SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Front brakes sticking on my '06

I had it parked outside since last October and just started driving it again. I noticed it didn't coast as easily as before and it would up shift later than before as if something was dragging it down. At a stop light I put in neutral and it didn't roll on an incline. When I got back, I couldn't touch the front weeks they were so hot. I replaced the pads and rotors a few months prior and I'm pretty sure the calipers were sliding, so it seems the hoses are collapsed inside. Any other possibility's?
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Front brakes sticking on my '06

Given the number of problems with collapsed bake hoses, I'd go with that also. If you open up the bleeder will fluid continue to run out, If not, pinched brake line.
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

replace the hoses. do all four wheels.
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Well, I ordered the front hoses a while back and went to install them today. Got the front end up on stands. Stepped on the brake hard for a few seconds, and sure enough, I couldn't turn the wheels by hand. Took off the wheels and went to loosen a brake bleeder. Expecting fluid to shoot out. Nope, just normal flow. It's NOT the hoses. Got the caliper off after squeezing with a c clamp and the caliper pins are fine. Moving smoothly. The only thing left are the calipers. Or more specifically, the pistons. Turns out this caliper uses a composite piston material, not steel, which after 10+ years deteriorates and swells causing sticking in the caliper. I recall having the same issue with a Ford that used these type of pistons. Just ordered a set of new pistons and rebuild kits for $32. Some would say to just replace the calipers, but I'd rather keep the original GM housings, plus it will cost less than half as much and there is no core shipping to pay for.

If anyone needs hoses, let me know.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

My 2 cents, I just had a similar issue with my Aura. Smoking hot brakes and even the wheel was hot to touch. Replaced caliper, a month later, brake was stuck again. I tried to squeeze the piston back with a C clamp. No way could I move it. I got and installed a replacement under warranty. All seemed good for about a month. Then the brake stuck again. This time, I opened the bleeder and could squeeze the piston back in easily. Took the brake hose fitting off the caliper and pushed a fine solid strand of telephone wire up through it. It would only go half way, as far as the clamp on the bracket. Replaced the hose and the braking is back to normal. From what I can tell the plugged/collapsed brake hose acts like a check valve. If you open the bleeder and pump the brakes it pushes the tube inside the hose back to straight through and all seems good. Then it takes a while for it to block backflow to the master cylinder and the brake sticks on. Then as the brake gets hot, the fluid expands making the brake stick even harder.
I nearly stripped the flare nut at the top of the brake hose getting it off. Ended up spraying it with Seafoam Deep Creep, then heating it with a propane torch, then spraying with the Deep Creep when it was hot. It broke free pretty easily after that.

Here is a good write up on the brake hose issue:
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/i...alve-imbalance
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...I would spend the extra money and get coated calipers and russell steel braided lines, if your going to keep the vue for a while. With the braided steel brake lines you get a much better pedal feel also, just my .02, DC
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member

Rebuilt the calipers and put in new pistons. Works great now with no dragging brakes.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #8
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
My 2 cents, I just had a similar issue with my Aura. Smoking hot brakes and even the wheel was hot to touch. Replaced caliper, a month later, brake was stuck again. I tried to squeeze the piston back with a C clamp. No way could I move it. I got and installed a replacement under warranty. All seemed good for about a month. Then the brake stuck again. This time, I opened the bleeder and could squeeze the piston back in easily. Took the brake hose fitting off the caliper and pushed a fine solid strand of telephone wire up through it. It would only go half way, as far as the clamp on the bracket. Replaced the hose and the braking is back to normal. From what I can tell the plugged/collapsed brake hose acts like a check valve. If you open the bleeder and pump the brakes it pushes the tube inside the hose back to straight through and all seems good. Then it takes a while for it to block backflow to the master cylinder and the brake sticks on. Then as the brake gets hot, the fluid expands making the brake stick even harder.
I nearly stripped the flare nut at the top of the brake hose getting it off. Ended up spraying it with Seafoam Deep Creep, then heating it with a propane torch, then spraying with the Deep Creep when it was hot. It broke free pretty easily after that.

Here is a good write up on the brake hose issue:
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/i...alve-imbalance
I just dealt with this issue on one of my L series front brakes. I posted a few photos in the L series forum. After dissecting the faulty hose i discovered that the hose had not actually collapsed or imploded. The metal ring where the hoses mounts to the strut had slowly built up rust between it and the hose. Slowly compressing it until it closed off.When I cut the metal ring off the hose was no longer restricted.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 L300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:05 AM   #9
Simranto09
Simranto09 is on a distinguished road

Given the number of problems with collapsed bake hoses, I'd go with that also. If you open up the bleeder will fluid continue to run out, If not, pinched brake line.
Simranto09 is offline   Reply With Quote