SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
CM400T
CM400T is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Checkered Flag Rebuild hydraulic floor jack

Hello,

A few months ago, I bought a second SL2. I have done a pretty good amount of work (brakes, suspension) and my jack is starting to fail after several years. My jack will drop its load by one inch every, let's say, 30 seconds. So you need to use QUALITY jack stands, and have them standing by.

I know the jack might just need a fluid change or bleeding, though I doubt it. If I need to do a rebuild, how do I identify the OEM? I really don't want to "just buy another one". If I can repair an unstable computer motherboard by soldering in new capacitors (of the correct type, brand and rating), I can rebuild my jack. I just need to find out what parts I need (just like the PC motherboard).

How do I identify the OEM of my jack to buy parts and rebuild it? This is the AutoZone Duralast 2.25-ton unit (NOT the "rapid rise" model that takes fewer handle pumps to raise the load). It was a package deal with two quality jack stands.

Please let me know how to ID the OEM on this. I'd rather rebuild than buy a new one.

Thanks!

Last edited by CM400T; 10-15-2015 at 06:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CM400T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CM400T is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Rebuild hydraulic floor jack

Why not start with new fluid and trying to get the fluid bleed screw to seal better, prior to trying to taking apart something with questionable parts ID, engineering and availability.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm not sure how one would ID this floor jack unless some information remained stamped into the product itself. I did search on floor jack manufacturers and came up with one which pictures a 2.25 ton jack (with jack stands) like the one advertised on AutoZone's website. I'd expect this product to be made in China.

http://www.globalsources.com/manufac...loor-Jack.html

Scroll down to the tenth item on the first page of the link (hydraulic trolley jack). If you can find a company which repairs hydraulic floor jacks reasonably near you they may be able to tell you what company supplies AutoZone its DuraLast jack and whether or not it can be rebuilt.

http://hyjacks.com/H2.HTM

The above link is this company's sharing of history on what has happened to floor jack manufacturers....in case you might be interested.

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: additional information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:54 AM   #4
CM400T
CM400T is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Happy Re: Rebuild hydraulic floor jack

Thank you. I should add that I haven't tried anything yet, and of course I'll proceed with caution. I'll try the basic changing of the fluid first. I'm just grateful that car repairs *_should_* be over for a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CM400T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CM400T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

I've fixed them by just taking them apart, cleaning and putting them back together without changing anything but the fluid.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Dex III/Mercron works fine as a jack fluid...as long as you get the old fluid out.

My Performance Tool (made by Wilmar Tools) 3ton jack (I go over-kill on my lifting equipment...hehe) managed to get an air bubble in the "impossible" to get at part, I figured it was toast as the fix's I could find didn't work so I bought another one. Figured out it wasn't sucking fluid back into the pump piston but if I poured fluid into it it'd jack & lock perfectly.
What finally fixed it was pulling the cylinder up, locking it in place, filling the housing to the fill screw hole (way way way overfull) and putting 100-200lbs of pressure on the lift pad while playing with the handle locking & unlocking it, eventually there was a sucking "POP" kind of sound and it's worked nearly perfectly ever since
So now I have 2 low profile 3ton jacks, the standard profile ones were the same price and went to the same height so I figured I start out with lower ones and have more car lifting ability.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #7
dcjredline
dcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura aboutdcjredline has a spectacular aura about

I just had to do an oil change in my jack... I must have gotten it about 13 or more years ago from Advance Auto. It would not pump so well once it got past half way up. The oil change did the trick. Let us know if it works for your problem too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcjredline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcjredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcjredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Dogman68
Dogman68 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Rebuild hydraulic floor jack

Dear sir I noticed you had repaired a p.c.m. I was wondering if you could tell me what to look for in my 99 saturn sl pcm Iam not getting fire to my spark plugs and have done all the normal fixes but still no spark won:t start I took my pcm apart and noticed it was very clean inside no burn marks all prongs were very clean I was thinking you might have some ideas for me I also am needing to repair my floor jack ive had it many years and it is well built surely it would be fixable thanks for any thoughts Dogman68

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dogman68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dogman68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dogman68 is offline   Reply With Quote