SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
wolfehunter
wolfehunter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default 98 SL2 Shifter Linkage?

Pulled in the driveway tonight, put it in reverse (5 speed) and I think I felt my linkage unhook. Transmission is stuck in Reverse and the shifter moves freely front and back without depressing the clutch but no side to side movement. Is this an easy fix and can someone walk me through it? All advice welcome. thanks, Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
wolfehunter

1998 SL2
Default Re: 98 SL2 Shifter Linkage?

Just got done doing a search and I'm hoping I get lucky and just need a shifter bushing as it looks like it is a common problem. sounds like I need to look on ebay if I need one or I saw a post about Toyota siper linkage bushings from Advanced Auto will work in a pinch. the steel one sounds better. also read where someone used a bolt, nut and a few washers. I'll check it out tomorrow night after work and hopefully get to the root of my problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
aa4lr
aa4lr has a spectacular aura aboutaa4lr has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter View Post
Just got done doing a search and I'm hoping I get lucky and just need a shifter bushing as it looks like it is a common problem. sounds like I need to look on ebay if I need one or I saw a post about Toyota siper linkage bushings from Advanced Auto will work in a pinch. the steel one sounds better. also read where someone used a bolt, nut and a few washers. I'll check it out tomorrow night after work and hopefully get to the root of my problem.
The center console should come up with just four screws removed, two in back, two in front.

If it is the shifter bushing (which is likely), you may be able to do a temporary fix using two or three wire ties to hold the shifter cable end over the ball.

I would recommend the shifter bushing replacements sold on eBay -- either the Delrin or the Stainless bushing -- your choice.

I cannot recommend the Toyota wiper bushings. I tried them for about three months, and the bushing was so tight it worked the end off of my shifter cables. I opted to replace the cables entirely -- a $260 part from the dealer. The cables come with a new shifter bushing.

Good luck!

Bill Coleman
2001 Saturn SC2 Auto (3/13-...) "Yellow"
1999 Saturn SL2 Auto (11/09-...) "White"
1995 Saturn SC1 Manual (9/08-...) "Gold"
1994 Saturn SL1 Auto (7/94-1/04) 144,000 miles "Green"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aa4lr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aa4lr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aa4lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Dorman (aka Motormite "HELP!") now makes a bushing for our cars. Part #14043. No word on the forums yet as to its performance / quality / ease of installation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
metz281
metz281 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

dont forget to check the transmission end as well. The clips lose their grip after have the transmission removed several times (for clutch job) and can pop off. Make the shifter feel like a wet noodle. LOL There are 4 clips, One holds the cable to the case, and the other holds the cable end to the linkage, on both linkages. Have an assistant work the linkage and make sure its all hooked up before you rip out the console.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metz281's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metz281 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metz281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1^^^ Check drawing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

Thank you for the information and the linkage picture. Had my son wiggle the shifter but no go at the transmission end. All clips looked to be in place. Took the console off and found the one cable is unhooked on the passenger side and I found the pieces of the black plastic bushing. Need the car for work Monday so I'm going to try either the HELP part #14043 I saw in one of the posts or the Toyota wiper linkage bushing part #49448 at Advanced Auto tomorrow after Sunday School and Church. Wish me luck! NUC......you're the best!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The HELP rack now has a specific Saturn shifter bushing. Try to get that one. The others can be difficult to install. Madpogue posted the part number and I did not capture it as I have the steel bushing installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

While I have the console tore apart should I be lubricating or servicing anything else in there? We're on our way to a Advanced Auto for the part and taking the family out to lunch. I'll look for the specific Saturn part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

When the care is off you should be able to put it into any gear without using the clutch. Just FYI.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
KCdave
KCdave is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

This one is funny for me. I had forgotten that I patched the linkage for my daughter about 3 years ago.
Enough to get her to the shop for a proper fix.

Guess what?

It's still there and working fine.
Just some vinyl Zip Strips (wire ties)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shifter Patch.jpg (56.4 KB, 67 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
aa4lr
aa4lr has a spectacular aura aboutaa4lr has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter View Post
Need the car for work Monday so I'm going to try either the HELP part #14043 I saw in one of the posts or the Toyota wiper linkage bushing part #49448 at Advanced Auto tomorrow after Sunday School and Church.

If you can find the 14043 part, then try that. Don't use the Toyota wiper bushing. Order the replacement part off e-Bay. In the meantime, two or three well-placed wire ties will allow you to shift fine for a few days, so long as you take it easy.

I used the Toyota Wiper Bushing for three months and it worked the end off my shifter cables. It's too tight on the shift ball and doesn't twist properly.

Bill Coleman
2001 Saturn SC2 Auto (3/13-...) "Yellow"
1999 Saturn SL2 Auto (11/09-...) "White"
1995 Saturn SC1 Manual (9/08-...) "Gold"
1994 Saturn SL1 Auto (7/94-1/04) 144,000 miles "Green"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aa4lr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aa4lr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aa4lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

[QUOTE=aa4lr;1408693I used the Toyota Wiper Bushing for three months and it worked the end off my shifter cables. It's too tight on the shift ball and doesn't twist properly.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly the problem with the Toyota part. It will ruin your factory cable and they are expensive to replace and the afremarket cable is to flexible.

The stainless steel bushing will work just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
wolfehunter

1998 SL2

They had to order the part at Advanced Auto and it won't be in for 3 days so I took the advice and used a couple of nylon ties for a temporary fix. Threw a couple in the glove compartment for spares and left the console off until I get it fixed. They wanted $21 plus tax for the part so I decided to order the Delrin one off of Ebay for $17 and some odd cents shipped to my door. Says it has a lifetime warranty and aa4lr suggested it as well so I'll give it a try. Thanks for getting me going again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!