn has put the instruments(which include such useful devices as the tachometer and boost gauge) in the center of the dash, so your passengers can tell you when to shift. Furthermore, the shifter is designed to fold up, which quite frankly doesn't sound like its going to be an elegant device that changes gears like a knife thru warm butter. Nothing like completing that 2-3 shift and having the shifter fold up into the console, eh?

OTOH, after you get busted(after loosing the stop light drag to a lowly Civic) you can tell the cop you couldn't see the speedometer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2002, 01:38 PM   #15
Tenchi Masaki

Cool

Hmmmm... a 182 HP V6 engine in an L300 weighing 3200 lbs. does 0 - 60 in just over 7 seconds... The Sky, weighing about 800 lbs. less with a 180 HP S/C I4 engine, well, I guess we'll see the numbers soon. Hopefully at the auto show in Chicago they'll release more specs about it. I do expect it to be faster than the L300 of course. And the L300, well, that pretty much spanks all of the competition in its class. So we'll see I guess... Too soon to say with no specs out. Damn, was really hopeing the car would be at the NAIAS oh well....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2002, 02:04 PM   #16
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Hmmmm... a 182 HP V6 engine in an L300 weighing 3200 lbs. does 0 - 60 in just over 7 seconds... The Sky, weighing about 800 lbs. less with a 180 HP S/C I4 engine, well, I guess we'll see the numbers soon
You actually think the Sky will be 2400lbs? Hahahhahahah. That's a good one. I expect 2800+. We'll see, that is if the SKY is more than VAPOURmetal. I agree that the L300 is pretty fast for a sedan with a 3150lbs curb wieght...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2002, 09:44 PM   #17
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
Everyone is getting on the "affordable fun" wagon except Saturn.

Ford has the SVT Focus-170hp

Dodge has the SRT4 Neon-205Hp

Nissan has the Sentra SE-R-170Hp

Honda has the Civic Si-160Hp

All these cars are under 20K.

The matrix/vibe twins will sell for over 20K with the 180HP motor.
The only way Saturn will compete with those numbers is by offering that 2.0L Turbo Ecotec motor as soon as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2002, 06:35 PM   #18
DP49657
DP49657 is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

I hope the sky does get built,but I thought maybe Buick took it away. I don't recall the name but it looked like maybe the sky,might have been to big tho. Did anyone else see the blue Buick convertable in Detroit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DP49657's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DP49657 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread