SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
Default So...someone "borrowed" my wheel

Woke up this week and found my car on a jack, and one wheel missing (yes, I live in a city where this happens). They left all the pieces to the jack, and the wheel cover. After calling junk yards, I found a replacement OEM wheel 96 miles away and picked it up. A few more hours later, I had a new tire from a shop. So, for about the cost of a window replacement, I'm now up a jack and have a clean rim (just one). Which is great, because my jack rusted out because the trunk leaks.

Question: I know Saturns used to be high on the "easy to steal" lists, and even know someone who drove the wrong Saturn home from Target on accident (yah, the key worked), but I didn't think anyone cared about Saturn Rims.

My friend though thinks that it's for a different car as the 4-colt pattern is the same as Honda/Civics. Is that true? Given that it was only one wheel - I think I just contributed to our neighborhood fund.

Also on the plus side, I got to know my local junk yards.. pretty nice guys and I might use them in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: So...someone "borrowed" my wheel

Pretty much every small car ever use's the 4x100 lug pattern. The only "gotcha" with the S-Series is the stupid-large hub...hard to find wheels to fit the S-Series but they fit on darn near everything else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Pretty much every small car ever use's the 4x100 lug pattern. The only "gotcha" with the S-Series is the stupid-large hub...hard to find wheels to fit the S-Series but they fit on darn near everything else.
Honda civics...... I don't know how many sets of steel 14s and 15s I've sold to Hondafanboys.... but their hub bore is 56.1 and we are 57.1

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

They might be the most common *shrugs*
Here's a list of all the 4x100 cars out there
https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/4x100/

Just because it's on the list doesn't mean it'll fit the S-Series, most other cars have a smaller hub and it's usually not worth the machine shop cost to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I don't even take the keys out of any of our cars.....

And I have lived here over 30 years.

No problems.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknigh7 View Post
So, for about the cost of a window replacement, I'm now up a jack and have a clean rim (just one). Which is great, because my jack rusted out because the trunk leaks.
lol. I always knew crime did pay but never thought of it being win-win

Trunk fix is pretty easy - remove panels and reseal, or drill enough small holes to let the water out (and paint the bare metalto prevent rust)

Quote:
My friend though thinks that it's for a different car as the 4-colt pattern is the same as Honda/Civics. Is that true?
As a former presidential candidate once said, "at this point, what does it matter?"

Some thief wanted it and took it, and you are out time and money. Sorry, man, I hate reading about those kinds of things. But at least it wasn't left on cinder blocks or just lowered onto the ground.

Hey, does your new jack have a Saturn part number on it, or a Honda part number? Might be a clue on where the part went to, assuming the jack wasnt also stolen.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I've got a set of nice original 5 spoke Toyota MR2 Spyder wheels in my garage that I had on my 01 Corolla, and although they're the same 4x100mm pattern, the hub bore is just too small to fit the SL2... I've considered boring them out to run them, but just haven't bothered to even try yet lol

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Thanks guys,

I didn't know that about our wheel. Sounds like we're a "universal donor". :P

Should it happen again, is the clearance the same across all S-Series wheels and years? I might not try to find an exact replacement, and just go for something that matches the size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I believe the steel wheels use a different offset from the alloy wheels but they all interchange without issue, at least when paired with a stock size tire.

All stock alloy wheels are 15", not all stock type steel wheels are 15"...some are 14".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!