SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #3821
dummo
Advanced Member
dummo will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

After a year or so without the RKE system working and checking and re-checking fuses, I tried the checkout counter Fob tester at Advanced Auto Parts a few weeks ago and noticed the Fob not activating the unit. Thinking either I need a new battery or The Fob Checker does, I got around to installing a fresh battery I had purchased long before Obama was a US Citizen - Didn't Work. Today, I figured I'd buy a package of Two fresh 2032 batteries at The Home Depot and try again with certainty that I was being way too optimistic. I was pleasantly surprised when that did the trick!

So Dummo went a year with a dead battery in his Fob, proving that he chose a good screen name.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #3822
BV22
BV22 will become famous soon enoughBV22 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1

Saturday, changed the oil, filter, serpentine belt and rotated the tires. As a reward for my work, the P0420 cleared itself and the SES light went off during the post-oil change drive.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
238k 07/14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #3823
Steve44
Steve44 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Although it was yesterday, Changed the Radiator, changed the Oil and finally used a longer Filter (PH3600), changed the transmission fluid and filter, and could not believe what I saw, yup the OE filter, complete with magnet at 184,000 KM. Changed the PCV valve to the fixed orifice valve, and relubed the caliper pins.
Even though I gave the trans lines a good coating of PB Blaster 5 times during the past week, the lower line still broke . I have all of my tools, compressors, the Jack and stands at a friends place 90 minutes away since I lost the house in a breakup, and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I thought I had fittings and tubing that I could make a patch line out of the way, but I guess my friends kids needed my stuff more than me. I had to use vice grips to get this fitting off of the rad, and it showed. There was no way this fitting could ever be used again. Now I was screwed. I managed to find an air fitting (for an air tool) and some neoprene line that they hadn't taken, and fortunately a couple of those "fuel injection hose" clamps. So far it's holding, and I've driven about 200kms since the repairs yesterday.
I looked at a local online auto supplier and they have the hose (apparently) and it's pretty cheap (About $25.) Only problem now, is that to replace it, I have to make the 90 minute drive, not to mention the mess, Oh man did I make a mess. Thanks goodness for Zorball.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #3824
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Took out the NGK G-Power spark plugs and cleaned out the wells with a paper towel wrapped around a screwdriver (affixed with tape)

The plugs are shown in order from timing chain to the right. They were installed over 4000 miles ago. The gap has not changed. These are not fine wire like the Bosch brand, but are finer than standard NGK plugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plugwellcleaner.jpg (23.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg gpowerplug1.jpg (24.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg gpowerplug2.jpg (27.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg gpowerplug3.jpg (23.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg gpowerplug4.jpg (26.2 KB, 9 views)

1993 SL2 AT - 112k
running PP 5w-20/5w-30 + Purolator PL 20195

:-) Adding TC-W3/MMO to the gas with positive results (-:
Choose the red pill

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 08-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: additional info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #3825
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Wife drove the '95 SW2 over a curb - busted Rear Trailing Arm.
Dorman 905-811 $54.79 from Rock - easy job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95TA.JPG (115.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RRTA.JPG (63.1 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #3826
700+SL2
700+SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Today I saved a 99 SW2 from being scrapped. Initially to be the substitute while I tear into my SL2s engine but my wife already fell in love with it. So it looks like I'll be fighting her over it and then she'll keep it when I'm done.
So on top of what my SL needs, I'll be tending to the SW's needs as well.

Ressurecting a 1995 SL2 mileage unknown.
...and a 99 SW2 172K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 700+SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 700+SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
700+SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #3827
catric69
catric69 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Purchased a pair of Pioneer 6.5" two-way speakers for my front doors. I managed to install one tonight. I'll finish the second speaker install tomorrow. Hopefully!

'13 Camry SE
'13 Outback Limited 3.6R

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to catric69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help catric69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
catric69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #3828
DG3
DG3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

What did I do today? I finally got rid of my Saturn. Yay!

This was an awesome forum with a really great group of people. While I won't miss the car or the brand, if I can find a Honda forum that is half as helpful as you folks have been, I will do just fine with my new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DG3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DG3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #3829
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Gassed up after a road trip of over 300 miles. Netted 38 miles per gallon.

I saw an odometer check on the freeway and noted my trip meter reading. At the end of the 5 mile odometer check, my trip meter advanced exactly 5 miles.

1993 SL2 AT - 112k
running PP 5w-20/5w-30 + Purolator PL 20195

:-) Adding TC-W3/MMO to the gas with positive results (-:
Choose the red pill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #3830
yami
yami is on a distinguished road

Just bought it yesterday and impatiently waiting for tomorrow to get the tag and can drive it.

Question!
My SC2 missing a little black plastic tab which you grab it and lift to release fuel door. That with little gas pump icon on it.

Do you guys know what is its exact name or part number or where can I get one?

Thnx you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yami's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yami reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #3831
Steve44

1999 SL1

Do you mean just the plastic part of the lever? The lever still works?
If so, then a trip to your local pick and pull is in order. I'd wait though.
There may be a few more things you may want tp pick up while you're there.
The Pick and Pull is kinda like a candy store for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #3832
yami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve44 View Post
Do you mean just the plastic part of the lever? The lever still works?
If so, then a trip to your local pick and pull is in order. I'd wait though.
There may be a few more things you may want tp pick up while you're there.
The Pick and Pull is kinda like a candy store for me.
Thank you so much.
I am leaving to a junk yard.
I just realized its reverse shift lights are not working. I checked them and one is entirely blown but the other one is in working condition.
I even put the good one in the other side but still it does not lit.
Any idea or part needed to purchase for it from junk yard?
And my SC2 is Automatic transmission. Richpin teaches about manual one but mine looks like different.

Last edited by yami; 09-01-2014 at 12:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yami's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yami reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #3833
Steve44

1999 SL1

Start with new bulbs. You can cut out the sockets from another at the JY. It is also possible that you may need a range selector (it's on the side of the transmission) but you must rule out every other possibility first.
Richpin has a video for just about everything to do with the S-Series. Keep looking. Happy Hunting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #3834
yami

Quote:
Start with new bulbs. You can cut out the sockets from another at the JY. It is also possible that you may need a range selector (it's on the side of the transmission) but you must rule out every other possibility first.
Richpin has a video for just about everything to do with the S-Series. Keep looking. Happy Hunting.
Thank you for info.
I could not find something among ripchin videos that explain Automatic Transmission Backup Light Switch too. Almost all videos in youtube are showing manual transmission.
I thoroughly checked same area in mine. Absolutely there is nothing like that switch under battery compartment area.
I just got to home from junk yard. Got some parts and checked there too.
I took a picture from what I have in my car!! Its here:

i61.tinypic.com/2r56cly.jpg

I think this is what you call range selector, but I have no idea what is it and what does it do and why it maybe bad and have relationship to backup light?

It is something flat with two separate sockets on it. One up and one down, in the side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yami's Reputation
Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #3835
Steve44

1999 SL1

That IS the range selector. Search Box at the top of the page will get you all the info you need. If you can't find Richpins videos about TAAT's there are some others that are helpful, on Richpin 06's youtube channel.
An invaluable contributor.
The range selector turns on the reverse lights among a host of other things.
You must make sure that the connectors are good and corrosion free. There is a good spray for this, I just don't remember what it is, OldNuc knows what it is. If you change it, there is a finely detailed process in aligning it. Missing, or not properly carrying out a step will only result in further frustration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #3836
yami

Quote:
That IS the range selector. Search Box at the top of the page will get you all the info you need. If you can't find Richpins videos about TAAT's there are some others that are helpful, on Richpin 06's youtube channel.
An invaluable contributor.
The range selector turns on the reverse lights among a host of other things.
You must make sure that the connectors are good and corrosion free. There is a good spray for this, I just don't remember what it is, OldNuc knows what it is. If you change it, there is a finely detailed process in aligning it. Missing, or not properly carrying out a step will only result in further frustration.
Literally it is my last post about this problem because if I really cannot find the a switch on transmission, then it means better I do not mess up with stuff and I need to take it to my mechanic!!

In this video (I time stamped it), you can see bare automatic transmission from top, after removing battery compartment.
You see there is not such a switch to open with 7/8" socket, like in manual transmissions, but instead there is a black flat plastic which few wires are connected to it.

youtu.be/1tlzE9Jw-90?t=10m19s

In the other hand, I cannot assume that flat black plastic is switch! Because in sites, they are selling exactly same 7/8" socket size switch for both manual and automatic transmission.

Would you or anyone else address me where exactly is that switch, please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yami's Reputation