SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default DRL Module Location

Is the DRL Module in the Body Control Module or is it a separate box ? I did a search and found nothing on it here. There's not even any pictures online of one. If it's part of the Body Control Module from what I've read about them, you can't just pull one from a yard and install it. It has to be programmed to your VIN number to be able to work. I don't know how much truth there is in that statement. I'm having DRL issues, so I needed to know where that module is and if there is one. The relay is working fine, I switched them out and it has the same issues of them not coming on at times, the brights not working or only one DRL works or one bright light and the other side is off or they're both out switching the brights on. All wiring and bulbs look good. The only thing I can figure it's the Control Module. Thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: DRL Module Location

No such thing as a drl module. Remember, misinformation is easily spread on the internet, the new world way for disinformation at the speed of light. The bcm alone is eleven pages of information if you'd like a copy (pm me an email address). A partial reprint of the bcm for '01 L200 ('03 is different);

Daytime running lamps (DRL) are controlled by the BCM based on input from the high-beam headlamp circuit 1200, the low-beam headlamp circuit 1201, the parking-brake circuit 1134 and the ignition switch state.

When DRL operation is desired, the BCM switches circuit 592 to ground. This action energizes the DRL relay. When energized, the DRL relay operates the left high-beam headlamp and the right high-beam headlamp as a series circuit (one-half of the battery voltage across each high beam headlamp).

When DRL operation is not desired, the BCM does not provide ground for the DRL relay. When not energized (as when the high-beam headlamps are desired) the DRL relay operates the right and the left high-beam headlamps as a parallel circuit (full battery voltage across each high-beam headlamp).

For DRL operation, the parking brake must be fully released, the ignition switch must be in the RUN position and the headlamp switch must be in the Off position. Under normal operating conditions, the feedback voltage to the BCM measured at circuit 1200 is (see chart below):

Mileage remains with BCMs if transferred and cannot be altered. BCMs can be transferred to another car but requires 'marrying' the bcm to the ecm/pcm in a 30 minute relearn procedure for Passlock security otherwise the foreign bcm simply triggers Passlock security and disables injector operation until a relearn procedure is performed. GM can perform the relearn procedure in 10 minutes via its spendy Tech II scantool......

Which car is having drl issues and can you describe what's wrong? '01' L200's differ from '03 L200's. '03 L200's have a drl resistor, changing drl circuitry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi fd- wow that is one helluva erudite explanation of modules. so the drl(daytime running lights) is controlled by the bcm(body control module?). hmm.. where is the bcm. reminds of when I was called nfg during the vnw back in 68. some even said I was a card carrying member of cba to which I replied wtf. have strangely had no problems with drl, bcm or electronic anomalies in my 186k mile L100 . thanks bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hmm.. where is the bcm...
The BCM sits atop and is attached to the glove box. If you remove the contents of the glove box and look inside at its top you'll see four tabs through it. That's the bottom of the BCM.

320,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The one cell between my ears can't retain much. Credit goes to my abilities to copy and paste from service manuals so no one can make the mistake about my intel.....intelli..........intelligence. I despise abbreviations but easily understood nfg, vnw in '68, but had to look in the urban dictionary for cba.

Most of us here as well as the rest of the diminishing Saturn owners don't have drl, bcm or electronic problems but they do exist. Murphy's law - if it's possible, it will happen. Thankfully electronics may have borrowed some ideas from military school of thought to harden mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, optical and electronic gear for combat. Test until they break, improve and test until they survive so they don't fail. The few that do are from unanticipated events, what wasn't thought of during the what ifs discussion during design and testing. Even basic training ramps up men and women into eventual armed combat with mind and body skills.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote