SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
chrswbrwn
chrswbrwn is on a distinguished road

Default Brake Sensor/Indicator Rubbing Early

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2000 Saturn SL. I started hearing a screeching sound coming from the wheel. I can hear it when the window is down, especially when the noise is reflecting off a curb or something. Thinking it might be a brake sensor/indicator, I removed the wheel and inspected the front brakes. There is still about 1/4" of pad left, but the sensor tab is scraping against the rotor on the inside front left wheel. (I'm referring to the metal tab attached to the brake pad).

Has anyone ever had a sensor tab get bent inward and started making noise before it was time to replace the brakes? Any ideas why this would happen? The car seems to be braking fine.

I have not changed the brakes yet on this car, since they were still in good shape when I first got it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrswbrwn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrswbrwn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrswbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Brake Sensor/Indicator Rubbing Early

Someone probably bent it a bit when installing it. As long as you keep an eye on the remaining pad life, you can bend it back out of the way or cut it off completely. Be sure to frequently check the remaining pad (on both sides of the rotor) frequently, and replace the pads before they wear completely out.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote